粋 vocab context sentence error

Hello there !
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the context sentence for 粋, or rather its translation, is wrong :thinking:
自分で粋な会話をしてるって思ってるところがムカツクんだよね。was translated “He believes that he carries on refined conversations, but they’re actually irritating.”

However, since what the person finds irritating in the sentence is ところ (which stands here for a characteristic of someone), I believe “The fact that he believes he carries on refined conversations is irritating”, or less literally, “It’s irritating how he thinks he carries on refined conversations”, would be more appropriate right ? (I am not english, so if you want to provide a better translation, you’re welcome :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

ところが can be used how the sentence translation is written (imagine 2 clauses and the ところが as the “but actually” clause conjunction), though I can see how you would translate it the way you did. It would be clearer if there was punctuation delineating the two.

Oh, you’re right ! Since there wasn’t any comma, I assumed が was the subject particle ! It would be nice if they could add a comma though, or maybe a point before ところが :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.