神さまがまちガえる | Volume 3 Discussion

Page 60

That’s how I take it.

Page 61

I didn’t catch it the first time either, but he starts to say 彼女 (かの) in the previous speech bubble before changing to say 友達.

Page 81

I think he’s just pointing out how she often goes out when people are visibly different even though she’s the same as usual, which makes her the odd one out. Hopefully that clears up her response as well.

Page 82

You can just think of it as それじゃフロフィールにならない converted into a rhetorically question (possibly to soften the tone, but not sure). Basically he’s just saying (rhetorically asking) that it no longer counts as a profile picture.

5 Likes
thought on the chapter - trying not to spoil but just hidden just in case

Liked your thoughts on the chapter.

I do wish, they had a little more fun with this bug though. Could have thrown in at least one prank or some embarrassing funny incident. I’m more curious than ever given that the whole future timing of the previous bug seemed fixed (fate could not be changed), in that buggy world.

Makes me wonder who, what, why, are things being controlled, built or what? Only time will tell, looking forward to more of the world being revealed.

3 Likes
Pg. 62

I took it as Kon watching a lot of different videos. The start of Kon’s next spiel kinda lends itself to that for me:

「学校で流行ってる動画から」

“From the video that was popular at school…”

I think this is all one big spiel, starting from that previous comment above:

「学校で流行ってる動画から関連動画とか見てたら止まらなくなっちゃって (next panel, but still connected) 歌ってる人のを一通り見たら映像の人からたどって見たり」

Breaking it into manageable chunks:

学校で流行ってる動画から

“From the video(s) that was (were) popular in school,”

関連動画とか見てたら止まらなくなっちゃって

“When I was watching the related videos, I became unable to stop, and…”

歌ってる人のを一通り見たら映像の人からたどって見たり

“When I had watched every part (referring to related videos, I’m assuming) of the singer’s, I started to follow along with the person who created the videos (I’m taking a liberty translating the 映像の人 here, because it matches the context, but it’s probably not exact).”

Taken altogether, and rephrasing a bit for natural English,

“I started with watching the video that was popular at school, and I couldn’t stop watching the related videos, and after watching all of the ones related to the singer, I started to follow the trail of who created the videos…”

Then he shows a couple of video examples to…his friend (oh I’m terrible, I forgot the guy’s name all of a sudden).

Basically, he fell down the Youtube rabbit hole. :joy:

Pg. 65

“At least to the extent of my work, it’s more fun to be a different person.”

So, he’s saying that he likes the flexibility of totally different styles and such, at least when it comes to work (not necessarily wanting to be a totally different person outside of that)

Pg. 74

I just read it as prefacing with, “It’s fine.”

“It’s fine, even if he finds out, it would just be a little embarrassing.”

Pg. 81

Yeah, I think that’s the gist of it.

4 Likes

14 - 27㎝未来

Start Date: August 19th

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

4 Likes

Thanks for all the answers, @seanblue and @MrGeneric, and sorry for the delayed reaction!

Page 81

I think what mainly confused me here was that “You can often go out in such circumstances.” is a weird sentence, and having “Why?” as an answer didn’t make it better. But coincidentally since posting this I’ve seen another よく in a similar context, and found a meaning that I didn’t know yet: “to express one’s admiration/ surprised feelings/disbelief” (from here). It even has a similar example:

There is no “よくもまあ to stress the meaning” in our sentence, but if that’s only there to stress the meaning, I feel like it can probably have the same meaning without the “もまあ”.

So maybe our sentence is:

“I can’t believe you can walk around in this situation.”

(Oh, I just found out that that’s even in a jisho definition too: “(you have) quite the nerve to; I don’t know how you can …”)

(…and if anybody has an idea for page 75, that question is still open.)

3 Likes

And I finally sat down and read this chapter!

Chapter thoughts

That was probably my least favourite chapter so far. A few panels were cute, and we got like one and a half new insights into characters, and that’s about it. All in all it was pretty boring.

I’m a bit surprised that Kasane just believed Kousei, and that Kon of all people caught it. I’d think Kasane was a bit better at doubting people, considering that studying people is like half of her job.

Questions:

Page 91

So, Maruko is literally saying “If it extended to that extend…”. Is there a missing いい between ば and な, as in “It would be good if it extended to that extend, wouldn’t it?”? And what is she talking about? That it would’ve been nice if the bug’s influence also extended to an adjustment of Kon’s サイズ感 and not just to his physical size?

Page 93

Is that “Of course not”?

Page 94

“Without thinking anything”? Does that mean that he’s saying this without thinking about it?

Page 104

Is that “From the looks of it, there seem to be lots of kids whose appearance that of about mid-10s to 20s”?

Page 111

I guess he’s saying something like “Don’t tell him (that it’s no use to imagine it)” because he thinks it’s cute that Kon is concentrating so hard on it? If so… how does that work grammar-wise? “Let’s do it without saying it”?

1 Like
Page 75

The construction かと思ったら is basically an extension over たら as a conditional, that basically means ‘just when I thought’. か is expressing the ‘just’ - it expresses that the thought had just formed itself and was still in a state of doubt, and when that happened (たら) something else made the speaker realize his thought was wrong.

かと思ったら・かと思うと (JLPT N2) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

So basically here Kon is saying that just when he got convinced that 一眼レフ was used only for photos, he got to realize it could be used for video too.

2 Likes
Answers

Page 91

I agree. There’s an implied いい, and yes, she means it would have been nice if both their physical size and their sense of size had both grown together.

Page 93

Yep. いや, さすがに => No, certainly (not).

Page 94

I am not sure. My interpretation is that this is linked to what he says at the end: 楽しかったかも → that he enjoyed the soccer club more when he was in grade school because he could just play it without having to think hard about it. I imagine he means that he could do it freely, while in middle / highschool things were more serious and he would often worry about his club.

