茜 additional meaning suggestion

The current meaning for 茜 is “red dye” on WK, but I learned this kanji as “madder”, which is a bit more specific word. Might be useful to have it as an additional meaning.

akane

5 Likes

long as you are aware that this is ‘madder’ as in the flower and the color (red)

bit of an archaic english use tbh and most won’t probably know that as such

Hmm… I knew it as a dye that comes from a plant with the same name. What else can it mean?

not to call out people with bad english but i could see people thinking it meant ‘madder than a bull’ type of meaning lol

1 Like

“More mad”. Mad, madder, maddest.

But yeah, I know of “madder” as well.

1 Like

i only know of madder as a color because of my background in art and painting lol

I didn’t even think of “more mad”. I think that by the time someone makes it to level 54, though, it’s somewhat less of a risk that they mistake it for that.

It’s certainly not a very common word, but I don’t speak English as a first language and even I know of some of the more important/common dyes, like woad and indigo and henna and Tyrian purple. Or at least I come across them from time to time in my reading.

1 Like

I never heard of “madder” before (not a native speaker ofc). I would intuitively think of mad, madder, maddest. But a quick google search instantly throws flowers at you :smiley:
So, in conclusion: I see your point @Starker , but I’d also understand confused learners.

Oh, and I’m not suggesting of replacing the meaning, btw, only adding it. So new learners would still see “red dye” as the primary meaning and “madder” as the alternative one, further reducing the potential for confusion.

1 Like

Madder than stark. Starker than mad.

2 Likes

Totally makes sense. It’s 茜色 (madder red) after all.

Very nice find, you kanji mad lad :joy:

Had to share my mnemonic for this one. I always think of the character from Psychopass (even though her name uses 朱 instead of 茜).

Madder sounds like something British people would say :coffee:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.