確認 and 常に: wrong meaning accepted

For some while now I got trouble remembering the right meaning for 確認 (confirmation, verification) and 常に (always, almost always) because for each a wrong meaning gets accepted, too: certification and usually, respectively.
I checked with jisho.org to see if there was another meaning included that was omitted here but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
English isn’t my main language but as far as I know the correct meaning and what I wrongly type in still differs enough to be significant. So far I’ve “corrected” my answer with the double-check script but I’m afraid I’ll continue learning the wrong meaning. I only even noticed because I’ve got another script installed that displays all answers when there are multiple possibilities.

1 Like

WaniKani has a fuzzy spell-checker, which results in similar words being accepted if they are only a few letters different.

If the wrong word is easy to confuse with the correct word, the @mods can add the wrong word as a blacklisted word to the item. That means you can’t answer with that word even though it’s close in spelling.

You can make that kind of request anywhere, but some people have started using this thread for that purpose. Feel free to do whatever you prefer.

3 Likes

In English, unless more context is provided, “verification” and “certification” can be treated as synonyms, as can “almost always” and “usually.”

1 Like

In this case 常に is definitely “all the time” and “usually” has that “but not always” meaning kind of built into it. Some people might exaggeratedly use “always” in conversation even if they don’t mean it literally, but it’s worth distinguishing always and usually here.

EDIT: And just was chatting with a native about it, and they agreed that 常に is typically not used in that kind of exaggerated way where it can also mean “usually.” However, いつも might be used exaggeratedly, the same as “always”, where the reality is more like よく, but they say いつも because they’re excited or whatever. Just another data point.

9 Likes

I’ve now added “certification” to the block list for 確認. For 常に, “usually” is on the allow list so that’s why it’s being accepted.

1 Like

According to what Leebo said, this is not its meaning so maybe it might be helpful to take this to the team and have a chat about it?

1 Like

Ooh! I didn’t read through these comments actually so thanks for letting me know. I will share Leebo’s thoughts with the team and see if we’d like to keep “actually” as an answer here.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.