船長 is lacking. Any special reason?

Hi, there!
I just realized the word 船長 is nowhere to be found in WK.
I don’t know how frequent the word is and how natural it sounds, but I see it a lot in Kingdom Hearts, specially when visiting Caribean or Wonderland.

Best regards.

1 Like

There’s going to be a lot of vocabulary you won’t encounter on WaniKani. I think they only introduce the most commonly used ones to reinforce the kanji readings. WaniKani is a Kanji learning site so the focus isn’t really vocabulary. However, at level 7 you do know both the Kanji that comprises this word and so even if you didn’t know it, it’d be easy for you to read/look up! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’ll get plenty of vocab to reinforce the ちょう reading for 長, as well as せん reading for 船. And those are enough to let you infer the meaning of 船長, so even though it is a fun word, it is definitely not essential.

1 Like

Wanikani only teaches vocabulary that it deems necessary to reinforce the kanji it teaches you. A lot of common words will slip by, and you’ll learn plenty of not so common ones here too.

Even if it did teach more vocabulary, SRS doesn’t exactly help with the nuance of every word, so to actually get a good grasp on vocabulary you’ll need to look towards other resources, such as books (see floflo.moe here in the forums), TV shows, or, as you seem to be doing, games.

yeah, according to Jisho.org senchou is a common word.

One of my biggest wishes is that WK would allow users to add their own vocab to the SRS system.

Conversely, I think WK should allow taking vocab away as desired as well - if anything the system has almost too much vocab - I might decide that the particular vocab will have almost no use for me.

2 Likes

+1
I’d remove my worst leeches so I don’t have to waste time on them.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.