霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 6 Discussion 🌬 🏘

It turns out 例の (rather than 例 in isolation) means “the usual”. 調子 here is likely “manner; way”.

So this is more like “She asked again in her usual manner” (referring to the fact that なんていったんだい seems to be something of a catchphrase for ピコットばあさん).

Slight typo here: it’s さあ、朝飯がさめちまいますよ。 It’s the verb さめる, “to get cold”, followed by John’s interesting take on てしまう. So this is something like “hey, breakfast is getting cold, you know”.

ごらんのように as a phrase in itself means “as you can see”. I recommend the vocab sheet :wink:

I don’t have time right now to look at the rest in detail, except to say that in the last sentence she definitely swallowed some bread, not a pen :grin:

8 Likes

Where did you get that meaning from? I can’t find it on jisho.

It’s two separate words.

I didn’t quote it properly, I meant only つける.

Well つける can mean “to attach”, which is kind of what you are doing when you name something. And the jisho entry for つく explicitly mentions being given a name, so it’s reasonable to extrapolate that out to つける for a transitive version.

2 Likes

p62 –

This translation does sound right, but I don’t know how else to translate it? Help, anyone? Isn’t “しめして” she pointed at one part of the book mountain and hurriedly there [did what?]

Edit: 飲み込もうとしていたらしく (p62)
What in the… gulp down [volitional] + try + if (tara) + rashii [conjunction version]? She seemed to try to gulp it down? Though that doesn’t take the tara into account.

I thought it was していた, followed by らしい - you’ve doubled up the ら in both your たら and your らしい. So it’s the [volitional + とする] construction meaning “try to”, as you deduced, but it’s just in past continuous form. And then stick a らしい on the end.

And I agree that’s she’s pointing with the pen in the previous sentence you quoted.

2 Likes

(p67) まあ、わたしの料理を食べたいって人はいないでしょうね。

Did she just say no one wants to eat her cooking? :frowning:

2 Likes

Keep reading :laughing:

3 Likes

p67 – ナータの宝物だという本は、たいてい外国の本で、リナにはどこの国の本なのかさえわからなかった。

What is なのか doing in this sentence?

Edit: line 199 in the spreadsheet says “scientific” for the word 科学的, but the word I’m seeing in the book is 化学的 – “chemical” – according to jisho, though a verified Google translation says “scientific”… I changed it to “化学的 – scientific; chemical”

Edit 2: ここにきて、かわってるなって思いました。

Another thing I don’t get: is it ない?なる?Her ordering herself not to think of it as weird?

I think it’s an embedded question. Rina doesn’t know something (わからなかった), and the thing she doesn’t know (どこの国の本) is marked by か.

The なの is just a questioning の, preceded by a な because it’s a noun phrase (if it was a verb you’d just use の, like in “どうしたの?”).

If someone else could confirm though that would be great, because all those な の ん things are like my worst enemy :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Not sure if I count as someone else, but it seems to make a lot of sense to me!

2 Likes

That’s accurate, yeah. So add, the さえ makes it “Rina didn’t even know what country the book was from”.

It’s かわっている + な + って.

• かわっている = strange/unusual
  • I don’t know how to explain this な, but people use it like そうだなぁ.
  • The って is the quotation particle.
4 Likes

The “indicates emotion or emphasis” meaning?

Yeah, sounds right.

Yeah, I’ve heard “そうだなぁ” before, but it didn’t occur to me that that could be it. Thanks.

1 Like

Is there a difference between ねっ and ねぇ? Is the first one like a short, cut-off, ね, and is then the second an elongated ね?

Yep, that’s right! I once suggested saying わかった without the た at the end to get an idea of what it sounds like.

1 Like

ピコット屋敷からは、。。。、計六つもえんとつがでている。

Don’t know if anyone realized, but acording to this sentence in page 60 the ピコット屋敷 has 6 chimneys, however in the picture in pages 4-5… :thinking:

I’m probably the only one counting chimneys :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

lol! still interesting… I’m finally back in the book…still in ch2 but I haven’t given up…I’ll have to edit this later but looked at the English book …there are 7 on the cover and inside there are 6 …amusing!

2 Likes