私のベーコンクッキーを一箱全部食べちゃったのは誰!?— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

( …same here :see_no_evil:)

1 Like

Holy moly! totally This made me want to make some…

1 Like

That’s a good sign you caught the awkwardness of the reading いちはこ!

1 Like

#totallyworthit

2 Likes

@Saida already gave you great explanations but as the answer to your original question…

It’s because the sentence is emphasizing on 誰 (who).

The particle could’ve been at the beginning (and we use が in that case).

誰が私のベーコンクッキーを一箱全部食べちゃったの!?
Who ate the whole box of my bacon cookies!?

But in the example sentence, Mami was so upset. She needed to know who did such a thing to her.

It may sound off, but a more literal English translation of 私のベーコンクッキーを一箱全部食べちゃったのは誰!? would be something like:
The person who ate the whole box of my bacon cookies was who!?

3 Likes

@EiriMatsu @aiju

This makes sense (as I agree ちゃった is more casual than てしまった), but actually, 私のベーコンクッキーを一箱全部食べちゃったのは誰ですか!? doesn’t sound awkward to me.

For example, I’d say ベーコンクッキーを一箱全部食べちゃったんです。in situations where I talk to someone who I don’t know well or boss, etc.

I would use 食べてしまったんです in written form but it could sound a bit stiff in conversations.

1 Like

I was thinking about this earlier today. Does putting something nearer the end of the sentence always put more emphasis on it? Could I say「何かがいつも忘れる」to place more emphasis on「いつも」, as opposed to「いつも何かが忘れる」which would emphasise 「何か」more? (Also, my default reaction was to use 忘れた, but I don’t really know what tense should be used. Sorry if this is off-topic ^-^;)

3 Likes

You mean 「何かいつも忘れる」- I always forget (to bring) something, correct?

I am not entirely sure if the “later it comes, more emphasis it gets” theory applies to every situation yet (sorry!), but I think it’s more like “if it comes at the end, it has more emphasis.”

For the sentence you mentioned, it’d be いつも忘れる、何かを。, if it makes sense!

2 Likes

I’m curious about the context in which you would use a sentence like this. Are you 1)expecting one of the people around you to confess that they did it, or 2)are you mainly speaking aloud to yourself in surprise?

1)
トイレの写真を取ったのは誰!?
(talking to the children after they have been using the camera without supervision)

2)
私の自転車を盗みちゃったのは誰!?
(probably no one who’s listening to you was the one who did it)
or would something like this be more usual, because what you’re really upset about is that it is gone:
誰が私の自転車を盗みちゃったのよ!

If you understand the difference between direct and distal speech, then please disregard my comment completely. :slight_smile: It’s better to err on the side of caution as a beginner in Japanese (especially if you’re in an environment with natives), so my note was made with that in mind.

I do agree with this, especially when one has been understanding of Japanese. ちゃった is definitely more colloquial, but it also can be inappropriate in the wrong circumstances. I saw a teacher snap at a student yesterday for using ちゃった with him.

As for です, most beginners are taught polite vs casual but nothing about distal speech, so its easier to recommend matching those at first.

2 Likes

I think of direct / distal as being somewhat similar to du/Sie in German or tu/vous in French (what linguists call T-V distinction), i.e. it is largely determined by the speaker – addressee relationship. Whereas the use of colloquialisms and other forms of “relaxed speech” are determined largely by how serious the tone of conversation is. I might be quite close to someone and have a light, relaxed conversations full of colloquialisms, but conventions might still dictate that we use “Sie” in addressing each other.

But you’re right, it might be best not to overload the beginner with such nuances. Especially for a native speaker of contemporary English which lacks a lot of this complexity (Moving from Germany to the UK I found this actually to be quite challenging. Addressing a superior by first name just feels so wrong…)

2 Likes

Yeah, I think so. It also could just be the person being upset saying “how dare someone did this”!
( Btw it’s kind of confusing because of the same reading and both being “to take” in English, but use 撮る for 写真 or 動画! )

That’s a tricky conjugation, but this would be
私の自転車を盗んじゃったのは誰!?

Same as 1), it could be the person actually wanting to know who stole the bike, or it also could be just saying “how dare someone stole my bike!”

For 誰が私の自転車を盗みちゃったのよ!,
誰が私の自転車を盗んだのよ!would sound more natural and I think it can also be used in the same way as the earlier one and 1).

2 Likes

Agreed, if you use a relative clause I think it still needs some kind of verb ending . Context could probably be forgiving i.e. drunk/small child/super mad

I think dropping the verb ending (actually copula) in this kind of sentence is very common in casual speech, and you don’t need to be super mad or drunk.

I love having example sentences to try out - how often do you do these? Can we have more?!

WK is great for kanji (the best I’ve tried) but there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent user friendly app for practising and learning the grammar. The concept of 食べてしまった as an unfortunate or accidental action is entirely new to me and I bet there are loads of these unusual grammatical endings to learn.

Tai Kim’s stuff is great, but I would love some more practical applications. Any ideas where I can learn more grammar?

1 Like

Have you checked Bunpro? They do individual grammar points with SRS, based on the grammar needed for each JLPT level.

Also, I don’t know if you do this already but I recently started using Rikai-kun with the WK example sentences, and it helps way more than I thought it would :smiley: I actually want to read them now…

Bacon cookies sound mildly intriguing! I think you should bake a box for the entire WaniKani community!!! Just saying…

1 Like

Awesome, I haven’t tried either of those so will definitely have a look - thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

I translated it down to ‘Who ate all the bacon cookies’

Which I suppose is still right, but I missed out a few elements like ‘box of’ and the emphasis of it being ‘my’ box of cookies.

1 Like

I need cookies now

1 Like