狐笛のかなた (Koteki no Kanata) Home Thread

I did have a good time reading it fast, so that might be the case!

2 Likes

On to chapter 3!

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Last part of chapter 3!

2 Likes

By the way, what are we going to read after? Back to 獣の奏者?

1 Like

I need a break from this author, personally. Also, I think 獣の奏者 books 3 and 4 are too long for a book club. The first two books combined were 848 pages. The next two are 1072 pages. That’s a lot of weeks at the current pace! And if we read more per week I don’t think the read aloud sessions would work as well, which is most of the fun I think.

We’re open to suggestions though.

3 Likes

I can totally relate to that! After this book especially…

Regarding suggestions, by now I have improved my reading skills enough to be mostly able to read what really interests me, and I have a hunch that my interests don’t match this group‘s interests too well, so… :pensive:

2 Likes

Ah, fair enough. People didn’t vote for reading it as a group either.
I guess I’ll read volume 3 on my own, then :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not like you read 狐笛のかなた with the group… Just saying.

That’s fair. Personally I tend to like fantasy like this. I even liked this book in the end, even if the middle was slow and the story a bit simplistic.

Maybe we’ll find a book to read together again at some point. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I couldn’t :sob: I had the book for only two weeks, and then I forgot when things happened so I was afraid of spoiling people when posting in threads. I am mostly waiting for the post book discussion (but even then, things are getting a bit fuzzy in my memory). On the other hand, I do own 獣の奏者 3, so I could have followed an hypothetical reading schedule.

3 Likes

Oh, I see! If you join the read aloud sessions, you’d know exactly what to discuss in a given week since we’ll have just reread it. Though I guess you couldn’t really participate in the reading part itself since you don’t have a copy of the book available. :cry:

Yeah, that makes sense. Similar to Nicole, since I can read on my own at a faster pace now, I’m finding it harder to follow along week after week for several months. And like I mentioned, this would be 6+ months per book which is really long.

As I mentioned, I need a break. But I might be interested in reading the first 守り人 book at some point. Definitely not the whole series though, and probably not 鹿の王 since it’s four books. We’ll see.

In the meantime, I’m just going to try to get a read aloud session going for an upcoming intermediate or advanced book club pick if it’s one I’m interested in.

2 Likes

Ah, it’s not the fantasy setting that bothers me - it’s more it being so simplistic… (will save more comments for the after-book-discussion :grin:)

I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But maybe her other books are more like 獣の奏者!

It would be interesting to read some fantasy targeted at adults rather than young teens, but I wonder how painful that might be. :thinking:

1 Like

“Painful” + “fantasy” makes me think of Lord of the Rings :rofl:

I almost died during the intro, and I read it in GERMAN, mind you!

2 Likes

I, err, didn’t feel the book was more simplistic (or not) than 獣の奏者, though. In fact, I could pretty much use the “management needs you to find the difference between those two pictures books” meme.

3 Likes

I felt like 狐笛のかなた was almost a practice run for 獣の奏者. There are similarities for sure. I just felt like 獣の奏者 had more depth in terms of characters, story, and worldbuilding.

2 Likes

I feel like that’s just down to page count, though. With more pages, you can just scale the number of details (including the number of factions, give them additional goals/motivations, etc). It’s like looking at a more zoomed in (or zoomed out, depending on which book you take as reference) version of the same fractal :stuck_out_tongue: