時をかける少女: Week 2 Discussion (Chapter 2)

と is frequently used to connect two clauses that occur at nearly the same time, one after the other. If it helps, my j-j dictionary defines this usage like this: 二つの動作・作用がほとんど同時に、または継起的に起こる意を表す。…と同時。…とすぐ。

なんて just means “such a thing” or something along these lines. The speaker of this sentence just wants to emphasize that cleaning such a large classroom with just 3 people (such a thing), むちゃだよ。

4 Likes

Ohhh, that’s neat. Thank you. Special thanks for monolingual~ I find it easier to understand having the Japanese explanation too

Thanks~ I appreciate it

1 Like

They let you get into the meat of things :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, just to clarify: so this sentence is essentially “they didn’t escape from this door either”?

And to drag this back up again because all this まま business is fairly new to me…

We’ve got 机の上に … ふたをとったままおかれている … 三つの薬びん

So three medicine bottles on the desk.

These medicine bottles have caps “left in a state of having been removed”? (to give a very literal translation)
Where とる is ‘to remove’ and おかれる is… the passive conjugation of おく? Meaning ‘to leave behind’?

So then, is the following 三つの薬びん … のうちの一つ bit meaning that ‘from those three’ she picked one up?

My mind just melted :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I think your interpretation is really accurate, nothing I could add there.

1 Like

Try maybe this : https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-ようがない-you-ga-nai/

1 Like

:sob: :purple_heart:

@QuackingShoe oh my I love your username Thank you! I think I got it. I started to write out a question asking for clarification and in the process sort of worked my way through the logic. New piece of grammar for me!

I have a couple of questions that I actually came up with myself!

Page 13 Tsubasa Bunko ed.

甘いにおいが急に強く彼女の嗅覚をおそい、彼女はよろめいた。

I’m confused by 強く, I think, and おそい. So the second clause is just she staggered. Fine. But I don’t understand what おそい means here, nor how to parse the sentence.

It feels like it’s going to say “the sweet smell suddenly grew stronger”, but then instead 強くい seems to be modifying 彼女 / 彼女の嗅覚 (をおそい?). Is 嗅覚をおそい perhaps meaning something like ‘to smell’, making it more like "suddenly inhaling the sweet smell strongly, she staggered"?

Same page, bit further on

五朗が大声でガラガラと教室のとびらを開きながらはいってきた。

This sentence comes immediately after his shout to Kazuko.

We’ve got 教室のとびらを開き - opening the classroom door - ながら - whilst - はいってきた - came into / entered into.

From the definitions of ガラガラ I’m guessing he opens the door ‘with a rattle’ rather than it referring to his voice.

But then the 大声 part is surely referring to his yell rather than the noise of the door. I was expecting the sentence to then say something like “he yelled with a loud voice whilst rattling the door open”, but there’s no specific verb relating to his yelling. So is it basically just “with a loud voice he rattled open the door (and came in)”?

now that I’ve written all this out it seems pretty silly to ask…! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You’re parsing the sentence well, you just need to fill in the gaps of what you don’t understand.

The hiragana is probably confusing you. The word is 襲う (to attack), which ends up being おそい to connect to the next sentence. That pattern has been used a lot already in this novel, I think, and it’s a common way to connect sentences while writing.

Knowing that the right word is 襲う hopefully helps you understand 強く too. Translating it literally, the sweet smell suddenly strongly attacked her sense of smell.

That is right. It refers to his yell, which just occurred. Remember Japanese usually doesn’t need to have everything in the sentence like English, what’s deemed obvious is commonly left out (sometimes not that obvious though :sweat_smile: poor learners).

7 Likes

Aaaah, I see. I’m happy with the pattern used to connect the parts of the sentence (agreed that it has come up a lot already), but you’re right that the hiragana/conjugation is what threw me off here. I’m finding it much harder to think what the verbs are when they’re missing any kanji to give me clue (like とったままおかれて from the sentence about caps would have taken way less time to work out if even one of those two verbs had provided me some kanji!).

This makes so much sense now, thank you. I’m glad I picked up on 強く to know that there was a question to be asked, and to at least guess what the form of the solution should be!

Sweet, thank you! The sentence just didn’t go where I expected :grin:

7 Likes

Finally got around to reading the chapter just now! Had a busy weekend. Not bad. It’s interesting how many little verbs for little, physical actions I actually don’t know, I guess because there’s not much reason for them to come up in conversation.

2 Likes

Kadokawa Page 17
いちど母にラベンダーのにおいのする香水をかがしてもらったことがあるんです。
Can someone please help me with かがして? Perhaps I’m parsing this incorrectly but I can’t find かがす, かがする, or かがして anywhere :man_shrugging:

Someone else asked this a while ago, and our kind @Naphthalene さん answered :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I even read that post earlier but it didn’t register :tired_face: My apologies

I might just revive one of my questions from the start that got lost because I asked too many in one go (lesson learnt)
Kadokawa Page 12:

4 Likes

Hey, no problem. It’s a long thread, after all.

I did some research, and I think ように思う has a similar meaning to ような気がする, that is, she kind of feels like she has smelled that smell before. Or more literally, She has a feeling that the smell is vaguely in her memory.

Edit: I finally found a (I think) reliable source. It’s in the first row of the table:

5 Likes

I’ve done this at least three times in the Aria Book Club :grin:

I found it a little odd at first too, but I think it’s emphasising the uncertainty. I eventually settled on: “it felt like she thought she dimly remembered…”

I’m not totally certain that: “she thought it felt like she dimly remembered…” wouldn’t be more appropriate though (it certainly sounds more sensible in English!), so if anyone else cares to chime in…? Edit: dangit, beaten to the punch!

3 Likes

:open_mouth: It never occurred to me there might be a Japanese thesaurus! That’ll be super helpful for the future

Thank you!~ That helps a bunch

Yay! That’s chapter 2 down~ Thanks everyone for all your help!~~ :heart:

6 Likes

Three more pages to go for me! I’m super looking forward to reading them, haha :blush:

I’m also pleasantly surprised with how well I’m managing this seven-page chapter, given that it’s only two pages less than we’ll be tackling the first week we ramp up to two chapters (and I had a little catching up to do). Maybe I can actually do this :exploding_head:

9 Likes

いっしょにがんばりましょう!I honestly thought the same, I thought I’d need to read and look things up for the whole week, and it would take up most of my time but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Hopefully I can deal with the speed up

5 Likes

I felt it’s kind of exponential really. The first few pages take ages to get through, but I had reached an acceptable pace sooner than expected.

1 Like

Especially as you learn the style and the common words. Like ぼんやり, and, at least for me, ように, ような, らしい

3 Likes