美少女戦士セーラームーン 第二期 ブラック・ムーン編 🌑

@Chellykins, as @MissDagger says, no worry on where you are compared to which week it is. That’s why the poll each week has options for being on an earlier or later chapter =D

No worries! I almost checked yesterday, but watched some episodes of Sailormoon instead… Since I have everything digital, it shouldn’t be too difficult to search to do a visual binary search. I’m certain his hat was in his room when Usagi first wakes up there, so that’ll help narrow it down.

1 Like

Finally caught up! I really had no idea where Sailor Moon goes after the first arc (which I only very vaguely knew in the first place), so everything right now is exciting (and a little confusing). Ready to see what happens next!

2 Likes

I know the feeling. I thought I had read the newer English translation to the end of the Black Moon arc, but it turns out I only completed through Act.16. So it’s been all new since then, and my very limited memories from anime (which did things very different from the manga) are not helping me along!

So far I feel like I haven’t missed anything major by not know all the vocabulary. I’m looking up any unknown word that comes up twice, as well as any unknown word vital to understanding (such as a main subject or verb).

3 Likes

Oh man, I am so confused by the whole of this volume, haha. I’m consoling myself with the fact that this pseudo space time science magic probably doesn’t make sense to begin with… (… Is that even a spoiler?)

Thoughts/Questions on Ch 17

S.17.32
This is what I think Usagi is saying:
そこが - that place
敵地 - enemy land (enemy territory, perhaps)
という- is called
こと - gerundizer
も - also (I don’t get what this guy is doing in this sentence, or is ことも its own thing?)
考えられる - can consider (potential, or is it passive - is considered?)
わね - yeah

So put it together and you’ve got “Maybe we should consider calling that place ‘enemy territory’” Or something like that. Google gives me: It’s possible that it’s an enemy land, and the English translation I’m checking has “Maybe what you saw was the enemy’s headquarters”, so I’m in the general vicinity.

It’s fascinating how translators make their choices. Because I like things in neat, tidy boxes (lol, I know!), I like to try to be as literal/direct as possible in my understanding. How do y’all translate these sentences as you read, or are you at the point where you don’t really translate anymore and you can just absorb the Japanese?

32-33
This feels a little too close to home these days. Covid-19 is caused by evil aliens, confirmed!

3 Likes

I’d say in this case google is a bit closer than your translation. ということ has a meaning in itself. In this case I think it is probably about making a phrase a noun, sometimes translated as “it means” but sometimes doesn’t really translate to English at all. 考えられる often means “can be considered as” or similar meaning. And after looking at the actual panel and what came before it, I think も might just be the also particle in this case. So from these definition (I got them from BunPro.jp), it would become something like:
“That place can also be considered enemy territory.” / “It means that place can also be considered to be enemy territory.”

DeepL says: “I suppose it’s possible that it’s hostile territory.”

So yeah, something along those lines. I haven’t quite read up to this part, so I wouldn’t know which nuance to go with exactly.

I tried to translate very literally early on in my reading (not Sailor Moon), but when I started to get a general understanding, I stopped doing that. Translating Japanese to English is way too much of an art. The languages are structured differently, but also come from entirely different ways of thinking/speaking, so translations often miss a lot of meaning unless you are willing to add in a lot more English to get the nuance across.

I personally started to feel that if I truly wanted to understand Japanese by itself, that is gonna take a lot of context. A LOT OF IT. And the sooner I stop trying to force Japanese to fit into my English understanding of language, the sooner Japanese can have a chance to truly take hold. At least this is how I feel and comes from my experience with getting so fluent in English that people usually can’t tell at all in text that I’m not a native speaker writer.

So I don’t know if I will go back to really try for full comprehension again, it might depend on how hard something is for me to read. The harder it is, the more full comprehension of sentences is needed to even get the gist of what is happening.

