耳をすませば (Beginner Book Club) — 〜Extracurricular Reading〜

I tried in vain to buy the book for my kobo reader but it won’t let me…I suppose it has to do with my geographical location. Is there any other way to get it in a digital format?

1 Like

I’m in the UK and I tried all of them. The only one I could get to work was Bookwalker.

3 Likes

I will try there, thank you

1 Like

If your Kobo account is not set with Japan as its region, then you would need to create a new Kobo account with a Japanese-looking address.

If you use a Kobo account for non-Japanese purchases, it can be a hassle juggling two logins, so I definitely second trying out BookWalker.

If you have any issues there, let us know. I’m sure we have something written here in the forums on how to get set up with BookWalker, or else someone might be able to give some pointers.

5 Likes

Just got a notification from the package tracking!
Departure from inward office of exchange
:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Week one’s thread is up!

Remember, due to chapter length, we’re reading half of chapter one!

7 Likes

Might want to change the title to now reading or such. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Week two’s thread is up. This brings us through to the end of the first chapter.

5 Likes

We’ve reached the second chapter, which picks up right where the first chapter left off:

8 Likes
6 Likes

I should really make a checklist…

Thanks for adding that!

4 Likes

Too much on your plate. Thanks for your hard work! :heart:
I thought about asking you to share the link and it occurred to me that it would be a bit weird so… I hope you are not against it and there is no rule about me posting in the Home Thread.

2 Likes

We’ve reached the halfway point!

6 Likes

We’re at the second half of chapter three this week:

5 Likes

Hey guys, don\t know if it\s already been mentionned, this was made in a movie, just got released 5 days ago :slight_smile: 映画『耳をすませば』本予告【10.14 ROADSHOW】 - YouTube

5 Likes

Youtube’s auto-generated subtitles leave a lot to be desired, so I ran the trailer through whisper.ai and briefly cleaned it up a little. There may still be an error or two.

Japanese subtitles

I also let whisper.ai try translating it to English, which I lightly cleaned up. Again, may be some slight errors.

English subtitles

For anyone who hasn’t seen the animated movie but watches this trailer, it’s worth knowing that this movie is a sequel to the animated movie, not the manga. That’s why there’s a cello.

8 Likes

The AI has fluffed this line. It’s not 録 but
ろくに 《碌に[P]; 陸に[rK]》 (adv) (uk) (with negative verb) (not) well; (not) properly; (not) enough; (not) sufficiently; (not) satisfactorily; (not) decently; [P]

so 編集者の仕事もろくにできない == can’t even do an editor’s job properly

5 Likes

Thanks for that! I knew that one looked like it had to be mistaken, but I was just getting ready to clock in for work and didn’t have time to look into it.

5 Likes

The first half of the final chapter is upon us!

7 Likes

We’re reached the final week:

7 Likes