🧺 極主夫道 Volume 4 Week 2: Chapters 30-31

Week 2! Hope everyone’s weekend is going well!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’ve read ahead, but I’m here for discussion
  • I just like polls

0 voters

Main Thread
Vocabulary Sheet

Useful Resources

Kansai-ben:

Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

2 Likes

Pretty fun chapters, loved the animals in the petting zoo

So cute, the author has a knack for cute animals

1 Like

(whoops I fell pretty far behind)

Some questions:

I'm pretty confused about what's going on on pages 40-41

So it seems like they’re going back and forth basically like “you’re having fun” “i’m not having fun” (maybe not the exact translation? i’m not quite sure how to translate はしゃぐ) for a bit until tatsu’s outburst that he is having a good time. But then that’s where I get completely lost for the next couple pages. Specifically these lines:

• 何日も前から楽しみしとった!! → I was looking forward to this for days
  • 裏の社会におったんもあるけど...→ It;s also that I(?) was in the back of society (the shadows of society?)
  • 小さい頃からこういうテーマパークとは無緑やったんや → Since I was little, this kind of theme park… (and then I’m completely lost. what is 無緑? ungreen?)
And then a question about the word 味覚狩り

nothing shows up in Jisho, but it looks like taste + hunting? There is an entry in the Japanese dictionary but I’m unsure if I’m understanding it correctly

みかくがり [0]【味覚狩り】
旬の果物や野菜を,客が自分自身で収穫すること。また,そのようなサービス。果物狩り,野菜狩り,茸(きのこ)狩りの総称。→くだものがり【果物狩】・やさいがり【野菜狩】・きのこがり【茸狩】

So does it mean the gathering of seasonal fruits/vegetables?

Heyy, at least you’re catching up!

40-41

You misread the “ungreen” haha, it’s actually 無縁, which I think in this context means he was completely disconnected with the theme park world (since he was little) or something like that, I’m not sure I quite grasp the meaning of the word either, but I hope I could help a bit!

1 Like
40-41

ohh that makes a lot more sense! I even double checked to make sure it really was 緑 and not another kanji (緑 and 録 both used to be leeches for me b/c I always mixed them up for a while) but apparently I was so focused on the left side of the kanji I still misread it.

I’ve never seen the word 無縁 before but looking at the definition I think your interpretation makes sense. Thanks for the help!

1 Like
40-41

Yeah I hadn’t seen it before either, but I thought that’s what makes sense in the context. It’s hard to read when there are so many similar kanji honestly haha, with new words it gets tricky!

1 Like