霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 5 Discussion 🌬 🏘

I just finished up reading chapter two in the English release of the book, and I found that looking back on when I read it in Japanese, I probably understood at best 25% of the sentences, but understood about 50% of what was going on.

One nice thing about reading the English to follow up after the parts I’ve read in Japanese is that this release has different artwork. All the comments in the story so far about Rina’s weight made no sense to me due her thin appearance in the ebook’s artwork, which didn’t help my already low rate of comprehension.

For the curious, here’s the character artwork in this English release:

From bottom-left going clockwise: Kinu-san, John, Picotto, Gentleman, Rina, and Icchan.

For comparison, from the Japanese ebook:

When I get back to reading in Japanese this upcoming week, maybe my understanding will be increased by one or two percent if there’s any mention of Rina’s weight, now that I know the ebook’s artwork doesn’t line up with the description of the character in the story.

6 Likes

Wait :eyes: is Rina a little overweight? I thought all the comments about her weigh were jokes :eyes::eyes::eyes:

5 Likes

They may have been meant to be harsh on a little kid to keep them from getting fat… the current Japanese book cover artwork may not be original. However, the artwork inside the text seems like it should be original.

The English book artwork is very different from the Japanese version and there are some interesting translation things in there, nothing really wrong but there are some liberties. It’s still a really good translation compared to fan translations, so it’s possible some of that is why she is drawn so differently in the English book.

Another thing is the English book is part of the Kodansha English Library, so I have to wonder how much of the redone artwork was approved by the author/publisher…a really interesting thing to see would be an original printing of the book from the 1970s if you really wanna confirm any of the authors intentions.

1 Like

Some images from a Google Image search (publication year unknown to me):

DwopY0SV4AAJj7t
Left is what the e-book uses. It’s common to redo a book’s cover from one release to another when everything else is the same.

Japanese cover for a release that uses the same artwork inside as the English release. The artist is listed as 竹川功三郎.

Here’s a page from inside this release:
143998736_o1

Then there’s this release:

Which has this page artwork:
120728532_o2
…which is very similar to the artwork for the same scene in the above-mentioned and English releases, and also lists 竹川功三郎 as the artist. This means the artist likely redid some or all of the artwork from one of these releases to the next.

And then there’s this other English release:

_MG_6714_sub

Now I (almost) feel compelled to collect all of the releases…

9 Likes

Somehow makes me recall Alice in Wonderland :thinking:

1 Like

almost… no…you must! ebay is your friend! haha gotta catch 'em all

2 Likes

I checked my Italian edition and it made me remember that at the beginning of the story there was that man on the farming truck (or something like that) and he called her a little puffy (but not fat).

2 Likes

Finally almost done with ch 2… trying to sneak in a few min … close to being done…came across something interesting…

Page 54
The book has:
おなかをゆすってわらいだした。 I read this as “his stomach shook as he burst out laughing”.

The English book had: Clutching his belly, he burst out laughing.

I read ゆすって as 揺する What am I missing?

1 Like

Here is the missing bit: 揺する is a transitive verb, which is also indicated by を. With this it becomes „He rocked his belly and burst into laughter.“ (literally) How did he rock it? By grabbing it, it seems. (Or so I think…)

2 Likes

if only my native language skills weren’t so terrible and I realized this… :laughing:

at least I started ch3 today :smiley:

2 Likes

For some verbs you cannot really realize this from the English because the same verb is used (e.g. in this case it‘s „to shake“ but is it „it shakes“ or „I shake it“?) while Japanese uses two different verbs. Sometimes verbs are also used differently, e.g. 分かる is intransitive but is often translated to the transitive „to understand“. Therefore one needs to learn this together with the verb. (See e.g. somewhere in the middle of Genki II for this). Additionally, when reading something it helps to watch out for the direct object marker を which usually indicates a transitive verb.

2 Likes

And sometimes you get lucky and get useful hints from the word itself. 揺する => する => to do (to). 分かる => ある => to be. (So far this has worked for me every time I’ve needed it, but there’s probably a lot of examples where it’s the opposite that I’ve just never noticed.)

Oh, I totally forgot to mention this, thanks for reminding me! There is this helpful Tofugu article

which explains in which cases you can (and cannot) predict the transitivity from looking at the word.

You just have to be careful with the ある case. It only guarantees intransitivity if it’s part of a verb pair. An example that is transitive is 預かる.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just missing something, but I’m having a hard time with a sentence and couldn’t find it discussed anywhere above. It starts on page 49 and ends on page 50.

「めちゃくちゃ通り」なんていうだけあって、びっくりのしどおしだったし・・・・・・。

I know now (after double checking the vocab sheet) that しどおし means something like “to no end”, so the second part seems to be saying that she was surprised to no end. Based on that I think the first part (saying what she is surprised about) must mean something like “that they went so far as to call it something like ‘preposterous place’”. But I don’t feel especially confident in that analysis. Any feedback would be appreciated!

1 Like

I think maybe the piece you’re missing is that だけあって is its own thing: “(precisely) because …; as expected from/of …​”

So I think I would go with, “As expected of a place called めちゃくちゃ通り, the surprises never end” (or something to that effect, the second half was not attempting to be very exact lol)

5 Likes

Oh man, I’m so glad I asked! Thank you!

1 Like