時をかける少女: Week 2 Discussion (Chapter 2)

I am currently backfilling with words I looked up earlier, because I know the vocab sheets have been found useful in the past. But if it turns out to be just me, I may give it away…

3 Likes

I said I’m not using it now, but will hopefully be able to after next week when Xmas vacay starts. Just trying to keep up with the reading as I finish out end of the year stuff for work and school and whatnot.

3 Likes

I just read it for chapter 2 last night, I appreciate it! I can try to stop being lazy and add words too

4 Likes

I’ve so far just read through the first 2 chapters really quickly using the Kindle Dictionary to look up words, but now that you’ve reminded me the vocab list exists I’ll probably use it on my second read-through and add words to it then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I mis-clicked but I’m not either. Just using FloFlo.

You can recast your vote if you hide the results :blush:

3 Likes

It’s all good, I am happy to keep adding to it if it helps even one other person. :+1:

4 Likes

That was a fun chapter, and it feels like it’s getting easier to read with the story’s established premise, now. I wanted to get your guys’ opinion on how you’d read this bit of dialogue.

「へえ!そんなことがあったのか!」

I kinda suck with dialogue + nuance, so I want to get better at understanding these types of things. Would そんなこと be referring to the event that took place before she fainted? Or would it be referring to the shadow she saw? I lean towards the latter because before that she mentions the 人影. It kinda sounds like “That thing/event that was there - what WAS that?!” but I’m not sure.

1 Like

I definitely think the latter. But I interpreted it more as “that kind of thing happened?!” or “something like that happened?!”

4 Likes

Both? But it’s more “What? That happened??”

ことがある is like, “(whatever is modifying こと) has happened/has been the case.”

So he’s not asking what it could have been, he’s just expressing surprise that what she said happened, happened.

4 Likes

Like others have said, it literally translates to, “Oh, something like that happened!?” and is referring to the あやしい人影のこと since that’s what she just 話した-ed to them about.

It’s a pretty standard response to someone telling you something (often them explaining a circumstance) and generally refers to either the last thing they said (if it was particularly of note) or to the story as a whole if you say it at the end of their story.

It is often used even when the story is not as shocking as the one in this case, where it would be more equivalent to something like, “Ah, I see” in English.

3 Likes

Thanks guys! It makes sense now.

I live on the vocab list…

4 Likes

There’s even more than one of them:

bild

Also, unrelated to that, I’ve read the chapter now, so my thoughts on it:

This chapter felt a more interesting than the first for some reason. Now I want to know what happened to the stuff! Also, is it just me or is amenia more common(or at least mentioned more often) in japanese media? I feel like I see it mentioned every now and then in Japanese stuff, but not much otherwise

1 Like

Yeah this chapter was definitely more interesting than the first chapter.

1 Like

It’s kinda like how Japanese people talk about colds incessantly, and with some superstition. It’s raining? Cold! Sitting on the floor? You’ll catch a cold! Wet for two seconds? You’ll catch a cold!

Fell down? Anemia!

also you’d have to be pretty anemic to faint, and for that long, and ‘rest’ is not the solution to anemia. Granted this was written in the 60s though.

12 Likes

風邪をひく must be at least on the top 10 common expressions :joy:

3 Likes

Also the old standard: any disease at all? Cough up blood!

5 Likes

Disease, hit to anywhere on your body…

That’s some severe internal bleeding sir you should get to a hospital

2 Likes

stubs pinky toe

coughs up blood

7 Likes