霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 13 Discussion 🌬 🏘

Page 151, (1): あなただけ means “you”, わけじゃない is an expression that means “this does not mean that ”, so in total This does not mean that you are bad.

(2) It’s this: 頭に来る - Jisho.org (with は thrown in for contrast).

(3) Nothing to see here :slight_smile:

Page 153: It’s this: 気がする - Jisho.org, while your translation sounds more like that: 気になる - Jisho.org? But maybe it works fine either way. (And I’m totally out of context here, so I’ll better stop commenting ^^)

Haven’t encountered that one yet - but maybe my posts are not long enough :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, that makes much more sense context-wise. Although,

How confusing!

Ah, thanks - at a certain point it gets tricky to know which bits are potentially interchangeable particles, which bits are part of the verb…

Well, I saw 気がする, but I just don’t think it makes sense in context :thinking: I thought maybe it was 気にする but with the wrong particle?!

But like… “I regrettably / completely stopped having the feeling that… I talked with her”??? I just don’t see how it works :pensive:

1 Like

Indeed, that’s why I looked this up as I was struggling to find a suitable spot for the translation of だけ :laughing:

Yeah, that’s why I did not comment further on this :thinking: Maybe somebody else can fill us in here?

1 Like

Haha, glad to know it wasn’t too obvious :grin: thanks for making the effort.

Yeah, I realise that if there’s a 気がする it doesn’t really make sense for something written 気がする to actually be 気にする :sweat_smile: but it would be good if anybody else is able to make sense of it.

1 Like

Maybe she didn’t feel anything (like being scared), because she didn’t hear what she said. The whole sentence is: [。。。]をきかないと、ピコットばあさんと話したって気がしなくなってしまったわ。

Since Rina didn’t hear the part in the brackets that ピコットばあさん said, which sounded kinda threatening, so Rina didn’t “feel anything” when she was talking to her.

That’s the best I could come up with, but the 気がする is really weird here. It feels like, Rina’s emotion, that she didn’t feel, is being omitted? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just popping in to add my 2c

p151

Rina is pretty much thinking out loud - it’s not that you alone are 悪い - it’s the way your world is.

p153

Are you saying that Monday’s place is いや or something?

I am finding the tenses confusing, but I read this as something like: When I didn’t hear “Who said that?” I lost the feeling that I had spoken with ピコットばあさん. Or "If you don’t hear “Who said that?” it doesn’t really feel like you’ve had a conversation with ピコットばあさん.

8 Likes

ding ding ding

I think we have a winner :grin:

I should have included this from the start - bit silly of me.

4 Likes

Are you saying this is how the name is being read? Omg :exploding_head:

(I guess I was just influenced by a German sketch about Mandy and Sandy, so I automatically read the names that way :rofl:)

2 Likes

I read them as Monday and Sunday. I’m pretty sure Mandy and Sandy would be マンディ and サンディ respectively.

3 Likes

Yes, I realized that the Katakana was a bit off at the end, so I knew Mandy and Sandy was a stretch, but I would have never come up with Sunday and Monday :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I actually read them as Mandy and Sandy to start with too, but then changed my mind. I would be interested to find out what the English translation decided to go with.

3 Likes

English I can do. It’s Monday, Sunday, Bear, Cat, and Tiger. And Mrs. Confedrine later.

3 Likes

I was exactly the same - I was reading them as Mandy and Sandy even though that was a bit dubious (when is katakana not?), but then when I answered someone’s question about a sentence involving マンデー I thought I’d just double-check on Jisho in case it had an official ruling about the English equivalent, and it came up with Monday :exploding_head:

So then I just wrote it as マンデー because I wasn’t confident whether that really applied here for the name, and I thought it might be more confusing to start talking about Monday :rofl:

3 Likes

Maybe it’s actually XはX meaning “X with X”?

3 Likes

p147 – リナが、えんりょもなしに、ぴしぴしいうをきいて、シッカはかわいそうに思ったらしく

What’s this の doing in this sentence?

Edit: Also, what does this 思ったらしく mean? if she thought like @ _@

Oooooh, that makes so much sense - thank you!

It’s nominalising her “speaking without restraint”.

It’s saying that シッカ seemed to be thinking “かわいそうに”.

1 Like

p149 – タマが大きなからだでいすをおすと、少年がなれない手つきでほうきをもってそこをはいた
I don’t get this part.

箒を持ってそこを掃いた probably. I think he’s sweeping where the chair was after Tama pushed it out of the way.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think I realized that as you were typing. Though I missed the nuance of him swiping where the chair was and instead just thought “he swept there holding a broom”.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the 2. or; whether or not meaning of か? But, because, if I went home, I’d have a hard lecture which would be yawn inducing etc. or a stiff talk about the weather? Or something like that??

Edit: For instance, I found here: Parallel Markers: と, や, か, and とか that it’s possible to use か twice.

1 Like