暁のヨナ 第1巻 | vol2 thread link posted

YAY! Glad you received your books, Nana.

On a completely unrelated note, I started watching the anime. It’s good listening practice, and I ripped the audio to listen to in the background while I study (I do this for other anime as well). So now I’m listening to the beginning over and over and it’s got me thinking…

Do you think Suwon ever considered just marrying into the throne? Instead of taking it by force? I was wondering if maybe Yona’s lie that she was going to marry Hak set things in motion for Suwon…But then later that night she tells him that actually she likes him instead so maybe not.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking about that the other day. Like he could have just asked the King for Yona’s hand in marriage and maybe he said no, so he killed him.

1 Like

Or what if Suwon was originally planning to do that…but then Yona tells him that she’s getting married to Hak. So Suwon thinks - Well Plan B then, let’s take it by force and he sets his plan in motion.

So by the time Yona tells Suwon that she likes him and not Hak, it’s a bit too late, he’s already got things going.

2 Likes

Mmmmm so do we need to take a break still? O: Is there anyone else who still doesn’t have their vol 2?

@NanaNanaNana Where did you order yours from? Mine came not as neatly packaged :cry:

Regarding Suwon, I think he knew Il wouldn’t let him marry Yona and didn’t want to use Yona anyway as part of his plan (I’m pretty sure he didn’t want her to find out about him killing her dad either). I believe he truly cares about her so he wouldn’t want to use her for political gain and wanted her to be happy. That’s why he was happy when she said there were marriage talks between her and Hak.

2 Likes

I ordered mine from a bookstore in Germany and they ordered it from Japan, so I didn’t have to deal with customs or anything.

I don’t know if anyone else doesn’t have it but Sakuchu mentioned she can’t make it if we don’t have a pause. I’ll also miss two weeks but can deal worst case.

1 Like

I am not sure if either one of you read the English version of the manga. I am not spoiling the story. But all your questions are answered in the chapters around 170-190 :slight_smile: (Currently we are at 206 and might get another 30-40 chapters before the manga ends.)

1 Like

I read a lot of the english one, but not all of it. :slight_smile: Can’t wait to actually find out things this time!

2 Likes

I also can’t really remember where I read up till since it has been some time, but I look forward to our questions being answered :D.

1 Like

Ah you really do not need to wait for me. :slight_smile:
At first I only voted for the 3 weeks options, because I didn’t mind taking a break and it was the date Nana wanted. So it’s not like I really wanted to take a break! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Recently I just overall got a little bit bored with reading Yona, since I already watched the anime multiple times + read the manga multiple times (both in english and german).
I might be more interested in reading some stuff I don’t know yet, instead of reading something I already read in 2 languages again in a third. But that is a thing for me to decide and shouldn’t really bother you.

Also I already own the german version of the manga up to volume 28 (that is the one they translated it up to right now) and I’m not sure I want to invest the money to buy ALL the volumes again when I already do own them. :sweat_smile:

So you can just continue on and I’ll spontaneously decide at the end of next week whether I might skip volume 2 or not. (I buy my japanese books in digital only, because I don’t want all the books at my home! I already don’t know where to put all the german yona mangas haha.)

2 Likes

Noooooooooooooo :joy:

Are you up to date on the story or just bored on re-reading or re-watching the earlier part of the story? I am sure you must have watched the OVAs, if not, I certainly recommend them. We have extra chapters in manga for the second OVA, not sure if we had manga chapters for the first OVA.

Whether you are a Soo Won stan or Yona/Hak stan, you won’t be disappointed :grin: (It was pretty fun reading wild fan theories when these chapters happened in real time. :joy: For current readers the timeline ran for almost an year from the start of the arc to the end. All of you will probably binge read it in 2 hours :stuck_out_tongue: )

All of this makes me want to go and re- read this weekend :grin:

Whelp I also can’t make it to today’s or next week’s read aloud sessions either :cry: I’d still prefer to continue right away tho and since Nana’s books arrived, most people in the poll preferred to start right away, and it seems like we’re not waiting on anyone else, let’s just continue right away. Gotta get a head start on those four years :eyes:

@sakuchu I totally understand getting tired of a series. That’s why I read multiple series at the same time so when I’m in the mood to read something, I’ll read it. I also understand not wanting to buy the same series all over again. You can use it as an opportunity to get better at Japanese since you already know the story so well. But it’s your choice (and money!) so do what’s best for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m up to date with the story and a bit bored with re-reading the earlier chapters. I really like yona, but the earlier chapters are super slow paced. I think it’s important for introducing all the characters properly, but due to there being not much action, re-read value is low in my opinion.
Also I re-read them a few months ago before we started the book. :smiley: (bad timing haha)

I’m not sure if I watched the OVAs or not, I think it’s mainly about Zeno’s back story which was in the manga? I also own a novel with extra stories in it. (Akatsuki no Yona: Under the Same Moon) Maybe some of this was covered in the OVA if it’s not from the manga?

@beari I think I’ll skip volume 2 and join in for volume 3 again. Do you know when you will be finished with vol 2? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first OVA is Kija’s backstory (the scar on his back) and the second is Zeno’s.

The side stories in “Under the same moon” are not adapted till date. I still remember the “O Dango no Oniisan” story about Soo Won not getting a manjuu (sweet bun) from King Il, who always gave it to Yona and Hak. That chapter makes me wistful.

1 Like

We’ll still be reading a chapter a week so we’ll be done after six weeks.

Also who else has the fanbook and novel? sakuchu you just said you had the novel, but does anyone else have it? I thought about making two unscheduled separate thread discussions if there were enough people who have it. If not, maybe in the future.

2 Likes

I do have the novel, but in german! :sweat_smile: Is there no english translation?
Also I think for me the difficulty would be too hard to read it in japanese.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s out in English. I have it in Japanese and I tried to read it but the first sentence is way too hard so I gave up LOL

1 Like

Volume 2 thread is up

I’m going to start volume 1 now. @beari If I have any questions do I post them here or in the current volume thread (3)?

2 Likes

Hello! Yes any questions about a particular volume should go to that volume’s thread so your volume 1 questions should go here :blush:

1 Like

Sure :slight_smile: