替わる as transitive?

The word 替わる, which is an intransitive verb, is used like this in the example sentence:

もしご迷惑でなければ、席を替わってもらえませんか?彼女と一緒なんですが、席が別々になってしまったんです。
Would you mind switching seats with me? I’m with her and our seats are separate.

Doesn’t the use of 席を make it a transitive verb?

The way I see it, if you’re asking someone to change seats, you’re asking them to move themselves over to another seat. That would make it inherently 自動詞. They’re not moving something else, it’s purely a self-move action.

2 Likes

I think I understand now.
Thanks!

1 Like

That doesn’t explain the を though. Maybe it’s just a mistake. I don’t think the other usages of を would fit here.

1 Like

Could it be a situation like with 部屋を出る? Because I’ve found other examples while searching around various sources of sentences using that 席を替わる pattern.

That’s the explanation I found as well, it’s the を + 自動詞 pattern used for movement verbs.

4 Likes

Also from ALC:

席を替わるを英語で

・該当件数 : 3

席を替わる の類語

類語 : 交代する

単語帳

単語帳

2 Likes

I’m used to seeing this when you’re moving through something like a park, so this feels weird.

3 Likes

I’ve been in a “stop trying to figure things out rationally” mentality for a while now, so I try not to think too hard about things like this.
:rofl:

6 Likes

I’m slowly getting to that point myself…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.