耳をすませば 📚 | Week 2 Discussion

ありがとうございます!

I appreciate everyone jumping in and explaining. I hope it helps others too. Genki I is a JLPT 5 (ish with some 4). I don’t see it in the next book either (although I could easily not know what I’m looking for).

I really like reading this particular book, because most of the Japanese is mostly grammatically correct or else commonly used. I tried to read one of the other books, and there was so much slang, I didn’t find it useful (but might have been if you’re goal was to read Manga.)

I have to say, I do love reading Manga. I have been reading Haikyu in English. Who knew reading about volleyball would be so interesting. I might have to go watch a game.

4 Likes

Page 46 (prob. 48 digital).

胸の奥 - in context I think this might mean, taken a back. Taking a breath in surprise. Some combination of these.

The line following was 押しよせてくる - with part translated in the vocab list. So put together might be to become overwhelmed. The verb form with て、means in the state of being overwhelmed. But the 来る confuses me because I thought なる for that.

どう思いますか

4 Likes
Pg. 46

胸の奥 is very literally “inside of (my) chest”. It’s where the next part of the sentence is taking place, imo.

くる as an auxiliary verb that is used to kind of indicate direction of movement verbs (in this case 押しよせる).

Taking just those two parts of the fragmented sentence (because I feel like the following parts are also part of the overall sentence:

“Surging forward within my chest…” (the くる just indicates the direction of the surge being towards Shizuku)

Others may have interpreted it differently, though.

8 Likes

I pretty much read it the same as you, @MrGeneric. :slight_smile:

2 Likes