美少女戦士セーラームーン 第一期 ダーク・キングダム編 🏰

It’s おろうな, which in this case is the volitional form of おる, being used as a presumptive, ending with an equally presumptive な (a more forceful variant of ね). It would correspond with だろう(な) in less old-fashioned speech (as Beryl’s dialogue leans).

“I suppose you’re prepared for what will happen (if you fail)?”

Edit – Beaten.

3 Likes

Well, your explanation is much clearer than mine, so there’s something to be said about taking the time :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I re-read Act 2 before starting Act 3 Saturday morning. I hadn’t paid any attention to the kanji 洗脳 when I first read Act 2, so I didn’t even take notice when it came up in my lessons in WaniKani. Re-reading Act 2, every time I saw 洗脳, I felt like, “I can read this now!” I look forward to learning 義 soon, so I’ll recognize Sailormoon’s whole 「愛と正義のセーラー服」 intro.

I’d forgotten that Act 3 shows more of Queen Beryl’s team. (Took a bit longer in the original anime, which is what I’m most used to.) Anyone who grew up on the English dub of the anime will want to be aware that Beryl has no female general. They’re all male. I remember thinking Tokyo Pop made a mistake when referring to a certain character with male pronouns in their manga translation. (This was pre-Internet, so I didn’t know about the changes made for the dub.)

1 Like

Wait, did the English dub of the TV series change one of the Four Heavenly Kings’ genders? What? Why?

(I saw most of it when I was younger, but have almost no recollection of its details.)

1 Like

Without getting into the social politics of it, Zoicite became female.

The anime adds things not from the manga, but because it’s from later in this story arc I’ll “spoiler” it:

Details

The anime puts Zoicite and Kunzite (Malachite in the dub) in a relationship. Because they’re both men, and this was taboo in the US at the time of the original, especially for children’s television, Zoicite was made into a woman in the original English dub. (Fisheye from a later story arc would receive the same treatment.)

1 Like

Huh. There’s a lot going on there, both with the change for the original version of the show, and then the dub change on top of it.

Interesting. Thanks for the anecdote!

1 Like

If I didn’t get a great deal on the Shinsouban edition, I would have gone for the Kanzenban version, probably in digital form. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a bit behind as I’ve been sick, but I’m chugging along. Act 2 (S.2.62) question and an observation. First, the question: Is not-Molly (Naru) saying “Wanna go to that Fauchon Ice Cream on the corner?” or am I missing some nuance of 角 here? And now for the observation: Oh yeah, durrr, katakana doesn`t mean its in English… that’s all!

2 Likes

I read it the same as you. Especially with it being 角のフォションのアイスクリーム, it sounds right to me as “corner’s Fauchon’s ice cream”, meaning ice cream from the Fauchon on the street corner.

Considering how much Japanese shows up in katakana in this series… But, yeah, there’s plenty of non-English that’ll show up as katakana in manga. Depending on what you’re reading, you may encounter German, Russian…

My favorite non-Japanese katakana is near the start of Act 3, the (English) word ジャスト. Its usage makes sense, but it was rather unexpected for me.

2 Likes

Act 3 favorite Naoko tiny detail

dedusa

And I love that you can say “It smells like the enemy” in Japanese and the meaning is exactly the same.

3 Likes

Uff, page 105 was a struggle. Not sure I understand everything correctly…

my take on page 105

Note: no literal translations!

女の人
ウチの娘達が何処にいるか
レイちゃんお得意の霊感で占って欲しいだけなのよ
All I wish for is for Rei-chan to predict where the daughters are by using your special ability to sense supernatural stuff.

巫女さんねえ
こんなコに分かるのかねえ
子供達の居所
You’re a Miko, so you should know how to do that much. (Predicting the) children’s whereabouts.
Question: Is コ = こと?

でも霊感少女なんだろ
Not sure about this one… Is she making fun of her? Like doubting she can do that because she’s just a young girl (even though she has that kind of ability)?
Is this maybe the other woman saying that?

レイ
霊感だなんて...
Difficult to put that first one into proper English…
Ability to sense the supernatural… What (are you talking about?!)
But basically Rei is not amused about them talking about that special ability, I guess.

場所を特定出来るような
確実なモノでは...
Something like being able to identify the location, that for sure is…
Here I’m wondering if she wants to say it is NOT possible? Not sure about the では here… But the それより that follows might indicate otherwise, that Rei thinks it actually might be possible to locate them but it’s better to contact the police?

それよりケイサツに任せた方が...
More importantly, it’s better to leave it to the police.

女の人
こんな時ぐらい
愛想よく出来ないの?
せっかくこの神社に来てやってんのに
Uhm… I’m guessing…
At least this time, can’t you comply (with this request)? I especially/expressly (せっかく?) came to this shrine!

おじいちゃんの姿も見えないし意外と
Unexpectedly, I can’t see your Grandpa.

あなた達 家族でヘンな祈祷やって
I hear your family is involved in things like suspicous prayers / exorcism.

うちの娘を神隠しに合わせたんじゃないの!?
Isn’t it you who caused the mysterious disappearance of our/my daughter/s!?

…or to sum up, she’s just being mean. :angry: But if my daughter disappeared … I’d propably be furious and blinded by suspicion, too.

2 Likes
Some thoughts on your questions

I don’t have the book in front of me and I am not good at parsing who is saying what, so I will only go with what I am more sure about.

Question: Is コ = こと?
コ should be 子! I think this is referring to Rei–a girl like this (with these powers etc) should understand where the kids are.

場所を特定出来るような
確実なモノでは...
In my experience, when someone trails off with a では it is implying some sort of ない. What I think she’s saying is something like, it’s not such a reliable/exact thing that it can specify a location. And then the それより sort of puts that idea to the side and suggests that a better one is to leave it to the police.

