Week 8

Start Date: Feb 29th
Last week: Week 7
Next week: Week 9

Reading:

End Page End % End Phrase Page Count
112 52% 俺は小さく笑った。 15

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Calling it now: He didn’t immediately react to them being at the door, recently put some deodorant and is currently changing the air of the room where he was. Also, he doesn’t want at all a teacher to be looking around. Obviously, he was smoking pot

Edit: still not seeing the strikeout in spoilers on mobile. Here’s to hoping others can.

5 Likes

Oof, I’m behind…I got sniped hard by Persona 5 Scramble and that basically made up all of my Japanese immersion for last week. I still have five pages to go :sob:

3 Likes

I read a few ‘weeks’ in a relatively short amount of time in order to finally catch up and I enjoyed it more. I don’t think it’s because is has changed much but because things seem to happen rather slowly so in a few weeks there is more happening.

I feel like this might be a pattern with light novels :thinking: (but haven’t really read nowhere near enough to really tell).

5 Likes

Woo congratulations! :slight_smile: やっぱり reading speed greatly influences the experience…

I don’t know why but for some reason I thought this was a regular novel rather than a light novel. The day I really understand the difference is yet to come.

3 Likes

It’s based on what label a book was published under. For instance, 氷菓 was published under the 角川スニーカー文庫 label, which is the kadokawa light novel label. So it’s a light novel.
Basically, the short answer is that “it’s a light novel because the editor said so”.

Edit: things are weird here because the series itself was eventually transferred to 角川文庫, so regular novel. So this one is probably right on the edge. According to Wikipedia, the transfer happened at the time of publication of the third book. Things got serious?

5 Likes

Getting caught up and I’m surprised to find I’m only one week behind!

The thing that tripped me up the most was インテリゲンチャ. Sometimes I find that Japanese has adopted some really random foreign words and I really want to know why he even knows this word.

2 Likes