霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

I hope you’re all raring to go once more, because it’s time for chapter 3!

8 Likes

Phew, I managed to finish chapter 2 (reading, not comprehension) just the other day. Don’t know how I’ll keep up with chapter 3, but I don’t mind falling behind.

I actually went ahead and ordered the English book so I can read prior chapters to understand what I’ve missed, in case that helps me follow along with each week’s reading. (But I don’t plan to read any English ahead of Japanese.)

At the very least, I understood most of the final scene in chapter 2, so I’ll be going into chapter 3 knowing what’s going on while waiting for the English book to arrive in the mail in a week or two.

3 Likes

I’m on page 46…read to page 47 with my instructor but re-reading… so yeah I’m so falling behind… just looked at something in the English book and was surprised by the translation… 面白いよ!

めちゃくちゃ通り = April Fool’s Lane

I’m like really? Interesting take lol…ok back to reading …

3 Likes

That’s really odd…

3 Likes

Joining in a bit late but hoping to catch up over the next week or two

9 Likes

Second half of chapter three this week:

I have maintained my “reading along” status but do still have questions I need to ask for last week :scream:

11 Likes

Update:

Week On chapter Behind Actively reading (sum) Delta
1 46 - 46 -
2 27 4 31 - 15
3 25 5 30 -1
4 22 8 30 +0
5 20 7 27 -3
6 17 4 21 -6

So, the week of break seems to have equally impacted the reading along and the “behind” categories.
I wonder if there’s a procrastination effect (even if you are late, the extra time makes you slow down even more and eventually drop) while some people who were actually reading along just forgot about the book and went on to read other things.
Still not statistically significant, but I’ve never seen a break increasing the number of people reading along so far.
That could be something to try next time: instead of taking a break, slow down (eg split the next week over two weeks). That would be the same average number of page per week, but without interruption.

8 Likes

nice stats…mine isn’t procrastination…too much “life” is getting in the way right now …usually I can try to sneak in a bunch of time on the weekends with only very little during the week…right now that hasn’t even been possible :frowning:

at the moment been spending part of the day fixing the hot water in our shower…(not the hot water heater… failed valve, bad replacement 1st valve, 2nd replacement better but leaking where it shouldn’t be… ダメだよ! back upstairs I go…have to take everything apart again…

But you are still an active reader (as in, answering the poll), so I wasn’t talking about you :stuck_out_tongue: I was talking about the 6 people who evaporated in the span of one week.

2 Likes

so tempted to be 7… really wanna read flying witchy duo! haha but I’m hell bent on finishing this book… in the meantime the shower is half a&& put back together :wink: have to run to the hardware store again tomorrow… oh happy joy

… tonight is need a break night…

2 Likes

I didn’t evaporate! I had the flu. Am now wandering through the mist attempting to catch up.

6 Likes

This was equally unsuccessful for Natsume ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it will just always be the case that at some point people will decide it’s not worth continuing with the book. This is around when I’d expect to see a second drop in numbers. I wasn’t expecting the break to increase the number of people, but I thought it might help some of those who were behind at least to keep up if not catch up (while also perhaps giving current readers on the cusp some breathing space).

It’s always hard to know what to do when we have a more difficult pick :confused: I’m impressed with the tenacity of people in this club though ^^

6 Likes

I sometimes procrastinate a bit, but I will usually catch up right when the new chapter starts or maybe 1-2 days later.

I think slowing down would probably be better than taking an actual break, since I guess it encourages people to read along and catch up to the other people (don’t know if that’s actually true, that’s just how I think about it).

3 Likes

I’m happy the beginner book club is reading an actual book instead of manga. I get the feeling that most of the book clubs are manga, and there’s a lot of vocabulary that gets ignored, and, well, it’s a different reading experience all together…

3 Likes

The beginner book club reads mostly manga. The intermediate book club has only ever read books. The absolute beginner book club reads a bit of both.

2 Likes

I like the mix :wink: brings some variety to things …

3 Likes

I hadn’t voted yet because I was away for the weekend visiting some friends, but I have now. ごめん :bowing_woman:

EDIT: I was talking about week 7 and I now saw you were talking about week 6, I had voted in that one.

For me, the extra week didn’t help me catch up in the end because I was doing a lot of teaching in the afternoons and had a bday party on the weekend and I was useless the next day. I guess not reading when you’re tired is a form of procrastination though.
However, last week I read the whole chapter 2 (two weeks worth of reading) and I’m currently only 1 week behind. I would really like to participate more in the discussions, so I’m going to push it this week and see if I can finally catch you!

Also, massive thanks to the people populating the vocab sheet :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Yes, we just started week 7, so I didn’t expect everyone to have voted yet :wink: People vote basically any time during the week.

There’s also a slow trickle of additional votes beyond the time frame of the thread being active from people who were much further behind or started later, which is why I also updated the other weeks, if anyone is wondering.

3 Likes

I just finished chapter 6. It’s still been consistently a lot more interesting, so I’ve been enjoying reading it.

7 Likes

Hello! Here is an attempt to find a better time for weekly Read Aloud session on discord, so unless you’re interested in that, I encourage you to skip the rest of the post.

The current time is midnight in Japanese timezone, which is definitely not the best for about half of the group. Those who are interested in keeping up with reading aloud, let’s re-vote, maybe better compromise can be found.

I’ve used timestamp formatting to show the time in you local timezone, so please ignore the particular date. The poll is for regular weekly session, to be running till the book is done, which is mid April.
Consider proposed times as the first rough draft, we can refine them later, moving half an hour or an hour in any direction.

• Saturday, February 8, 2020 1:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 3:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 5:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 9:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 11:00 AM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 1:00 PM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 3:00 PM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 5:00 PM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 7:00 PM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 9:00 PM
  • Saturday, February 8, 2020 11:00 PM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 1:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 3:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 5:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 9:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 11:00 AM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 1:00 PM
  • Sunday, February 9, 2020 3:00 PM - we read at this time now

0 voters

If I missed a good time, or messed up something else, please let me know asap. And thanks for the promptly voting! I’ll check results in two days, around 2020-02-06T03:00:00Z, to see if the second poll will be needed.

2 Likes