薬屋のひとりごと(Advanced Book Club)

I will post the thread today, but I’m not sure when. Everyone has some カカオ in the meantime.

3 Likes

Never mind. I had the time to put up the thread (not to read the content, though).

2 Likes

I’ve barely started week 2 due to busybusy, but I’m also 50% through Honzuki 9 - what do I do? :caught_durtling:

• Finish Honzuki 9 first (might take a week or two)
  • Catch up on this book club, Honzuki can wait

0 voters

2 Likes

Finish 本好き 12.
Okay, maybe not.

2 Likes

This week, 猫猫 moves (again)

3 Likes

Oops, I didn’t announce the previous week (not that it was hard to find, but anyway).
Second part of the “event”.

2 Likes

Well, not much activity last week (that includes me, even though that was one of my favorite parts in the volume…) :sweat_smile:
Hopefully, I’ll get back to commenting this week.

1 Like

Oof, activity in threads really died down.
Well, at least, I am enjoying recollecting about the story when I put up the threads :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m behind a week on my chapters. :scream: Hopefully I can catch up this weekend and add to the discussion~

3 Likes

I feel kind of bad I basically rushed ahead and read the first 3 volumes. I was planing on rereading chapters each week but the new stuff always looks so interesting. It is literally the distracted boyfriend meme

5 Likes

Dang, very nice; I’m jealous. I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve read so far, but it takes me a while to get through it. Have you had to look up much as you’ve read?

1 Like

6 Likes

I haven’t been participating in the threads at all either, even though there were lots of part I wasn’t fully clear on and could’ve asked about. At the beginning I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of messages (not used to this much activity here in the ABC), then I was late on the reading for a while ^^’ But I’m caught up now! I’ve been mostly enjoying the book although there’s a lot of vocab, and I wish there was more of an overarching story.

5 Likes

Yeah I have to look up a bunch. To be honest the way I’m reading this is not really great for learning but I tend to do that a lot when I’m really interested in a book/manga.

4 Likes

My own posting about ambiguous grammar and stuff has slowed down for myself as well; partly a combination of getting used to the author’s style, partly just getting the point of saying, “screw it, I understand this well enough”, haha. I want to focus more on chatting about the story, see what other people think of it.

Gotcha, gotcha. I figure, even if you’re not doing intensive reading, the sheer flood of info you’re consuming is going to help regardless, right?

3 Likes

How has the book been so far? Have the later chapters been about the same as the earlier ones in terms of story quality, writing quality, etc.?

I haven’t read the book in over a month (up to chapter 9). If I started reading again now I could probably catch up within a week or two, though in that case I’d just be reading to get through it rather than trying to learn and ask questions. I’d probably be better off reading 本好き for fun for a bit and coming back to this sometime later this year after the book club is done. Of course, I could try to read both at the same time, but the chances of me reading any other book once I’ve started a volume of 本好き is pretty low. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m probably not the most relevant person to say so, but I really like the development around the time of the night party (so, the part we just read, and what comes next.
I can’t really comment on the writing quality. I only noticed problems when I was re-reading. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There’s a lot between chapter 9 and what you just read though, so that’s not encouraging… But yeah since you’ve read it (and future books) already it’ll help to hear from someone else too.

Then the question is, have you noticed as many problems in recent chapters compared to the first few? Though to be fair, I think a lot of the mistakes that were caught were due to the large amount of comments and questions. So if there hasn’t been much discussion lately, you still may not have caught them.

1 Like

I think that’s the case. I have no problem understanding what is being said, so I don’t really notice issues, I guess. There was a discussion about the use of English words as furigana and how annoying it is, and I said that it stops in later volumes… but upon checking, it turns out I was wrong.
The most egregious problem is in volume 4 or 5. It literally started a small twitter war between people saying it’s incorrect and should read [something else] while the others said it’s valid and has the meaning of [I don’t remember]. Since those opinions lead to a different interpretation of that part, it’s not even an abstract discussion. I personally went with “the author knows what they are doing”, that is, the second option. The author did not comment on the issue, by the way.

3 Likes

Haha wow. It definitely seems like ignorance was bliss in this case and you’re worse off for us having brought up the weird furigana and likely errors. :laughing:

2 Likes