pull sfx

パッ

Suddenly turning in surprise sfx

あっ

Ah!

その隣の席の女の子は

The girl sat next to me.

5年経った今も僕の隣にいる。

Five years have passed and she’s still next to me.

Page 11

ルート分岐

Route divergence

ねぇ

Hey

ん?

What?

もしあのとき停電がなかったら…

Supposing that power cut never happened…

私たちこうなってなかったかもね

I wonder if we might not have ended up like this.

そうだね

That’s right

それかもし

Supposing…

引きよせた手が

the hand being pulled…

私じゃなく上司の宇水さんだったら

wasn’t me but was my boss Mr Umizu.

…… ううん

Well…

やっぱりなんでもない

Either way it’s nothing.

なぜその可能性を!?

Hey, why are you talking about that possibility!?

Page 12

撮れるかな

Can I take a photo

駅まで傘もっていくね

Bring a brolly to the station

わーメッセージに気づくの遅れた

Wah! I didn’t see that message in time!

いた!

She came!

少しつまらなそうに待つ姿が可愛くて

That slightly bored looking figure stood waiting looked cute!

こっそり写メ撮れるかなーって

I thought I could stealthily take a photo on my mobile

スマホかざしたら

I held up my smartphone

駅員ふたりに捕まった話する?

I was caught by the station staff. Should I tell that story?

6 Likes

How about - “after this it seems I am being mind trained”?

Or - This episode made me realise that now I am in a relationship I seem to be subject to some kind of creepy mental discipline exercises from my otherwise lovely girlfriend… :grin:

4 Likes

Hi everyone. Super absolute beginner here. I still need about 6 weeks to have an overview of the basic grammar, but I couldn’t resist joining the club. On the very first panel I struggle to understand the function of the last part of the first sentence: でのこと.

Could anybody please help me with that? By the way, I am mesmerised seeing so many people chiming in and helping each other. It is really inspiring and uplifting.

5 Likes

Hey there welcome! It’s hard to resist joining in isn’t it? We’re all here to enjoy the language and the grammar learning is such a slog…

The grammar is (I think):

で - meaning “at” (it happened “at” a のみかい - drinking party)

こと - kind of meaning “thing”

の - is a possessive particle that links the two together

So it’s a “happened at a drinking party” thing

3 Likes

Adding to @Micki’s response, I bolded above an important part.

From what I’ve seen (and others can chime in if they’ve commonly seen exceptions to this), when this conjugation is used for future events, it sends to be potential rather than passive. Since これから means “after this”, it signals to me that it’s potential.

There is the possibility that the narration is from the future looking back (thus passive), but the そう suggests the narration is happening “right now” (そう makes it sound uncertain, whereas a narrator looking back on the event would be very certain).

4 Likes

Thanks, @Micki and @ChristopherFritz. I feel like I understand the sentence better even if I don’t quite understand why he’d think that at that moment. But it made me realize that it might make more sense in the future when I know the characters better.

I’m only actually getting to learning passive today (so not knowing that didn’t help), but it will be helpful in the future to know that it is probably potential when talking about the future.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on it:

Haru set up Shingo meeting her parents. Not only that, he was being tested. He didn’t have to help out this old couple who asked him for directions. He could have said he was waiting for someone and blown them off, resulting in a bad impression to who would turn out to be Haru’s parents. Finding out this out totally stressed him out. He’ll need to steel his mind to survive this kind of ordeal in the future.

6 Likes

So I kinda get that.

More details, with a bit of spoiler of current pages

But if it had been me in that moment I would have thought about it more like mind trick/training just happened, rather than immediately jumping to that will probably happen in the future. That was why I thought I didn’t think I understood the sentence, because it made a mental leap I wouldn’t have quite yet. That is why I mentioned maybe I’ll understand better as I get to know the characters more.

