霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

Ah, no - when NicoleRauch says ‘individual words’, this is the same as your ‘unique words’. FloFlo gives you the number of unique words. So it’s 2570 compared to 580, and I can’t really see how a book could use only 580 unique words, to be honest.

Edit: ah, unless Ditto20 is right that the comparable stat is your 2130?

By the way, what does the “unique words” stat in your post represent? I would have pictured that as the amount of different words, but that obviously seems to be your “total words” stat based on the numbers(or at leat I’m guessing the book has to be longer than 2000 words, since that just would be a few percent of a normal novel), so I’m not really sure what the unique words number represents then(sorry if it’s really obvious or I missed an explanation or something :sweat_smile: )

@Radish8: Oops, too early in the morning for me to be reading and replying. For as much as I try to keep “individual/total” and “unique” separate, I misread it this time!

I ran the book’s sentences through the parser mecab, then removed entries for punctuation marks, filler words like 「あ」, particles, and helper verbs. Then removed duplicates.

Unfortunately, I don’t recall which options I used for mecab, so I can’t re-run it with the same settings to see if I made a mistake. It’s possible it may have misparsed some data that I mistakenly removed from the entries, resulting in a lower count.

I’ll edit my post to reflect that I may be off on the word count. Kanji count still stands as correct, though!

3 Likes

Yeah, those numbers look very plausible to me.

It’s super confusing to talk about :sweat_smile:

On which note, I guess it’s time to dust off the ol’ FloFlo account. I’ve got just under 400 reviews to wade through, but I’m going to ruthlessly remove any words that drop back into my lessons completely, and give myself a week or so of reviewing before digging into new lessons.

3 Likes

I’m currently going through my unknown words, and I can see a bunch of misparses already :stuck_out_tongue:
My favorite so far: トー toe, followed by マス mass.
Yeaaaah, no. Probably just トーマス :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

You never know, the character might have stubbed their toe in church!

But yeah, I’m kind of bracing myself for this one :sweat_smile: so much hiragana does not a happy FloFlo make.

6 Likes

Just to say that I’ve closed the schedule poll. It looks like the vast majority want to spend only one week on that chapter.

Depending on how the group is coping by week 9/10, and who is still reading along, I might consider revisiting the question. It’s not much of a hardship for faster readers to take one extra week, but it could mean the difference between a slower reader being able to keep up or not.

Anyway, only three weeks to go! As always personally kind of nervous to be tackling another book :grimacing: even though experience suggests I always find it hard to return to reading manga after a book!

8 Likes

I’d kinda love joining, but especially February I’ll be basically busy and/or traveling all month (~2 weeks in Japan too :slight_smile: ), and other weeks too I’m not sure if I have time to read ~10 pages each week…

I’ve been planning to try read some book though, maybe I’ll get this one and just read it at my own pace?

3 Likes

Why not just start reading with us and then see how it goes? If you’re planning to read it anyway, might as well give the club schedule a go :wink:

3 Likes

Huh. I saw this thread a while ago and picked this up for my new Kindle… I thought it was an old thread, actually, not a pending one. So I guess I’ll be reading this at around the same time as the active thread.

For what it’s worth, the Kindle version doesn’t have page numbers. The Kindle’s standard way of tracking progress seems to be counting 位置… “locations” on the English Kindle UI, I guess? Chapter 1 seems to go from 「位置No. 13」 to 「位置No. 331」.

2 Likes

The issue with ebooks not showing pages as well as different editions having differing page numbers is part of why we also put the last sentence that is part of that week’s reading - just in case you do feel like reading along with us at some point. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah this is because you can change the font size in kindle and also kindles come in different sizes, so pages wouldn’t really be realiable. I’m on the same boat though, I bought the kindle so we’ll see, I’ll try my best to follow along :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Placed an order with my local Japanese bookshop for the book! Looking forward to reading it with you guys :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Finally I was able to order the book, before the start of the club. I’m looking forward to reading it with the all of you :blush:.

9 Likes

I crashed and burned on the last book club, but I’m going to dust myself off and try again. I just ordered the book from Amazon so hopefully I get it in time.

13 Likes

One week to goooooooooooo! :star_struck:

8 Likes

So, today @shuly unknowingly reminded me when we were talking about reading vs. listening to Japanese :wink:

In the Intermediate Book Club we have been running a weekly Read Aloud session for the last couple of books, and I like to think of it as being a success (although right now there are not too many people participating, sadly). We also tried such a session for Zenitendou, and it worked well for a few weeks, but then somehow fell apart, I guess… Anyway, why not try it for this book again, if a few people are interested?

First for some basic rules: If you want to join, you can of course decide whether you just want to listen in, whether you want to type in the chat (in English), whether you want to speak (in English) or whether you want to read a bit of text aloud (in Japanese ofc). You can read as much or as little as you want - one sentence is also ok. But maybe the others will stop you at some point when you read too much lol
We will not only read the text but also clarify questions or discuss the contents in general as we go. You can always chime in and ask something.

So, bottomline: everything can - nothing needs to.

Now for the polling:

1. Do you want to meet like once a week when we are reading The Mysterious Town and read aloud and/or listen along with people reading aloud on Discord together, given the date and time suits you?
  • Maybe…Not sure yet.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1. If you are interested or maybe interested, what weekday would work for you? I am working from the assumption that weekends will be best for people and for dealing with timezones, but if it is not, I will repoll to account for that.
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • Some other day

0 voters

4 Likes

Just a warning, there’s some strong dialect at least at the beginning. So it could be a bit weird to read out loud.

2 Likes

Or maybe it is helpful to read out loud, to get a better understanding? :thinking: Anyway, I‘m up for trying to read it. (And like I said, nobody is forced to anything, as you are aware)

1 Like

I linked to this poll in the OP! Thank you for organising :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes