涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱: Week 1 Discussion

What the heck?! How? I’ll take another look and see if my head can wrap around the stroke… But yeah, I knew it wasn’t いい… That didn’t make any sense for the flow.

Hmm… Thanks. :+1:

1 Like

It is a really weird と because of the little loop done to connect the strokes, I hadn’t seen it like that before either.

1 Like

Hmm… I just did it in the air… I can kind of get it… Hmm…

1 Like

@Naphthalene

There will also be a weekly reading aloud group on discord for this book starting the weekend of the 27th.

So far as I know this hasn’t actually been organized. If people want one, they should discuss it in the home thread and come to an agreement. Ideally it wouldn’t conflict with Konbini’s time in case people want to attend both (but if they have to overlap, so be it).

2 Likes

It wasn’t? I guess I misunderstood something then. Well, I’ll remove the announcement for now.

@seanblue too.

I made a poll over here: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club) - #140 by AnimeCanuck

2 Likes

I just finished reading this week’s part.
One thing in particular tripped me up, because it was a bit hard to look up:
シャクに障る
In particular because there’s a bazillion シャク coming up in my dictionary (tl;dr it’s 癪)

4 Likes

Ah, when nothing comes up for one word, I just search the whole phrase (癪に障る appears in jisho.org too).

Had the same thing with ケチのつき始め, the ケチ being completely unrelated to the “stingy” definitions that come up in the dictionary.

2 Likes

I do the same, but with google :stuck_out_tongue: It’s one step faster than going to jisho or another dictionary.

Fun fact, I knew that sentence from bumping into it over time, but never knew it was a different ケチ.

1 Like

@sigolino I wrote it a number of times on my sushi receipt last night. It’s legit - legit lazy! XD

@Naphthalene - just leave Jisho open?

1 Like

Well, I’m just starting reading now and I can tell I’m going to have a lot of questions! Hopefully it’ll get easier with practice :sweat_smile: The sentences are definitely longer than I’m used to and building an overall comprehension from all the pieces is challenging me.

4 Likes

In hindsight, I like google search better. Plus, opening a new tab is easier than looking for an old one.

1 Like

I think that’s largely because of your much higher Japanese ability. Reading an English definition is still much faster for me than googling or reading a Japanese only definition. I only use a Japanese only dictionary when I’m unsatisfied with the English approximation.

4 Likes

I do the exact opposite lol

2 Likes

You only use an English dictionary when you don’t understand the Japanese definition?

1 Like
Getting side-tracked by dictionary look ups

That might be true right now, but I started doing that at a much lower level of proficiency. I basically read an article on making J-J anki cards on Jalup about 8 (!!?) years ago. It recommended to make them from, obviously, J-J dictionary look ups. Then look up and make more cards out of the words you didn’t get in that definition, rince and repeat. It’s like that old meme: “Yo dawg, I heard you like dictionary look ups, so I put some dictionary look ups in your dictionary look ups during dictionary look ups”. That obviously took insane amount of times at first and I gave up for a while (I was a fresh N3 certified at the time). I only remembered about that website a few years later when I was stuck in limbo between N2 and N1, which was a much more successful time for making cards. Still, in the meantime, I did keep using J-J dictionaries and I feel it definitely helped with vocabulary.

is pretty much how I went about it.

4 Likes

I know AJATT is poison around here, but I read the same thing on his site maybe 10 years ago ^^

Yeah. I mostly use 大辞林, and if the explanation is too much, or if it turns out to be for, like, an animal, I look it up in J-E (or google image search). Seriously - trying to read a dictionary entry for a cat in any language is an exercise in futility.

2 Likes
More dictionary stuff

That would make me take even longer to read something though! Maybe some time in the next year I’ll feel like making that leap. As it is, the vast majority of the time I can’t understand a dictionary definition. I think I need a larger base vocabulary before I can use that method to learn vocabulary.

It is funny how the simplest things are often the hardest to define.

2 Likes

First week, and we already utterly derailed the discussion thread.

Sometimes I wish PM were still a thing

I don’t think it is. My impression was that some of the AJATT proponents on the forum were poison, but not all of them. Ncastaneda, for instance, is often bringing interesting insights from that method and related offshoots and no one is complaining about it. Of course, the problematic ones generated a lot more of heated discussion, so they were much more noticeable.

“The thing was shaped like itself”.

Back on track with this week’s discussion.
I know really nothing about the story, I just know what ハルヒ looks like from pop culture.

Based on the tone of this week’s reading and a bit of spoil from the color pages, it sounds like 超能力者うんぬん will actually happen? I actually like her speech and attitude, she’s all in to find super natural stuff :rofl:

4 Likes

ただの人間には興味ありません。

1 Like