美少女戦士セーラームーン 第一期 ダーク・キングダム編 🏰

If you find yourself with any questions on the grammar, or if you don’t have time to look up everything you’re unsure about, don’t hesitate to ask here.

I’m hoping to find some time each day to write up on material from the story, but we’ll see how that goes.

2 Likes

Just trying to get a feel for how these threads/discussions go, so if this comes across as a total reading-club-newbie question … well, that’s because it is. :sweat_smile:

So, in your post I’m currently replying to, are you basically just recording some notes/tidbits that you’re encountering as you read? Are we supposed to respond? (Because I can’t think of how I’d respond to that kind of a post, and I’m just wondering how these reading groups work overall. :blush:)

3 Likes

I am indeed just putting down some notes and tidbits. You’ll see this from time to time in book club threads, where someone is putting down their research notes, and pointing out something that they had to look up, in case it may help others. I like to also find things that people not think to ask about, or interesting things I’ve found, such as when a certain word combination makes up an expression.

There may not always be anything to say in reply on one of those comments, but there’s likely people learning something new from it =)

4 Likes

Well, indeed. It just so happens I was trying to figure out what the underlying structure is for the grammar point [ だけでなく ] on BunPro, and found a reference that backs up your note about っす. It’s the very last thing mentioned on this Imabi page: https://www.imabi.net/thecopulaii.htm

2 Likes

Thanks for looking this up.

I’ve found many casual shortenings are easiest to understood the faster I read (same with the seemingly endless uses of って as substitute for everything). Of course, that means I kinda need to understand most of it. But quickly reading my mind took that っす as する and the sentence didn’t entirely make sense. Since I’m not reading for 100% comprehension, that didn’t matter so much to me.

But now I do understand what it means. So thanks. :green_heart:

4 Likes

Just finished the first act! I’ve never read the manga or watched the anime or anything, so I’m excited. In terms of vocabulary, from this first part I added three words to my deck: 宝石店 (though the meaning is obvious, I like to grab everything I can~), 怪盗, and なりすます。More generally, it’s fun so far and I’m looking forward to reading on. <3

5 Likes

I’ll be in the same geographical position as the books tomorrow, and plan to start reading straight away.
In the mean time, I have put on my Sailor Durtle to celebrate.

8 Likes

I just finished act 1. Sure felt nostalgic! :slight_smile:

I’ll be hitting new ground in vol 2 I think, so that’s something to look forward to.

@ChristopherFritz, thank you for including all the trivia in you opening post! Quite interesting to see what changes were made throughout the re-releases.

I looked up one or two handfuls of vocab, but grammar was quite ok. One sentence on the 2nd to last page of the act contained grammar I’d just looked up a week or so ago when it came up in 魔女の宅急便, so yay for reinforcement. :smile:

Said grammar (shinsouko p.47): 幻の銀水晶 手に入れねば, which is used apparently the same as なければ (must, have to), except that it was described as a bit stiff and for written Japanese when I looked it up. I suppose that might have been a tad different when Sailor Moon was first released.

3 Likes

Why is ケ used on p S.10 in 「みたいだケど」? I’m getting a feel for some of the katakana, but this feels really weird.

Thank you!! :smile: I think I’m going to do a combination of reading through and seeing how much I can understand and looking up what I don’t, as well as going back for a second read-through.

2 Likes

I’m reading the tankoban version and it’s ケド not ケど so that would be weird if the printing had that written in half-katakana and half-hiragana. Also, the katakana is likely just being used for emphasis in the cases you see it being used for words normally written either in hiragana.

A related stack overflow for someone asking why だめ is sometimes written in katakana in manga but should be broadly applicable in general:

5 Likes

Sometimes katakana doesn’t really have a reason other than the author liking the style or wanting some emphasis on their words. I’m reading a manga right now that’s mixing katakana and hiragana when a foreigner speaks.

A panel from 黒子のバスケ as an example

4 Likes

I’m getting the shinsouban edition, but I won’t be able to start for a couple of days, as I had to order volume 1 (and short stories 1) from Amazon Japan, as the set I’m getting locally is missing those two books.

1 Like

In the Kanzenban, it is also ケド. In this case, it is probably just a typo that somehow happened in the shinsouban version, although I have no idea how that would happen. (That is if I’m looking in the right place.)

2 Likes

It’s there again in panel 4 of page 13! Oh well.

That is weird. The editor must have not been paying enough attention.

1 Like

Well, in the Shinsouban (the version I have), both are written as ケド. Do you have the original version?

1 Like

Omg. I’m a moron. It’s katakana on both pages. Apparently I can’t tell the difference between ど and ド. D’oh!

8 Likes

Finally started reading. Her name is 月のうさぎ? :joy: it’s a basic pun, but it made me laugh.
Does she make もち at some point? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: well, that was fun. I remember slightly the first anime episode from my childhood. I really didn’t remember a thing until the mention of the sale.

I feel like the anime had more content, but since my memory is pretty damn blurry, I won’t trust it too much :thinking:

6 Likes

Don’t worry, that has happened to me too. Especially when I’m writing…

@Naphthalene I seem to also remember that there was more content, but then I watched the anime when I was… perhaps 8? 10? So over 20 years ago. I think I can be forgiven if I don’t remember correctly! :stuck_out_tongue: It also means I don’t remember any specifics, so I can enjoy the story as if it was the first time!

4 Likes