美少女戦士セーラームーン 第二期 ブラック・ムーン編 🌑

Yay! I found it!

3 Likes

On S.5.212, Death Phantom uses 惑星. Previously, only 星 was used (in the sense of planet) I think. Or would we say Nemesis is a star? Anyway, what’s the difference between 星 and 惑星? Is it just more selective?

p. 238-241…Dammit, now I’m crying!

3 Likes

I hadn’t even noticed the difference in words used, but now I’m curious.

星 is defined as 「晴れた夜空に点々と光って見える天体。」 Essentially, a celestial body that can be seen as a glowing dot in a clear night sky. This would include stars and planets.

惑星 is defined as 「太陽など恒星の周りを回り、球状をなすほど十分に重く、その軌道の近くに、衛星でない他の天体が無い天体。」 Essentially, a celestial body that orbits a star (such as the sun), massive enough to form a sphere (like a planet), and…something about having only satellites orbiting near it? (Not certain about that last part.)

Considering this, I wonder if perspective plays into it. If Nemesis is something distant, a twinkle in the sky to to speak, perhaps 星 would make more sense to use? But because Death Phantom’s point of perspective was on Nemesis itself, it wouldn’t make sense to use 星.

3 Likes

I’m currently back to reading Sailor moon, yay! And I will at least finish off the black moon story arc before thinking of picking up something else (perhaps along side). I am finding that I’m interested in reading something that have very few look ups and Sailor moon is not quite it currently, because they never seem to spend time in school at the moment (just started act 19). I have a few other mangas that might be easier just by not having any magical setting stuff. I’ll see when I finish the black moon arc.

Anyway, just finished act 18, and it was nice that Venus didn’t get kidnapped. Nice twist after the others were all kidnapped in the chapters (partly) named after them. At least I understand it as kidnapped. I don’t know if I’m missing something or not, but I haven’t quite figured out what the baddies are doing with them. Apparently they don’t age because the moon crystal (can’t remember if that is what it is called in English…) is protecting them? If I understood a previous conversation correctly from an earlier act.

Also to note, I haven’t read through the whole thread because I wanted to avoid some spoilers. So I’ve only read about half the thread, more specifically to when @ChristopherFritz posted the act 21 reading starts post.

4 Likes

I’m finally back to reading Sailor Moon. Man, my relationship with this series feels so complicated. Nostalgia from watching anime waaaay back when I was a kid. And then my experience with the manga were the story often feel rushed (well the first half of each arc I’ve read so far have felt very rushed). And whenever the enemy talks among themselves or monologue, I get so lost because I basically know one word in 5.

Anyway, chapter 22 (Kanzenban). I couldn’t remember who was who among the enemy so like that was a bit confusing, but I didn’t feel like going back to when they got introduced to figure it out. Didn’t really affect the story, so leaving it for now.

Story impressions

So… Sexy Chibiusa? That is kinda wild.

Tuxedo mask (can’t remember if that is what he is called in English) just running off after chibiusa without even getting a key is more rash than he usually is. But needed for plot, I guess. (Will we see evil Tuxedo mask again?)

The evil monologue felt very superfluous. But maybe that was because I understood about 10% of it. Every time I did lookups to see if I was missing vital parts, it didn’t feel like it.

Learning about the phantom, very juicy stuff. And I didn’t know the Queen wasn’t allowed to kill humans. Seems not doing it in this case created this whole problem. (My speculation)

Really enjoyed that I can easily follow what Usagi thinks and says easily. I don’t know if that was the case when I finished off volume 3 (kanzenban) last year. (Yeah, I took almost a year away, wonder why I can’t remember who’s who among the enemy? :joy:) But probably about the same. Although I’ve gotten some more practice the last couple of months, so maybe not as easily.

So there it is. My act 22 impressions. Not sure how quickly I’m planing to finish of this story arc nor if I’ll take a break after finishing it or not. Time will tell. But later part of story arcs are probably the best parts of Sailor Moon because the story gets less rushed.

