猫舌 aversion to hot foods

So I just came across this word and am curious as to its existence since we don’t have anything similar in english? Why is there such an expression? Doesn’t everyone have an aversion to hot foods if it’s hot enough? I’m assuming this only refers to temperature hot and not spicy. I type in aversion to hot foods and I get things mostly related to pregnancy.

3 Likes

My mom drinks hot drinks every day, but I basically never do because I just don’t find it pleasant. That’s the kind of aversion I think they’re talking about. It’s not that the drinks are “too hot for anyone to drink”.

4 Likes

But like that’s the same for me? My mum can drink hot tea like a champ but I prefer mine warm/less hot than what she has. The expression refers to hot foods anyway?

1 Like

Then you too are 猫舌.

It’s totally normal to use it to talk about hot drinks. That’s the context I hear it in most often.

5 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!

Ah ok, so drinks too. Yeah I was wondering when you would ever hear this in context lol. Usually you’d complement the people on being able to handle hotter foods, not call out those who can’t.

2 Likes

Well, I was kind of joking, but there are gradients I suppose. Like, I’ve turned down hot drinks in the staff room at school in Japan (horror of horrors) because I don’t even really like warm things either. Warm drinks aren’t unpleasant, I just don’t like them. I just figured it’s better to be honest with them or I’m going to be given hot drinks all the time.

If you wouldn’t go that far, then maybe Japanese people wouldn’t consider you 猫舌.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, you wouldn’t just try to cool it down until you can drink it? That’s what I usually do with hot teas and stuff. Or I just let it sit there and forget about it until it becomes near room temperature and drink it rofl.

2 Likes

That would be an option, sure. I guess add to the fact that I don’t really enjoy the flavor of the teas you most often see here, even when cold, and yeah… So I had no desire to drink it in any state, really. But 猫舌 sounds better than “your teas taste bad to me lol”

6 Likes

Ah I see, that truly would be seen as blasphemy. 猫舌 certainly sounds like a good cover up for that case.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.