歩道 Additional meaning?

Shouldn’t ‘walkway’ be an accepted reading for 歩道?
Both JISHO and my dictionary give it as one of the primary meanings, but WK doesn’t seem to accept it.
Sorry if this isn’t the place or the form to mention it.

3 Likes

You can always add it as a user synonym. A lot of times, a word has a lot of potential synonyms that could be listed, but aren’t. However, if you add it as a user synonym, then it’ll be accepted in future reviews.

Editing to add how to do so, in case you aren’t sure:

Click the kanji you wish to add a synonym to, and under the “Meanings” area, there will be a spot that says User Synonyms. Click Add Synonym, and just type it in and add it!

3 Likes

I do know how to add user synonym, and I did, but with a word that has about 4 meanings that one seems like one that should be there :slight_smile: It’s not a rare or less obvious meaning as far as my knowledge of English goes.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s rare or less obvious, but I can say that any of the other meanings jump straight to mind first, as a native English speaker.

Personally, I wouldn’t really use “walkway,” unless I was referring specifically to a paved path in a garden, or a cordoned-off pedestrian area in a building/warehouse (might use it interchangeably with a catwalk, as well, but still more likely to use catwalk over walkway), whereas sidewalk is what I would use for the concrete paths beside roads, exclusively. I think “pavement” is more common in the UK for that, though.

Footpath conjures to mind an unpaved dirt path more than anything, so I wouldn’t even use it interchangeably (in English) with the other meanings, but that could just be a personal preference.

(Edit: Although, to be clear, I see no reason why it shouldn’t be added as a definition officially in the app; I was just rambling a bit.)

1 Like

I mean, yes? But here’s the thing. Every vocabulary word has potentially dozens of correct synonyms and they can’t really add them all to every word. So you have to compromise with two strategies: Remember exactly the meaning literally the way they teach you best you can AND ALSO, immediately add a synonym for the most common word you would use in your natural speaking to describe the vocabulary. That way if you can’t remember the word wanikani used, but you DO know what the thing is, chances are you’ll guess your synonym and get credit. Thing is, that synonym is going to be different for everyone, so it can’t be automated.

I don’t mean to be negative because you ARE correct. Just, they may or may not add it as an accepted answer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.