Useful resources

Kansai-ben: kansaiben.com | Kansai-ben index,
Kansai-ben in 極主夫道, Osaka-ben transmogrifier
Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

3 Likes
pg 66

酉井 (the store employee (manager?)) says: わてにけじめつけぇ言うんか?
(or, not looking at furigana, わてに半額シールつけぇ言うんか)

First, わて seems to be a way of saying “I”, is this right? Or is there another meaning?

Second, Jisho lists two definitions for けじめをつける

1. to draw the line (between two situations); to make a clear distinction
  2. to take responsibility for (mistakes, etc.)

I was thinking it was the first meaning, but I feel like the second meaning makes sense too. Here’s my (possibly wrong) translations based on those meanings:

1. “Are you saying I should make it clear (half price vs full price)”
  2. “Are you saying I should take responsibility (for the half price?)”

Both seem like they could fit the situation, but けじめをつける is a new expression to me so I may be wrong. How did y’all interpret this?

2 Likes
Chapter 24

Seeing the store clerk showing up on the background to then quietly raise his hand while doing an anime glasses pose to help the policure was the funniest thing

3 Likes

I thought that she is working there as a (lowly) employee because she has to earn her own money now (which is part of the joke of this chapter, I think - she’s working as a supermarket assistant but still has underlings following her around :smile:).

Yes, I think it is (yet) another way of saying “I”.

I took it to be the ‘taking responsibility’ sense, but I didn’t even know about the other meaning and it could also fit, yes. However, I felt that her remark also had a tone of “are you ordering me to do this menial task”, so I think the ‘responsibility’ meaning fits better with that. (But maybe that’s just how I’m interpreting it.)

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t catch that she’s just a regular employee, I love that she still has underlings despite that :laughing:

That makes sense! Thanks for the help!!

1 Like