霧のむこうのふしぎな町 ・ Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist (BBC) 🌬 🏘

Oh, great idea, thanks!

1 Like

wheres the dialect from?

Based on some usage of べ at the end of sentences and words becoming voiced (e.g. きいたこと becoming きいだごど) I’d guess Touhoku dialect.

4 Likes

dialect

8 Likes

Why, it’s deja vu all over again. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Since I’m slow and struggle…I thought I’d try to start today and this is already killing me…I’d post questions here but I already made that mistake once :rofl:

3 Likes

Maybe you could use that time to learn some high frequency vocab from the book on Floflo? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Floflo is really not good when it comes to dialect…

4 Likes

Misparses galore.

3 Likes

Yes, but if you set Floflo to only showing words that appear, say, 20 times, you should be able to avoid the misparses, right? (I haven’t tried myself, though).

Well if it parses きいだ as きい and だ 20 times you’ll still see them in Floflo. :man_shrugging:

I… literally cannot check.
This is what I get for the book at freq 20:
freq20
Well, at least the frequent misparse might not be so bad, because it didn’t find anything that I haven’t learned otherwise.
(Or I have trashed all of that already…)

Going down the frequencies, I started seeing a few that may or may not be misparses:
freq11
Still, it’s a valid word on its own, that is taught on WK anyway (as 抱く), so it can’t hurt too much to learn it anyway…

Had a look out of curiosity, for me there are only five words with frequency 20 or more, two of which are ろ (given as some part of a boat) and つ (given as an indicator for contrasting actions) which might be misparses, but I don’t know.

Then I looked a bit further and discovered Glossary Mode, which if you select it and generate a vocabulary list, gives you all the words of the book without regarding your learned words. And scrolling through it, I must say the list does not look too bad; I could not find too many obvious misparses in the list.
There are words like だく、でる、がる which may or may not be misparses; げた most probably is a misparse, though.

But that of course does not mean it is perfect :slight_smile: Results like this sometimes make me wonder:

(you only get to the most plausible meaning if you click on the correct kanji) so it still needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Running a search on the text, it looks like げた appears as a noun in the story (chapter 1). Other appearances of it appear to be part of a verb (かしげた, 下さげた).

It appears chapter one has the verb だく, but there’s also instances of あせだく which is probably being broken into あせ + だく to get that frequency of 11 (although I only get five matches).

I’m sure there are some misparses, though, as that’s the nature of a low-kanji input.

3 Likes

For anyone that has read this book before, what grammar level would you say the majority of it is ranked at? Genki I + 2 (Beginner?) or Tobira and above (intermediate?).

1 Like

Native books don’t really fall into a grammar category. It’s inevitable that this book will have grammar not covered by Genki, and it’s not unusual for a book to randomly throw in some N1 grammar just to confuse us learners.

That said, I’ve only read a few pages so far, but there hasn’t really been anything confusing grammar-wise yet.

3 Likes

Hello, I just read past the first picture and was wondering how far ebook readers should read? I know that somebody said something about adding the last line of the sentence, but I can’t find anything like that. :see_no_evil:

I’ll be including the last lines for eBook readers in each week’s discussion thread, but I can check the first week’s reading for you this evening if nobody else gets there before me.

Edit @Eilan - the last line of page 11 is:
「わたし、ほんとうにまいごでも家出でもないんです。ただ、道をききたいだけなんです。」

3 Likes

I will read out loud, and I will read a lot if you want. I used to do this when I was taking classes in school and I loved it. It will probably hurt you more than it will hurt me.

3 Likes

Oh I just saw that, あり :cake:

2 Likes