こんな時ぐらい
愛想よく出来ないの?
せっかくこの神社に来てやってんのに
The last part with the 来てやってんのに makes it sound to me like they’re referring to their more regular patronage of this shrine, not just this one time. It also sounds like they kind of feel like Rei is not always ingratiating the way they might want her to be–but at a time like this couldn’t she just (for once) be more civil/social/accommodating?

4 Likes

When seeing なんだ, the first question I ask myself is, “Is this な + の + だ?”

霊感少女なの = acts as an adjective nominalized into a noun, to refer (in this case) to a person. “a girl with a sixth sense”.

The core of the sentence, with (as context tells us) Rei as the subject, is “Rei is a girl with a sixth sense” (to use the English term used for someone who can see spirits).

I’m don’t have enough knowledge yet to say why it does stated this way, using の.

For the whole sentence (which I’m assuming each word balloon is a separate person speaking), “But, she’s a girl with a sixth sense, right?” or a little less literal with the grammar, “But she has a sixth sense, right?” The use of でも does confuse me, because でも is used to contrast with what was said before it, and this sounds like it’s following the conversation.

Perhaps something like: “She a shrine maiden, after all.” “It should be understood by such a person, the children’s location.” “But, she has a sixth sense, right?”

I do wish I had my official English (second translation) on hand to compare with, but I won’t have that out of storage for two more weeks.

This なんて I read as “(things) like”, as you’ll find in some dictionary. “Things like a sixth sense…” or “Something like a sixth sense…” which leads into her saying it’s not really for finding things.

せっかく and のに are used together when great effort has been put into something, yet that effort may be going to waste. The effort appears between the せっかく and のに, so here the effort they have done that has been wasted was 「この神社に来てやってん」. Coming to the shrine was a waste of effort. “Even though I went to the trouble of coming to this shrine…”

This し is a conjunction particle, separating sentences like “and” in English. The と makes 意外 into an adverb, so it applies to the following verb (やる). I believe 意外と can be used to mean “strange” or “weird”. So, (loosely) “I haven’t seen your grandpa around, and you all do those weird prayers in your family.”

I am still a learner, so I may have made mistakes.

3 Likes

The only change I’d suggest above is

Which can also express surprise, suspicion, or contempt when used at the end of a sentence (i.e. after だ), especially for something you’ve heard and are repeating.

Kind of hard/often pointless to directly translate. But in that context it would indeed be along the lines of “‘Sixth sense,’ really…” (exasperatedly).

4 Likes

Thank you @valkow, @ChristopherFritz and @IanD!
That page was the hardest one for me in Act 3.

Other parts I have trouble to understand:

page 85
我がダークキングダムのジャマを する者は誰であろうと容赦はしない

Here's what I have (guessed)

我がダークキングダムのジャマを する者 + は
the person who makes (or serves as?) our Dark Kingdom demons (ジャマ)

誰であろうと容赦はしない
(I) will not forgive anyone

But here I don’t know what 誰であろう exactly means. Is と acting as the particle that defines who is not forgiven? Is あろう the volitional form of ある…?

I’m guessing she’s saying that whoever it is, even a person working for the dark kingdom (the person making the Youma) will not be forgiven (if they fail).

page 110
カベにぼっかり穴が。。。

I have no idea what ぼっかり means. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

ジャマ is “hindrance; obstacle; nuisance”. (I learned this one back when I watched Ojamajo Doremi years ago, and it comes up a lot in that anime.) So, the verb する (to do) applies to the object “interference of Dark Kingdom”.

I’m glad you asked, as this was one of those things that I passed over because I understood the gist of the overall sentence.

According to this N1 grammar page, 「 誰であろうと」 means “whoever”. I’ll want to look into this some more (to find out how exactly it works out to that meaning), but there it is.

It is indeed. It may or may not be (although I was at first certain it was). See the WordReference Forums link below.

ぽっかり =D

Edit: Good discussion here as well:

4 Likes

Ah, and here I thought they were talking about “Youma” because jisho and ichimoe gave me some kind of a demon as one of the definitions. :woman_facepalming:t2:

zoomes in as much as possible… ぽっかり, alright.

Apart from all that grammar and vocab stuff, I noticed that in the manga, Rei and Usagi don’t seem to be “love rivals”. If I remeber correctly, in that first (old) anime episode with Rei they were both into Tuxedo Mask and continued to fight over him kind of? Gosh, I LOVE that this is not in the manga and I hope it won’t be that way in any future chapters.

3 Likes

Rei had a lot of changes in the original anime. They had a lot of space to fill as the manga was monthly, and the anime was weekly. Thus, Rei ended up becoming an antagonist to Usagi (always fighting), as well as a love rival (well, it does make for a story arc), and a comic foil (something I’ve heard the voice actress wasn’t a fan of).

I recall an anime scene with the three of them on a carnival ride, with both girls hanging on to either side of Mamoru, and him looking like, “I want to be anywhere but here.” Yet he doesn’t actually do anything about it. (To that end, I feel Mamoru had some bad character traits given in the original anime nearly as much as Rei did.)

1 Like

Maybe spoilers, but I don’t say anything plot related just talk about the pacing lol

For good or bad, the manga is extremely fast paced, so there’s very little room to explore more “slice of life” elements and have some interpersonal drama so no need to worry for that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Some thoughts I had as I read through Act.3:

K.3.105

This is my first time ever seeing どこ as kanji.

K.3.110

Can we make the furigana a little smaller, please? (I know, it’s hard to avoid.)

K.3.113

This is not how technology works!

Then again, “magic pen = instant outfit change”, so…

1 Like