美少女戦士セーラームーン 第一期 ダーク・キングダム編 🏰

I don’t think the page numbers are correct for the reading guide for Act 4. I tried to fix it, but the formula messed up the other versions. Are there multiple Shinsouban editions?

Pic under the summary, in case maybe spoilery.

Summary

1 Like

Nearly done with Volume 2 of the Kanzenban. Sorry! I’ll get my thoughts up for Chapters 4 and 5 tonight when I can go back over them to check highlights. I start having a lot more to say around Chapter 7 or so, though I’ve enjoyed each one.

1 Like

I only add page numbera for the Kanzenban version when I’m adding vocab and the page numbers for the other verions fill in automatically because of the formular. I don’t want to mess with the formular, so I think we should kindly ask and wait for @ChristopherFritz to check and fix it.

I’m catching up! Finally finished “Masquerade”. I barely remembered having watched this episode either, but it was fun having it come back as I read through it.

Random thought: Tuxedo Mask is team Instinct. Ha.

4 Likes

The page numbering for Act.4 on the vocabulary sheet should be correct now!

2 Likes

Act.6 タキシード仮面—TUXEDO MASK

I’m still finishing up moving, so I haven’t had a chance to add to the vocabulary sheet for Act.5. But I’ve managed to keep up my reading, and am ready for Act.6!

i_0204

We’re keeping with the same thread for now. Feel free to keep asking any questions you may have in Act.1 through Act.5. Be sure to make use of the [spoiler] tags for anything spoilery, as some readers will still be working through earlier Acts. For any spoilery images, [details] works nicely as well.

For tankoubon readers, we’re up to volume 2. Later releases are still on volume 1 for now.

2f

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.6)
  • I’m taking my time (still on an earlier Act)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (to Act.7 and beyond)
  • I’m no longer reading this series

0 voters

Remember, you can always change your answer later if you’d like.

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 4 46
Shinsouban 198 end of volume
Kanzenban 203 244

(Last pages are estimated, so it may be a page or two shorter.)

Important: Shinsouban readers, now’s a good time to pick up your volume 2 if you haven’t already. You’re up to the last chapter of the first volume. Kanzenban readers, we’re down to the last two chapters in volume 1.

Vocabulary

A tab for adding Act.6 vocabulary is now available.

3 Likes

This week has been crazy and I only kept up with 獣の奏者, 霧の向こうのふしぎな町 and Re: Zero :anguished: hopefully things calm down this week.

3 Likes

I’m behind, (still in Act 4) And hoping to do some catch up this week. Of random note, I have been having some forum access issues- its probably just me because I see there has been plenty of posts running about, and it seems to only happen when I’m using my cellphone as a hotspot. So *hopefully its not a permanent thing (clearly I’m able to access this from home atm) but 99% Japanese study time is from my hotspot.

I’m half way through Act 5 and I intend to finish it today.

I forgot to post this (Act 4)

At first glance it looked like some old geezer was patting Usagi’s head and I thought, eh, why would Naoko Takeuchi draw the game center boy like an old guy… until I noticed that the lines and curves that looked to me like an ear, a nose and some wrinkles were acutally just artsy “swoosh”-curves (idk how you’d call that)…?

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen it this way before, but now I can’t unsee it!

1 Like

Are you using mobile? Apparently others have been having trouble accessing the forums from their phones. No issues from my laptop.

Its AT&T network. I’m using my laptop in both cases, its just the network I’m connected to. I use my phone as a hotspot at work to connect to avoid company wifi- can’t get it to load. I can play FFXIV so, I know the connection is fine :stuck_out_tongue: I come home, connect via comcast, forums work great.

Here’s a wikipedia article about the school Mamoru is attending:

3 Likes

I know it’s not important for the context but this was still bugging me, so I looked it up in the English version. They translate it as “How are we supposed to recognize her?” So I assume Rei is asking for a “sign” that helps them identify the princess.

Back to Act 6:
I’m not sure if this was Takeuchi’s intention but I like that you can read the last line of Act 6 both as “Did you realize / become aware of (it)?” and “Did you wake up / recover consciousness?” . Even though the latter fits the context best (as Usagi was unconscious), I can’t help but think that he could be asking if Usagi realized that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask

spoiler for Act 7

…because she actually is about to find out!

