玉藻の恋 ・ Tamamo no Koi 🦊 Week 2

Week 2 June 22
Pages 13-20
Chapter 1
Next week Week 3
Previous Week Week 1
Home Thread 玉藻の恋 ・ Tamamo no Koi
Last frame of of this week's part (page 20)

firefox_2024-06-21 20.45.44.934

We’re reading this manga as part of the Absolute Beginner Book Club.

63b7a99b-b974-4dd8-bdf0-a3330bedaea7

Vocabulary Sheet

• Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.
  • Pages are physical page numbers (they are printed on some pages). Ebook reader pages might be off by a bit.

Grammar Sheet

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: text here (that’s: [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]).
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

The page numbers for ebook readers might be off by one or two. Some pages have physical page numbers on them, and you can use that to find out much off it is for you!

Participation Poll

• I’m reading along
  • I had already finished this part before the thread was posted
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
0 voters
8 Likes

Hello! Very excited to be moving on to week 2!!
I had a question about page 17…
What does (俺 家のカギ)締め忘れてた? I’m assuming 締める (meaning to be strict with)+忘れる (to forget) so would it literally translate to Did I forget to be diligent about my house key?!; i.e. Did I leave my house key lying around?!

Also, I’m presuming the use of ~じゃ by 玉藻 is a cute version of ~だ that I assume we’ll be seeing a lot

3 Likes

I think the non-standard way of talking is throwing me off a little but I’ll do my best to work with it!
On page 19:

わらわに尽くさせてくりゃれ

I was just wondering about the use of させる and then trying to decipher the conjugation at the end! I think the end is くれて…?
So up until now I’ve known させる to be the causative conjugation of a verb, so then it would mean “make someone do something” but after looking it up, it can seem to also mean “to allow someone to do something” (which I think is being used here) so I guess similar to 許す
So then to translate literally, I’ve come up with “Please allow me to work for you”

Also page 19:

早速ゆっくりさせてもーらお

Here, I presume the ending is もらおう (volitional form of もらう used in this case to ask a polite request), and させる combined with もらう is being used as “granted permission to do something” so to translate literally: “Allow me to relax right away”, so the vibe is “Please, go ahead/don’t let me get in your way, I’ll be relaxing over here”?

Thank you!!

3 Likes

To lend a hand to people who struggle to read the handwritten portions (excluding onomatopoeia), furigana is shown in brackets following kanji:

• Page 14, panel 2:
    ** もらったやつだけどあったかそうだし

• Page 17, panel 2:
    ** 聞いた(きいた)ことない名前(なまえ)… やっぱ知らない(しらない)人(ひと)…

• Page 19, panel 2:
    **主様(ぬしさま)…?お客様(おきゃくさま)ってこと?変(へん)な会社(かいしゃ)(and then what I presume to be a teardrop shape to represent a bead of sweat)

4 Likes

Thank you! Was struggling to figure out what the character after か is. When it’s handwritten like that, I don’t recognize the そ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
Page 17

Confusingly カギ isn’t just “key”, but can also be “lock”, and 鍵を締める is one way of writing “locking”. (I can only find Japanese sources for that, like e.g. this.)

So he is pondering whether he forgot to lock the door.

Right on both counts! It’s a speech quirk evoking an “elderly” feeling - like a grandfather. It seems to be a thing kitsune do :laughing:

Page 19

I think the latter part is the imperative of 呉りゃる - “to receive from another”. I assume the whole thing is an archaic way of essentially saying “Please let me serve you”.

させてもらう is literally “to make somebody allow you to do something” (it’s the ~てもらう from an article I linked in the last thread: 〜てあげる, 〜てくれる, and 〜てもらう). Less literally it seems to be the equivalent of “taking the liberty to do something”.

So essentially “I’ll be taking the liberty of relaxing now.”.

If I had to translate it to something more natural, I think I’d be going with “Thanks! I’ll take it easy then.”, although I am not sure if that’s exactly what it says :wink:

PS: Could you maybe pack things into [details] tags like my answers here instead of all the spoiler tags? That was a lot of clicking :wink:

6 Likes

Of course! Sorry, it’s my first time using the website, how do I do that?

1 Like

Oh, welcome to the forums then!