Last year when I read 結婚しても恋してる 1 (manga), I had to struggle through every sentence, barely understanding anything by itself. Both a lot of vocab, casual language, and just grammar I hadn’t seen. I might be reading volume two as soon as I get my books (they are currently with a friend in Japan since they didn’t manage to ship out before shipping mostly closed down), and I don’t know if it will still be as hard for me, but if it is I will once again have to go back to really digging into every bit, because with that manga missing part of the sentence could mean missing the whole tone of a conversation. :sweat_smile:

Sailor moon is not like that for me. Whether it is because I just understand most of the language anyway (except for a lot of words that enemies use, *le sigh*) or because it is written for a younger audience so the language is slightly simpler because of that.

4 Likes

Act.20 クリスタルトーキョー—KING ENDYMION

October, 1985: Time travel requires plutonium and a car.

August, 1993: Time travel requires Sailorplutonium and a door.

Note: The tankoubon release labels this as Act 19.

This Act appears in the following releases:

• Tankoubon vol. 5
  • Shinsouban vol. 4
  • Kanzenban vol. 3

This is the final Act in tankoubon volume 5. The story continues in volume 6.

Next week’s Act will be the final one in both shinsouban volume 4 and kanzenban volume 3.

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.20)
  • I’m taking my time (still on an earlier Act)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.21 and beyond)
  • I’m no longer reading this series

0 voters

You can always change your answer later if you’d like.

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 101 end
Shinsouban 147 192
Kanzenban 239 283

(Last pages are estimated.)

1 Like

Oh wow, just falling further and further behind. I guess I need to start slotting some daily reading or something. I really wish the arc could be moving a bit slower (and I’m only on act 16), I had hoped for more character development, aka actually getting to know the characters. And I think that is partly the thing slowing me down. (In that way I guess the anime with its “filler” episodes did get more of that across. Although I only saw most of the Dark Kingdom anime arc as a kid so relying on memory here.)

2 Likes

That’s how I feel on my 多読 for the year. I hope that that’ll turn around now that I’m getting in reading near-daily. Since Sailormoon is my big read for the year, I prioritize it first each day. Sometimes I slide a little on others (Yotsuba, Flying Witch), but I do try to get in extra reading over the weekend. I’m lucky that my daily life allows for it.

My memory of this arc in the anime is spotty because the original English dub actually didn’t finish dubbing this arc at first. (When the remainder of the arc was dubbed, they were aired as “lost episodes”.) So, I’m familiar with the first 13 or so episodes. Once we get past the four sisters, it’s essentially all new to me.

Looking back on the first story arc, the main enemies feel a bit on far with the “monster of the week” type anime. They come in, they attack the good guys, and they get killed off. Not to criticize, of course. I imagine when the comic was serialized in Nakayoshi, getting one chapter per month gave readers plenty of time to re-read the chapter and feel like they were getting to know the characters.

2 Likes

The feels! The feels!

I have ADHD, so routine is very important to helping me remember to do the things I want/need to do. And while it’s not the end of the world, deviation from routine can really throw me for a loop. I have all the time in the world most days because of Covid-19. I should be AHEAD! But my at-work routine has been obliterated, and I had built Japanese study (including Sailor Moon reading) into that comfortable, familiar workspace.

Luckily, today is an at-work day, and I’ve got my book with me!

4 Likes

Act 18 Thoughts/Comments/Questions/Etc. part 1

S.18.52 - This “cover” looks like a poster for the anime remake of The L-Word, and I am HERE for it!

53-54
Is Artemis a bit of a potty-mouth?!

Where did THAT come from? Did Luna just sort of summon it? The magic of manga? Is Batman’s tool-belt just off-panel?

2 Likes

I told myself “moon power” and moved on =D

2 Likes

Act.21 錯綜—NEMESIS

We’ve reached the Nemesis arc, which runs for three Acts.

Notice: In the tankoubon release, this is labeled Act.20, and includes two parts. This week’s reading is the first 50 or so pages, ending on this page:

Final page for this week.

• Tankoubon vol. 6
  • Shinsouban vol. 4
  • Kanzenban vol. 3

This is the final Act in both shinsouban volume 4 and kanzenban volume 3.

