藤 - Why no onyomi in intro level?

Small piece of feedback: Why is 藤 introduced in level 22 without its onyomi? This isn’t a very common word or kanji on its own, but it’s frequently employed in names (I’ve met several -藤-named people recently), where it always comes with the とう or どう reading.

Even the notes on the kanji in its introductory lesson note that it’s mainly used for names, so why is the more practical reading held off on?

This kanji is most commonly used in names, so you can remember that by keeping in mind that it’s not a very commonly known flower, and people want to have unique names so they use this kanji in them or something.

Food for thought. The onyomi probably comes up at later levels, but it seems weird to include an admitted “mostly for names” kanji without immediately giving you its most common reading for that purpose.

2 Likes

The kunyomi is used plenty in names as well… I don’t see how that’s contradictory.

In my school there’s a 藤原 (ふじわら) and a 藤吉 (ふじよし)

Admittedly I’m still terrible with common Japanese names, so that’s probably true and I just happened to encounter a bunch of -とうs and -どうs recently without any -ふじs. But it seems to be a pretty common element of family names that way. 加藤, 安藤, 伊藤, etc.

In that case, por que no los dos? It’s not like either is reading is too difficult to remember; one could go to the kanji, one to the vocab.

I don’t really know why they bother with any of the mostly-used-in-names kanji that are included, so it’s just a shrug for me. Because it’s such a massive and difficult area of kanji, that what they’ve added just comes across as half-assed. Most of the name kanji in the level 51-60 range don’t even have associated vocabulary added yet.

Yeah, I was surprised to see 藤 pop up as early as it did, as I knew most of the name kanji popped up in the high levels. I personally don’t know anyone with the ふじ reading in their name, but I think that’s more of a regional thing, as I see the same last names a lot in my area. I don’t think I have a single class without a さいとう (in 平仮名 because of the billions of variants for さい)、加藤, 佐藤, or 伊藤.

I think not using the 音読み is primarily, to my knowledge, that one would not have learned many kanji that combine with 藤 to make names at that level, so it might as well just go with the 訓読み. Flowers are also a big deal in Japan, so knowing more names is always useful too! :rofl:

I guess, but we have 加 right there for a perfectly good last-name compound. I guess I’m just like, “If it’s going to be there at that level, primarily for names, why go half way?”

But if nothing else I guess it did help me remember the kanji for the names I have encountered, and got me to look up and remember the onyomi on my own, so it’s not like it’s totally useless as is. Just struck me that it could be better.

1 Like

Still infinitely farther than most of the name kanji have gone.

1 Like

Is wisteria really a flower? Is that the right thing to call it.

Anyway, get some culture and learn about 藤原氏.

What level do I need to reach to be fluent in Japanese history?

1 Like

Well 弥生 is 55, so probably by then.

2 Likes

But 弥生 is all the way back in prehistory. So I feel 55 is only the beginning then.

It’s an angiosperm, so it is indeed a flower.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.