神さまがまちガえる Home Thread (Beginner Book Club) - Currently Reading: Volume 3

Could someone prepare the vocab sheet? I’m currently only half-functioning with a cold.

2 Likes

If nobody beats me to it, I’ll set one up tonight.

5 Likes

Alright, I have made the sheet. English chapter titles are provisional (仮)until I actually read the book and know that they are correct. :stuck_out_tongue: If somebody who has read it has a better translation, feel free to replace them!

神さまがまちがえる Volume 1 Vocabulary Sheet - Google Sheets

11 Likes

Thanks a lot! Just one minor thing I noticed the がっこうのかいだん is referring to a staircase in school

4 Likes

Updated! I didn’t even flip through to chapter pages to avoid spoilers and just went with the first かいだん that came to mind (会談). :joy:

In retrospect, I guess 会合 would be better for assembly, since 会談 is more like a conference, anyhow.

3 Likes

The time has come we are starting this book club! I hope you guys are all excited.

9 Likes

I’ll probably not post too much for the first few weeks, but I’m reading along in the manga (and in the threads too). I’m currently in Japan, so I actually have a physical copy for once, and I’ll be reading mostly in cafes and public transportation. So none of my usual “trying to understand every sentence down to the last grammar point” and more of “I get the gist and I’m too lazy to pull out my smartphone and check those words in the dictionary”, haha. I think it’ll actually be interesting to see how much I’ll get without dictionary lookups.

Bonus picture of me reading manga in a cafe in Japan. I’m living the dream :smiley:

17 Likes

I am not jealous at all. Not at all.

Have a nice trip.

6 Likes

Hello,

I see the code for the poll, but I don’t see how to actually take it. What am I missing?? I’d vote for slow (knowing that my fellow readers from the last book read MUCH faster then me), I’ll assume most want middle or fast - so I’d be okay with middle. I probably can’t keep up with fast.

1 Like

So, is the link up for the next manga we’re reading too? Somehow I missed this went up at the beginning of Sept. What am I missing in navigating the beginning book clubs threads?

1 Like

The polls for the book schedule are already closed, so you won’t be able to take them. People did end up voting for the 8 week schedule though. If you go to the very top of the thread you can see the current reading schedule. Each week a new thread will be made for that weeks specific reading. They are usually linked in the schedule. For example if you go to the schedule week 1 is blue since it is now a link that you can click to get to the week 1 thread. Also, don’t worry about the schedule too much. Many people read at their own pace, so if it ever feels too fast for you it’s totally okay to slow down!

8 Likes

For the next book being read and to help vote/ nominate books you’ll want the main Beginner Book Club thread . This current thread is specific to 神さまがまちガえる. If you go to the very top of the thread it’ll have the information on the next book which is 月刊少女野崎くん (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun). Hope this helped!

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ve already bought the book :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

You’re certainly living the dream of many of us here lol, I hope to join you there one day :grin:

6 Likes

Mind if I change the topic title to “神さまがまちガえる Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)”? Because I’m finding the similarity to the actual BBC thread a little confusing - it’s basically the same words in a different order.

7 Likes

That has confused me a couple of times as well. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That is a good point! Go ahead

3 Likes

Hello everyone! This is my first time joining the book club, or in general participating in anything like this! I adore reading but my level is quite low. So, I look forward to struggling to understand everything knowing it will result in improvement!

I wanted to write a comment for 2 reasons, 1st is to simply say hello! and the 2nd is to get some confirmation on how the book club works. My understanding is as thus. Together by ourselves we manage our time, keeping in line with the timeframe written in the OP, reading along with the part of the story for the week. Any questions we might have we can, keeping in mind not to spoil anything, ask questions here in this thread. There is a vocabulary list which is the result of participants working together, and adding what they can, and using it when they want to in order to help their understanding of the text.

I often don’t even know when i have questions when I probably should have questions, but I’ll do my best to stay active and read along faithfully!

9 Likes

Welcome :blush:

Yup, that‘s exactly the idea!
(… at least that‘s how I‘ve been understanding and doing it too :crazy_face::sweat_smile::upside_down_face:)

You can also discuss about or comment on the story in general (up to the part being read - with spoilers, too, of course) without actually asking questions in that sense

And no-one will be mad at you or keep you accountable or anything if you fall behind on schedule - the vocabulary list and the discussions will stay online so you can always catch up and come back or finish a book on your own :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Unless you want to. :eyes:

4 Likes