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.21)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.22 and beyond)

0 voters

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 4 54
Shinsouban 194 end
Kanzenban 285 end

1 Like

Aha! This time I actually read the post and know not to read the whole tankoubon section!! Phew. Thank you as always for your meticulous and helpful posts. :sparkles:

1 Like

Act.22 思惑—NEMESIS

This week is the second half of what was originally a long chapter in the tankoubon release.

Notice: In the tankoubon release, this is labeled Act.20, and is the latter half of a long chapter.

• Tankoubon vol. 6
  • Shinsouban vol. 5
  • Kanzenban vol. 4

Participation

Looks like we’re down to a small team of active readers!

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.22)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.23 and beyond)

0 voters

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 55 98
Shinsouban 5 50
Kanzenban 3 49

1 Like

I caught up with act 21 last night, so will start on act 22 today! I found act 21 easier/quicker to read than the last few weeks have been for me, so I’m hopeful I will zip along more quickly this week.

3 Likes

I finished Act 18! YAY!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get back on track!

3 Likes

Act.23 暗躍—WISEMAN

Notice: In the tankoubon release, this is labeled Act.21, and was named NEMESIS.

• Tankoubon vol. 6
  • Shinsouban vol. 5
  • Kanzenban vol. 4

Participation

Looks like we’re down to a small team of active readers!

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.23)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (Act.24 and beyond)

0 voters

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 100 144
Shinsouban 97 141
Kanzenban 97 141

2 Likes

Somehow I read act 23 in one sitting, which isn’t something I’ve done for ages, huzzah. I was confused–oh, I can ask here, right, yay!

General confusion

Okay. So Chibiusa goes off into the time-space void or whatever, and Mamo-chan goes after her, yes. And then Usagi gets back and hears this and is like, I’m going too! And Pluto says it’s too dangerous, but Usagi is insistent. Yes? And then suddenly Usagi is back in her own time?? No? What did I miss???

Also, while I am typing, I must say that this arc has a lot of Choices. :joy:

1 Like

After being way ahead at the start, then falling way behind due to business/getting absorbed by other media despite really enjoying the series, I’ve been catching back up! Stopped at the beginning of “SAILOR PLUTO” last night, so I should be caught up to the thread soon.

Enjoying the second arc a lot more than the first, which I felt was strongest in its first half. Takeuchi’s paneling has only gotten more incomprehensible, if anything–“Do you want to make it clear who’s talking here, where characters are standing, or what’s even happening at the end of this fight?” (furiously applying floral-pattern borders to a fever-dream nightmare of panels) “What?”–but it’s so high-energy that it’s part of its charm. Again, Takeuchi seems to be having a blast drawing it.

The mystery with Chibusa is a good throughline, and it’s been nice to see characters like Makoto get more character focus beyond the little bits of characterizing group dialogue they got in the first arc. Also nice that Mamoru’s been more front and center this arc, with things to do and worry about other than simply being the boyfriend or wondering about his past. Did not expect Motoki to be let in on the secret, especially so casually–and even had to reread those pages to make sure I wasn’t misreading a dream sequence or something. But no–it’s just the series’ weirdo energy as always, and he really does know about the base under the arcade now. I don’t mind the monster-(or underling, I guess)-of-the-week-ing, both because it’s a bit of a relief after the last half of the first arc, allows for the first three-fourths or so of the chapters to be used for character spotlighting in this way, and actually helps mask how incomprehensible Takeuchi’s action scene paneling can be, since all you need to catch is that gang shows up to shoot their special attacks at the abductor du jour and send them to the afterlife.

An underrated element of the series is that it takes place in a universe in which people are just all-in for occult theories and conspiracies. Dowsing, seances, aliens–the public can’t get enough of it! Even the over-achieving junior and high-school busybodies are filling out their resumes by chairing occult phenomenon and scifi clubs. It’s goofy and weird and I love it. As much as the series has come to be a pop-culture phenomenon through adaptations, you really never lose the sense that it’s the product of one person wearing her interests on her sleeves in the manga.

3 Likes