2 Likes

@ChristopherFritz, the page numbers aren’t right for chapter 6 :frowning:

1 Like

Thoughts (so far) on Act 6

S. 6. 207
I can hear that ちがおっっ so clearly in my head. Adorable!

I’m not quite sure what Ami is saying in the 5th panel, second part of her word bubble. I get the idea of “How does Usagi even know such a person”, or is it more like, “Usagi, you know this type of person?” In my head it’s a question, but I don’t think the grammar comes out that way.

p. 108
マスコミ is a great word for “media”. I like it!

Luna’s whole bit down here could be summed up as “WTF?!” right?

Not directly related to the chapter, but…
I mentioned to a coworker (Japanese) that I am reading through Sailor Moon in Japanese. She wants to try it in English! Every Thursday I spend some time having an informal conversation class with her, and yesterday we watched clips of Sailor Moon live action adaptations on YouTube.

3 Likes

This should be fixed now. Thanks for letting me know! The kanzenban release has the 「ーーあたしがリーダー!?」 page before the Act.6 title page, whereas the shinsouban release has it after. I’ll (try to) pay more attention to this.

I thought the same thing =D

Keeping in mind that Ami just commented on Mamoru’s “elite” school, I read the 「あんな人と知りあいなんて」 as “You know a person like that?” I think a key here is to accept this is the end of one sentence, and text in another font as a separate sentence. Thus, I read 「うさぎちゃんたら!」 along the lines of a slightly scolding, “Really, Usagi-chan!”, conveying along the lines of “Why didn’t you tell us you know someone like that who attends such an elite school where most students score really high on tests?”

Since I have my (incomplete) set of the English re-translation books out of storage, I decided to peak at the translation there:

Photo of panel.

And just for fun, because I also have it out of storage now, the original English monthly magazine release:

Photo of panel.

Edit: I forgot to comment on this portion:

The newer English translation (the first photo above) seems very well done. It’s based on the shinsouban release. There’s also an English release of the kanzenban which probably uses the same translation.

2 Likes

Act.7 地場衛—TUXEDO MASK

Once you finish reading Act.7, you’ve reached the halfway point of the first of the five Sailormoon story arcs!

This week continues with more Tuxedo Mask. Or rather, could this be… Is Tuxedo Mask really… …?

Random aside: Anyone used to the original anime has probably noticed by now: Tuxedo Mask’s rose attack isn’t in the manga! That was added for the anime. Looking back on it, I feel Tuxedo Mask’s rose was pretty analogous to the は particle: it always signaled a shift in the context of the action taking place.

All right, we’re still keeping with the same thread for now. Feel free to keep asking any questions you may have in Act.1 through Act.6. Be sure to make use of the [spoiler] tags for anything spoilery, as some readers will still be working through earlier Acts. For any spoilery images, [details] works nicely as well.

For shinsouban readers, we’re up to volume 2. Kanzenban is up to its final chapter in volume 1.

Participation

• I’m reading along (ready for Act.7)
  • I’m taking my time (still on an earlier Act)
  • I’ve gone on ahead (to Act.8 and beyond)
  • I’m no longer reading this series

0 voters

Remember, you can always change your answer later if you’d like.

Pages

Release First Last
Tankoubon 4 46
Shinsouban 198 end of volume
Kanzenban 203 244

(Last pages are estimated, so it may be a page or two shorter.)

Important: Kanzenban readers, this is the final chapter in volume 1! Better hurry and secure volume two if you haven’t yet!

Vocabulary

A tab for adding Act.7 vocabulary is now available.

2 Likes

Wow, it feels so nice to read that. I’m really excited to start reading Act 7 and finish volume 1, it will be quite an achievement for me and I will feel great about it (comparing to how great I already feel just knowing that I’m so close to finishing one volume of Sailor Moon in Japanese!). I was sooo close buying volume 2 (ebook) already but I said to myself to only buy it after I finished volume 1, kind of as a reward.
So, time to finish kanzenban volume 1 this weekend! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Not to mention knowing you’ll be halfway through the whole story arc =D

2 Likes