耳をすませば (Beginner Book Club) — 〜Extracurricular Reading〜

I should really make a checklist…

Thanks for adding that!

4 Likes

Too much on your plate. Thanks for your hard work! :heart:
I thought about asking you to share the link and it occurred to me that it would be a bit weird so… I hope you are not against it and there is no rule about me posting in the Home Thread.

2 Likes

We’ve reached the halfway point!

6 Likes

We’re at the second half of chapter three this week:

5 Likes

Hey guys, don\t know if it\s already been mentionned, this was made in a movie, just got released 5 days ago :slight_smile: 映画『耳をすませば』本予告【10.14 ROADSHOW】 - YouTube

5 Likes

Youtube’s auto-generated subtitles leave a lot to be desired, so I ran the trailer through whisper.ai and briefly cleaned it up a little. There may still be an error or two.

Japanese subtitles

I also let whisper.ai try translating it to English, which I lightly cleaned up. Again, may be some slight errors.

English subtitles

For anyone who hasn’t seen the animated movie but watches this trailer, it’s worth knowing that this movie is a sequel to the animated movie, not the manga. That’s why there’s a cello.

8 Likes

The AI has fluffed this line. It’s not 録 but
ろくに 《碌に[P]; 陸に[rK]》 (adv) (uk) (with negative verb) (not) well; (not) properly; (not) enough; (not) sufficiently; (not) satisfactorily; (not) decently; [P]

so 編集者の仕事もろくにできない == can’t even do an editor’s job properly

5 Likes

Thanks for that! I knew that one looked like it had to be mistaken, but I was just getting ready to clock in for work and didn’t have time to look into it.

5 Likes

The first half of the final chapter is upon us!

7 Likes

We’re reached the final week:

7 Likes

I just wanted to note that the " First, we’re currently working through 夜カフェ. Next is シャドーハウス, starting July 16th." text may be a little confusing lol, for a second I was like (“Wait what? We’re going back to those series?”)

4 Likes

Remember folks, calendar-based to-do lists are your friend.

Don’t be like me and not make calendar-based to-do lists.

(Thanks for mentioning that; I’ve updated the post!)

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone who’s read along!

For those who are interested in the short story, when would you like to read it? Pick any that you’d be fine with.

• Start reading it sooner (November 5th)
  • Take a brief break first (November 12th)
  • Take a longer break first (November 19)

0 voters

As a reminder, the short story appears in the following:

• The 2005 paperback release
  • The digital release of 「バロン 猫の男爵」 volume two.

The story is about 60 pages long, so I’ll probably create a single thread that gets a weekly prompt for reading 20 or 30 pages. I haven’t read this one yet, so I have no idea what will be appropriate for splitting it up!

If you plan to read along, how many pages per week would you prefer? Pick any that you’d be fine with. (Extra consideration will be considered for the slower pace if the two get similar numbers of votes.)

• 20 pages per week, across three weeks
  • 30 pages per week, across two weeks

0 voters

4 Likes

If you’re looking to read along with the spinoff, a thread is now available:

5 Likes

I finally watched the anime movie of this. I remember as we were reading that some people compared the manga to the movie and how the pacing was different and how the movie felt a bit more put together.

And I do remember the manga having a much slower pace that then ramped a bit quicker than would be expected. Probably due to the manga apparently not being that popular when it was published.

Maybe because I read the manga first and saw the anime later, but I really felt the manga was better. I liked more the way the main characters were in the manga (trying to be vague here, but painting vs violin making). And I really loved how the side stories were handled in the manga, and while I think the movie captured a lot of that, it also cut out and changed quite a few things. (One cat and a brother disappeared! And the interesting intersections there.)

Anyway, nothing wrong with the movie. It was good. I just think the manga was better. :joy:

7 Likes

Interesting to hear a manga-first perspective! Thanks for coming back to the thread to share :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure if it was mentioned here before, but last year a life-action movie was made from this manga.
I recently watched it and I feel like I liked it more than the ghibli one? But watching the ghibli one was a while ago, so can’t say for sure. I guess I liked both.

Now I’m starting to feel curious about the manga too. Might check it out in the future. :eyes:

3 Likes