Page 104

十代半 would be the latter part of 10s, (so between 15-19) to their 20s (in this case, any 20s).

2 Likes
Page 75

Hum. I kind of figured it was like this, but it still seems a bit awkward, considering that I don’t see when/how Kon actually realized that it can be used for more than photos. Like, it would’ve made more sense to me if he saw it being used as a video camera at that moment, or learnt that the person he’s talking to is a videographer. I guess the realization happened in some time in the past, and he’s just trying to find a way to start the conversation…

Page 94

Ah, yeah, that makes sense too! My interpretation was that maybe he “says it without thinking” because he says it without realizing that it might be perceived as “uncool” - which is why he backpedals immedately afterwards.

2 Likes

15 - 自転車園内

Start Date: August 26th

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes

this chapter was interesting

liked how they built the relationship between the friends and gave a little backstory along with the mystery of the bugs, while the sweet sea took a backset to the whole thing (thought he might actually tell the truth but guess he’s still unsure - it is ironic he didn’t care until someone else told him he should be cautious - double edged sword for sure)

find it interesting that Kon picked up the video games really fast and then also never? rode a bike before? does he learn fast cuz of the bug that brought him there? hmmm bummed there is only one chapter left before many months of waiting for more :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes
Chapter thoughts

Alright, this was much better than the last one! A chapter about everyone’s favourite bug: Kon.

As a German it was fun for me to see the German word “Apfelkuchen” (apple pie) spelled out in katakana, haha. This specific one is “Pariser Apfelkuchen”, btw; I guess it might be French according to the name, but Germans sure do love their apple pies. I bought a piece after reading the chapter!

And is was much easier to read than the last two chapters too. The only question I have this time is why the one that doesn’t like sweet things is the one who suggests to go to the (temporarily sweet) ocean :laughing:

だよねー

4 Likes

16 - 休息のち人間観測

Start Date: Sptember 2nd

• I’m reading along
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

4 Likes
Page 161

Is that basically “Well, better me than people who’d mess with it”?

Page 172

Is that “I was just thinking that maybe I also came to understand that I’m a bit of the thing called ‘human’.”? What’s the は doing after the 私も少し?

Page 176

What exactly does Kon dislike there? It becoming a blockbuster? Himself becoming part of a blockbuster?

Chapter thoughts

Well, that was an alright last chapter. We see a bit of young Kasane and learn a bit more about her and her special nature. On the other hand, we get a lot of monologuing, barely any interaction between characters, and the bug isn’t super interesting by itself either.

What we finally did learn though is that she really has no idea why she’s immune to bugs. During volume 1 I wondered whether she knows more about bugs than she lets on, considering that she’s immune to them, but now that we finally saw things from her perspective it’s at least clear that she isn’t some kind of mastermind in league with whatever controls the bugs.

As a side note, I guess she’s young and might be prone to this kind of thinking right now, but it’s still a bit odd that on page 161 she looks at the state of the bug and concludes that yeah, she really isn’t human. It isn’t just humans that are stopped, it’s every living and non-living thing. So, if the thesis is “I’m unlike the things that bug has stopped” then the conclusion would be “I’m unlike everything else”. And while that is true from a certain standpoint, it feels to me like “Do bugs affect her?” and “Is she human?” are two separate and possibly unreleated questions, and that it’s not just “human bugs don’t affect her” but more directly “she is ignored by the whole bug system”.

Volume thoughts

All in all, I enjoyed this volume! It didn’t have a killer chapter like the last volume, but we learnt more about Kasane and Iyoda, two chapters dealt with Kon’s special nature and the sneezing chapter was pretty fun! The only chapter I really didn’t care about was the age change one.

It was a step up in overall quality from the last volume, but nothing came even close to the chapter were we learnt about the waterfleas Kon’s true nature.

We’re done with the volume, @MissDagger! My spoiler-free thoughts on it regarding the format:

It’s unfortunately still “bug of the week” and none of the bugs have any lasting consequences this time (although one did have some stakes at some point), but:

• In two of the chapters we primarily learn more about characters.
  • Two of the chapters primarily deal with something impactful we learnt about in the last volume.
  • One of the chapters was just really funny.
  • There was only one chapter I didn’t care about.

For me, it’s good enough as it is, and I’m looking forward to the next volume. If it was already here, I’d start reading it immediately.

As someone who also thought the first volume was rather lackluster, I’d recommend giving it another try.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll move it into a maybe list then. That’s a step up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice. Maybe you’ll finally join us again when the next volume comes out!

(And I’d recommend at least checking out volume 2. It was all around pretty solid, and has one chapter where I’m not sure 5 out of 5 stars would be enough. It’s what made me really excited to continue reading. Your mileage might vary, obviously, but I think I’m not the only one who felt that way.)

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Volume 2 definitely had me majorly interested in continuing reading, and Volume 3 gives me similar vibes. It wasn’t quite as strong as Volume 2, but it was still really strong for the most part.

5 Likes
Answers™

絡んでくる means picking a fight with - I believe she’s referring to the fact that she prefers dealing with this bug than with the girls that were attempting to bully her at the beginning of the chapter.

My interpretation is somewhat different. A few pages back, Kasane makes this prediction:

but she has no confidence in understanding people:

However, Kon’s reaction is exactly as she predicted:

So いやぁ私も少しは人間ってものがわかってきたかなぁって in my view means “I thought that maybe I had come to understand a bit the thing called people”

I believe it’s setting the topic - it’s emphasizing that she’s come to understand humans only a bit.

Not sure myself, but 大作 also means a large-scale work, so maybe he means that making such documentary would be too much work and he doesn’t want to deal with that.

3 Likes