Even just looking at the later half of the first story, when they are on the coach talking about what if it had been the boss’s arm he’d grabbed instead of hers. Even there I found his last thought a bit of a leap in a direction I wasn’t expecting.

2 Likes

@Micki Thanks a lot! Much appreciated It makes much more sense now. Hard to resist? Impossible I’d say! :wink:

3 Likes

The new thread is here \o/ Week 2
I still don’t have the ability to read it, but I promise that I will (it’s my book club so… :eyes:)

5 Likes

I don’t know if other sites are doing the same, but Kobo just put vol 1 back up for free preview until September 5.

https://www.kobo.com/jp/ja/ebook/zu6gzkioYjGIICV6-FoBug

4 Likes

Same on Amazon at least.

(https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07VRYXF6N?pd_rd_i=B07VRYXF6N&storeType=ebooks)

3 Likes

Hey there,
I’m having some questions on page 12. Would be nice if someone could help.

少しつまらなそうに待つ姿がかわいくて = The slightly bored looking (from waiting/waiting) figure was cute looking. I’m not really sure if i got the まつらなそうに待つ section correct, especially with the particle.

スマホかざしたら = Why the ~たら ending and isn’t that past conditional? How would I translate that?

The sentence ending with 話する?= How does that fit in the translation, the first part was no problem.

Thanks for any help

PS: I used @Micki translations as guideline/reference sometimes. Thanks for your work :smile:

4 Likes

つまらなそうに is the adverbial form - the ~そう ending is a な-adjective, which forms an adverb by sticking a に on the back. 少しつまらなそうに待つ = waiting a little bordedly.

~たら is just conditional (not past tense, even though it looks like past tense), but it can also imply “when” as well as “if”. “When I held up my smart phone…”. It’s also the first half of a sentence which continues in the next panel. (Or perhaps, to be more precise, all of the narration lines running through this whole page comprise one big sentence.)

Thinking it’s (such-and-such)話 = the story about (such-and-such).

dramatic pause

する? = Shall I tell (you) about it?

Or something like that.

Googling suggests that 話する = to tell a story.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot, I actually didn’t know this function of に yet.

3 Likes

Just finished reading the first 3 stories. I really want to thank @Micki , he helped out a ton!

Although I was surprised by how much I could understand, there were still some hard parts.

First, I know this was answered by Belthazar, but I still don’t really understand the last part of 少しつまらなそうに待つ姿がかわいくて. What is くて doing there? Is it just to connect it to the next clause using the て form?

Second, when Haru’s father says “なかなか親切な好青年じゃないか” I understand the words and I can form a sentence with it, but the か is putting me off. Without it, the father is saying that he’s not a nice, kind young man (which I doesn’t sound right, though he might be joking) but with the か I’m not really sure how to form it into a sentence. Could someone please translate this and explain the か here?

Thanks! Look forward to reading more!

4 Likes

Yep. To be clear, the complete sentence is:

少しつまらなそうに待つ姿がかわいくて、こっそり写メ撮れるかなーって、スマホかざしたら、駅員ふたりに捕まった話する?

Shall I tell you the story about the time when I saw how cute you were, waiting a little bit bored, I thought I’d take a secret photo with my phone, but when I raised my phone, I was caught by two station employees?

With the backwards grammar typical of Japanese, the English translation doesn’t work great for manga pacing, but that’s my take on the sentence.

じゃないか = something like “isn’t he?”

He’s such a nice young man, isn’t he?

7 Likes

Thanks a lot. I didn’t really know about じゃないか, so I separated じゃない and か, giving me the direct opposite meaning. Thanks for explaining!

3 Likes

I’ve been to a few nomikai when I worked in Japan as an ALT but I don’t remember the clapping at the end… I may have had one too many beers!!

1 Like

Doing my best to catch up…! Thank you everyone for this amazing thread. Thank you to everyone who asked, and answered, questions, and thank you so much @Micki for your clear and super-useful translations!

4 Likes