[details="Page 19"]
Your text here
And a second line
[/details]

becomes:

Page 19

Your text here
And a second line

And those can then be opened by clicking on them.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Already learning a lot! It took me a long time to work out how to get to these threads haha
Also, would I need to spoiler blur in the details section or could I just warn that the detail sections contain spoilers? Because it was tedious blurring them as much as I’m sure clearing all of them were haha!

2 Likes

No need to use spoiler tags or warnings in detail sections. Anybody who opens a detail section should expect to be spoiled for the current week.

3 Likes

Thank you for adding th the vocabulary spreadsheet and asking questions!
I’m done with this week’s reading and I have a bunch of questions… お世話になります~

Page 13

On the top right we can read 糸内 I assume it’s something written on the tree? I can’t figure out what the meaning could be.

Page 13

In the 2nd panel Tamamo says 「こぉお…ん」, am I correct to assume it’s just another variation of 「きゅぅうううん」and it’s just some cute animal sounds?

1 Like
Page 14

In the 2nd panel, the handwritten text says もらったやつ, it’s the first time I see this expression. I believe the meaning is “to bring home”. I see it’s a verb composed with もらう, but I don’t know what やつ is, or if it makes sense to try to decompose that expression at all.

Page 15

First panel, this is probably some grammar I forgot, but I don’t understand the particle も in 「ただいま」といって一人なんだけど。I feel like でも or が would have been the same, is there a subtlety I don’t get?

1 Like
Page 17

Third panel, Tamamo says 「先ほどはありがとう」. Is 先ほど a full expression to just say " earlier" ?

Page 18

First panel, Tamamo says 「うれしかったぞ」。I’ve heard ぞ a lot in anime but I haven’t been introduced to this particle yet, is it similar to よ ?

Page 18

First panel still, Haru thinks 「おばちゃんとこのタオル!」。What’s the meaning of とこ?
I feel like the sentence 「おばちゃんのタオル!」would have been just fine ^^;

1 Like
Page 13

It’s written on the shrine, and there’s a second kanji we can’t see (hidden by a speech bubble of all things, haha) - it’ll be visible in a later chapter. Together with that other kanji it’s 奉納 - offering.

きゅぅうううん is probably just a cute animal sound. こんこん is very specifically the “bark (of a fox)”.

Page 14

もらう is “to receive”. もらった is it’s past form. やつ means “thing” here.

Together it means here “the thing I received” - he’s talking about the towel that he got earlier from the woman and that he’s now giving away to the little fox to warm up.

Page 15

It’s ても - even if, even though.

He’s saying that “Even though I’m saying ‘I’m home’, I’m alone, so…”. Japanese likes to leave things open, but I’d imagine it’s probably followed by something like “…there’s little point to saying it.”

Page 17

Yes: 先ほど - Jisho.org

Page 18

It seems to be… but apparently usually associated with masculine characters, which really doesn’t fit Tamamo. Maybe it was more gender-neutral in older usage.

It’s another way to write ところ - “place”. So “The towel from auntie’s place!”

4 Likes

Waw thank you so much @TobiasW, it’s much more clear now :grin: :+1: :sparkles:

3 Likes

Thank you for this book club. I am learning a lot of new words.

Page 14

I did not understand this sentence, ぎんねんだけど俺のアパートベット禁止なんだ。
Also, I am not sure how Haru reaches the shrine when he was just talking to the woman.

4 Likes
Page 14

You have a couple of typos. Those might have tripped you up when looking up the words:
残念(ざんねん)だけど - It’s unfortunate but
俺のアパート - my apartment building
ペット禁止なんだ。- pets are forbidden (explanatory)

=> It’s unfortunate, but in my apartment building pets are forbidden (so I cannot take you in).

It’s not explained in the book itself, but I think it’s a trope of this genre. Something supernatural has happened, and as a reader we’re supposed to roll with it. This was foreshadowed by the strange weather: Rain and thunder on an otherwise clear day. Out main character seems to have been temporarily taken to another world, is my best guess.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! It’s clear now!

1 Like
Page 13

Last panel what’s the grammar point of the last の in 寝床だったの ? I would translate this as “perhaps it was your bed?”, or did I miss something?

2 Likes
Page13

It’s like using the question particle か, I think it makes it more casual.
sentence ending particle の - Grammar - Kanshudo

So your translation would be perfectly fine :smiling_face:

4 Likes