自立 vocabulary falsely says "indepentent" is correct

This vocabulary 自立 is “Independence” a noun. However, when I enter “independent”, an adjective, it falsely says the meaning to be correct.

I think “independent” should be on the list of words, that are always false for this vocabulary.

Independent is also a noun.

1 Like

Wanikani example sentence for 「自立」

2 Likes

Honestly, I wish it stay this way. I’m not an English native speaker. It would be too much for me if I need to memorize which English word is noun, verb, adjective, or adverb lol. Especially, the one that resemblance each other. I’m trying to learn Japanese not English. :pleading_face:

Moreover, it’s quiet clear which Japanese vocab is what, when you start learning grammar.

4 Likes

The two words are close enough to pass the typo tolerance algorithm. @Mods

I don’t think “independent” should be blacklisted since it can be a meaning of 自立. E.g. Like @superuser mentioned: 自立した女性 - independent woman

6 Likes

Isn’t this just a simple case of it being a na-adjective, a type of word which can also be used as a noun? Unless I have quite severely misunderstood the grammar of this (which is very possible), WaniKani’s totally in the clear here.

It’s not a na-adjective. It really is a noun. The only special part is that it’s one of those nouns that pairs with する, and that’s usually how I see it used.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.