進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan) reading attempt

Well… online. :eyes:

“Jokes” aside, it seems like the kodansha.us site has at least the first chapter of AoT translated in English. You get the first chapter of a lot of stuff for free since they want you to buy it, or if it’s just old, or big enough that they know people will buy it anyway. There are a few official manga sites.

Crunchyroll used to have a lot of manga for free, haven’t used it lately.

You can also see where you can read it legally on the kodansha site.

4 Likes

Oh right, the first pages have the free preview… for what comes later I doubt is legally findable on internet tho
I mean maybe some mangas will be free but I guess the majority and the most famous ones will not…?
Crunchyroll provides mangas too!? :exploding_head:

1 Like

It’s on Bookwalker too, but not in Japan. [1]

You should really check with Anime (on Netflix, at least), ImmersionKit, or Youglish.

1. This eBook has a region limitation ↩︎

2 Likes

It did. Apparently only has a handful now.

Still some good ones, though.

1 Like

Never heard the last two… gonna try
For anime, it sounds like a lot of work trying the episode/minute of that relative speech bubble, if possible I would avoid that method

It’s the basis for [Userscript]: Anime Context Sentences and the creator of the website replies in that topic too.

1 Like

Funnily enough, I think it’s easier to get Japanese manga for free than translated manga. Bookwalker, kindle, and ebookjapan, among others, give out volumes for free all the time. I have around 600+ free volumes just sitting there.

3 Likes

Look who’s here…

Also, one (I) would say that studying Japanese and having bought the Japanese manga are good enough reasons to be able to check the English fan translations of something in order to confirm a translation. :eyes:

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool, even tho I’m on the phone and can’t use it… so bad

Wow :exploding_head: I didn’t think it was this easy

Anyway I’m not complaining with buying since the Japanese version costs less than a cigarettes pack and I read really slowly :sloth:
Already bought both volume 1 and 2 on kindle too

Legally yes, but if you want to find less well-known titles it’s quite challenging to find raws to translate from. Whatever I managed to find online was very spotty.

3 Likes

They’re pretty generous with previews too. I’m pretty sure I could do the first week of most book clubs just from BookWalker previews.

Aye, in many cases the English internet will have a ton of sources for the translation and the raws just get passed around within translation groups.

There are ways to get it in Japanese, you just have to look around the Japanese internet a bit. I may or may not have gained this knowledge by being heavily into certain kinds of Doujinshi. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::joy:

1 Like

I think I misspoke in another post about this but I read the first 13 volumes (barely got through 13 it was too text heavy for me at the time) and the last two volumes (because I can’t wait for The Final Season Part 3 - Game of the Year Edition with pre-order DLC). I watched the Anime before I started learning Japanese and watched the last couple seasons with subs on for conversation heavy episodes.

Edit: to your question about Takagi-san I haven’t read the series.

4 Likes

I feel your pain :joy:

The same sort of thing happened to me with One Punch Man. I grabbed the volume that starts after the most recent anime season and ran smack dab into the middle of the villain groups discourse on manifest destiny. :joy:

3 Likes

Oh no… I am reading One Punch Man right now. T.T I was gonna buy volumes 6-10 after I finished Volume 5. The longer passages already drain so much out of me.

1 Like

:eyes:

I agree, Iinchou. I have had to ask scanlation groups for raws before. :joy: There are places you can look, but you never know what you’ll be able to find, and even knowing people in Japan is not a guarantee if it’s an old or harder to find manga.

I’m lucky to know people in circles where this is a bit easier. Not that I regularly need to ask, just in case.

4 Likes

I love wanpanman, would you suggest me the manga eventually?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty good. I think 村田さん was able to capture One’s style pretty well.

The original webcomic is available here for free if you want to have a look through it:

http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/

I’ve actually been going back to the originals quite often just because Yomichan is so much easier to use than any of the built in lookup tools on any of the main eReaders. I kinda wish I could texthook my eReader, lol.

4 Likes

What is this original webcomic? I only knew the official manga

One originally drew the series as a webcomic and posted it on that page. It got popular enough to be picked up by Shounen Jump and that’s when Yusuke Murata was brought on to redo the illustrations. One’s actual style is closer to what you would see on Mob Psycho 100 if you’re familiar with that show.

3 Likes

I’ll give it a try, I guess it’s pretty accessible as a series being listed 26 on natively if I remember well