3 Likes

@ChristopherFritz I hit reply from your post about the chapter when I wrote my reply yesterday (maybe to link it to that part of the thread? That might have been my reasoning), and I wondered if that bothered you? Considering I’ll probably be writing up little comments and such on each chapter as I read them, I thought I’d ask before I’ve pinged you many more times. :joy:

2 Likes

Ping away! Getting extra notifications is no issue for me.

1 Like

Act 23 (Kanzenban) now read. If I wasn’t so hungry for lunch, I would totally have continued reading.

Did Chibiusa really kiss her future father? I’m… speechless. Yikes and blergh? :nauseated_face:

And that is like my one big thing from the chapter. :joy: Also liked the king’s pleading/talking with the queen, and how Diana made him feel better. #catsFTW

Also from act 22, I never caught why Sapphire started trying to kill Sailor Moon instead of keeping her alive (I think the bad guys wanted her alive?). But that was also a section with a ton of words I didn’t know, and I ended up only looking up some. I remember the verb for being crazy/going crazy was used a lot in that section. Was he mad Sailor Moon had killed the other Black Moon people and kinda lost his mind?

So yeah, kinda excited to keep reading to see how this arc ends. Although I think I have a few chapters yet to come to reach that point! (3 chapters left in the arc)

2 Likes

If I remember right, the first Back to the Future movie happened to have a scene like this.

If I remember correctly, he blames her for enchanting his brother, a problem that would certainly just “go away” if Sailormoon was gone. (I don’t recall how much he said outright versus what I read into it.)

Most relevant dialogue.

Three sounds like so few left to read, yet this series has such long chapters!

2 Likes

Thanks. Picking out the important bits get kinda hard when most of it goes over my head since I don’t read for full comprehension (that would be painful to do during those parts).

Very true. Just checked, those chapters amount to 154 pages, so roughly 50 pages per chapter.

1 Like

Turns out it is very hard to stop reading this late in an arc.

Chapter/act 24 (kanzenban) read.

Diana keeps being MVP. #catsFTW Also, it was indeed very easy to miss Sapphire’s death. Sailor Moon is having proper channeling power, even though it doesn’t seem to be doing much (yet?).

There honestly isn’t that much to say about this act, except another kiss between Chibiusa and Mamoru. :nauseated_face: I hope Mamoru’s memory is wiped of those and no one tells him, because otherwise… Can you imagine trying to get past that? Poor guy.

And don’t be surprised if I’m back here with my reviews of act 25 and 26 before the day is over. :joy:

1 Like

Unsurprisingly, I read act 25 and 26 together. Stopping halfway through the climax would be super weird.

Act 25: Obviously Pluto-san. :sob: We hardly knew you, and yet such a bit impact. Chibiusa’s transformation was very nice. Happy for her. Finally kinda starting to like her, rather than her just being an annoying kid.

Act 26: Nice to have pre-mother and daughter fight the Phantom/Nemesis together. And Mamoru had to take Diana’s roll of pep talk-er. We could all use a Mamoru in our lives, I suspect. That unconditional support. Also, so far Queen Serenity have been showed as so much more grown up than Usagi, also far more serene (hence the name?), that is… until the letter to Usagi. Yeah, suddenly recognized herself in her future self, huh?

I did love the extra powers or more specific names for all the 戦士. Usagi’s being just mystery power though is kinda… lol? The others made a lot of sense, surprising no one. Although I feel like Mars’ fit better with her anime character than from what I remember of her manga character. (So very argumentative and aggressive in the anime, while in the manga more wise shaman kinda vibes?)

I was right! But then this isn’t a mystery (which would mean the possibility of red herrings) so… maybe not so surprising. :joy:

I enjoyed the end of this arc. Can’t remember the first arc in detail enough to compare them to each other. But especially these last few chapters shows what Sailor Moon could be so well. If only the first half of the arc received as much space, instead of being rushed through. That way we’d get more characterization, which I think is the biggest lack.

I’m hoping the two short stories in this volume will give me some more of that. Possibly taking a break after that, but I enjoyed reading these chapters more than I thought I would, so maybe not. Or if I do, definitely a shorter one than I previously imagined.

1 Like