霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 2 Discussion 🌬 🏘

It’s どう + なん (なの) + だべ (だろう).

2 Likes

Thanks!

…just so happened to be the same onyomi reading for road+south … oh happy joy …

:woozy_face: haha …No more lessons with my sensei until next year… I might die now…

not dying yet… but wanted to clarify something…didn’t see it asked

2nd to last column on page 17 / p17

家さ帰るんだべ。
わるいっとも、
このわらす(子ども)
を神社のあたりまで乗せでやってけねすか
I get the gist of what’s happening…

basically the police officer is saying since you are going home would you mind giving her a ride as far as the old shrine in the area…however, can’t seem to figure out what このわらす this is…I get that it’s probably “this child” (based on the 子ども)

I can’t find わらす in my dictionary as a noun… the closest I could find was this:

guessing it’s a dialect variation of the archaic term わらわ/わらべ ? thoughts…?

This page mentions わらす:

Looks like it does indeed mean 子ども in such dialects.

3 Likes

Yeah, I figured it’s an obscure enough term that the author chose to add the (子ども) annotation to clarify it.

I don’t see it in a couple different dictionaries. The only obvious reference I find is this from what looks like Weblio’s dialect dictionary, which just gives it as a synonym of 子ども in 津軽語 (Tsugaru dialect).

4 Likes

The trick is to remember that it comes up again in a couple of pages’ time, without the handy hint in brackets afterwards. :wink:

3 Likes

Page 14

おめさん、銀山村さいぐのすか?

あなた、銀山村ーさー行くーのーですか。

Is this the proper breakdown of the sentence?

はい
Quite a few people are threatening to have breakdowns as a result of this dialect :joy:

7 Likes

hmm… interesting went through the list of counters I have but couldn’t find anything, finally found this 絃, (げん)、counter for strings - not part of the list of 54 I already have on my cheat sheets…

wasn’t in the vocab sheet (yet) … but wondering maybe this isn’t a counter or I’m missing something…

Page 18

田んぼの中には ポツンポツンと、二、三げんの農家があるだけだ

I read this as peppered among the rice fields, there are just 2 or 3 farm houses. However, げん, as a counter, can’t really find anything for it and houses aren’t strings…(at least mine isn’t … lol)…

thoughts?

It’s 軒, the counter for houses.
Second definition here:

It’s usually read けん, by the way, but it becomes げん when paired with 3, like a bunch of other counters.

6 Likes

Thanks so much! you always have all the kewl secret Japanese links haha… why on earth do they need so many counters lol!!! At least I can figure out most of this (Non dialectly) stuff from context :wink:

1 Like

I must come out and tell my secrets.
Google > 軒 > copy/paste first result.
Sometimes, this method fails because I do not always check carefully the content of said link.

4 Likes

only works if you know the kanji in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The good thing is that WK just became a little bit easier for you :wink:
housecounter

3 Likes

あの。。。。。

:rofl:

5 Likes

I know. I meant you are getting ahead of the curriculum :stuck_out_tongue:
Comes level 51, you’ll be like “what, 軒? That old thing? Pff, that’s so 2019”.

6 Likes

I’m gonna save this for all the books in 2020!!! (and 2021…im slow)…probably be another 1.5-2 years for level 60

1 Like

omg omg omg… I did it! a day early… whew!!! too bad there are more pages ahead haha… fingers crossed no painful dialect…but thought I’d share this last sentence with folks … this bit was sort of a mess to try to get back into natural English… all the pieces were there but I really think the English version of the book is translated extremely well…

Page 18 / p18 Last sentence of our reading this week...

のきの低い、かわら屋根の家がつづいている しずかな町だが、それでも 四、五人のひとすれちがった

I’ll leave it up to the individual to break this down appropriately, it wasn’t that hard and yeah the main verb was in the vocab sheet…if only I could have read it and typed it correctly the first time… it’s ち not ら…and not られ but れち…omg the horrors of parsing that mess… pickpockets and all… probably because I’m not level 51 yet and don’t know that fancy counter… hehe

anyway… I did find it hard to get this sentence in some sort of natural word order in English…but here is the last sentence from the official printed book from 2001…thought it would make a nice reprieve for those of us that struggled through this dialect…

Just in case you thought you could cheat…last time to try to figure it out …

It was a quiet little village, no more than a line of houses with low-eaved tile roofs, but even so, they ran into 4 or 5 people going the other way.

Full disclosure, my translation was not this elegant…but did get the understanding…so I call that a win :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, now you get the kun’yomi as well! (のき, first word in the sentence, for those who are wondering).
軒 holds no more secrets for you.

2 Likes

And yet I don’t really know what “eaves” are, so I just remember のき as “house roof thing”.

5 Likes