殺人出産 🤰🔪 Book Club ・ Week 5

Things are finally heating up! The ending to this section, man. I’m so pumped to continue reading (not that I wasn’t before).

The Victims of 産み人

@AmomentOfMusic’s idea of the victims perhaps seeing themselves as martyrs is a fascinating take! I can definitely see people wanting to milk that, considering how hard the narrative is pushed by society. I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if that feeling started to dissipate the closer D-day approached. Still, with them being fully anesthetized, it’s not as horrific for their conscious selves as I thought. As for allowing those informed to kill themselves, for some people, that would still be satisfying in the sense that they still were able to exert their power over their victim. That’s what drove 育子 to want to kill her teacher; then she’d have power over him and what happened to his body. Especially if it’s the case that people are painted as martyrs for dying, it might be even more satisfying in some ways, because you know that you really got to your victim psychologically. Needless to say, pretty twisted.

I also don’t think there would be an age limit on victims, since the basic concept is all about the numbers themselves. However, I could see there being a taboo re: killing children.

The Toll on 産み人

Sounds familiar, honestly. :upside_down_face: There are a lot of people who prioritize what’s in the womb over the person who has the womb. This world only exacerbates that. It’s indeed a severe manipulation of a person’s feelings in order to carry out the “greater good” that the government sees fit, i.e. increasing the population. Meanwhile, they pump up the 産み人 by convincing them that they’re doing a service, similarly to how they try to pump up the victims. Both are seen as “good” and “necessary,” but in the end, they’re both victims of a system that says certain lives are worth more than others.

Yes, it was I who made that prediction regarding the sister’s victim. In all honesty, since the sister isn’t really guided in the same way by revenge like others are, the idea of her easily flipping who she wants to kill doesn’t seem so strange to me. It’s even possible that she never had a particular person in mind; she just wanted to kill a human for once. Her drawings indicated a fascination with little girls, so it’s possible that her fascination was rekindled when she met ミサキ.

The club’s already on week 7, so here’s hoping I can speed through week 6 so I can finally be on par with everybody else! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Honestly, that doesn’t sound as bad as I thought. Somehow I assumed they would still be conscious, just unable to feel the pain? But I guess there is no way to anaesthetise the entire body without also anaesthetising the mind, as it were. If they’re not conscious I guess the mutilation isn’t something to dread to the point that you’d kill yourself prematurely. Although, if you get that thing where the anaesthesia fails and only paralyses you, that would still be horrendous!

3 Likes

I am here now! I thought 育子 was gonna represent life and a character without the intent to murder but she definitely has that now having read that part of the story.

It’s interesting how basically this world is not creating more humans as much as it’s creating more murders (seems like a big theme outside of the “you think this world is crazy but maybe it’s not so different from your own” thing going on.)

I like how real everyone feels and reacts to things. Kind of reenforces how tribal humans are too. Like we adapt to the situations even if we might believe something different on paper. We saw that happen in the USSR and Nazi Germany. So it’s not unbelievable in the slightest.

1 Like