時をかける少女: Week 1 Discussion (Chapter 1)

I think these are two separate things.
The ドア is a regular door.
The ついたて is a freestanding item, maybe like this:

Perhaps - it leapt into the space on the far side of the screen, which was in front of the door which led to the corridor.

4 Likes

So it went behind the screen, and presumably through the door?

Well, at least, that person probably had that intent :wink:

They crashed into it?~ is that what 飛び込む implies?

From the following text, no. The figure lept behind the side of the partition opposite Kazuko, then stopped for a bit. When she called out, the figure tries the door, but she said it was locked and they stopped again.

No, thy just dove behind the partition. Not through it or crashing into it or anything. ついたての向こう側 means the opposite side of the partition (where Kazuko can’t see), and that’s where the shadow jumped.

4 Likes

Ahh, so it does. Thanks

I’m going to break it down to help me :smile: and clear up confusion
Kadokawa Page 10:
黒い影が薬品だなのうしろからパッととびだして、廊下へ出るドアの手前の、ついたての向こう側へとびこんだのである。
黒い影 - black shadow
薬品だな - vial shelf/rack
うしろから - from behind
パッ - 急に行うようす
とびだす - to jump out
廊下へ出るドア - door that leads to the corridor
手前 - in front of
ついたて - partitioning screen
廊下へ出るドアの手前のついたて - partitioning screen that is in front of the door leading to the corridor
向こう側 - opposite side
とびこむ - to jump into
のである - explanatory の and である

Makes sense now!

2 Likes

The only thing I’d add to that is 手前 is more like “in front of” here. It’s less a vague “on the side of the room with the door” and rather the more specific “in front of the door.” Relevant to the story, it’s actually obstructing vision of the door.

1 Like

I’ll change it. Thanks!~

@QuackingShoe already explained, but what I meant was

I just didn’t want to spoil stuff…
Speaking of which, we aren’t doing too well on hiding spoilers :eyes:

2 Likes

I know, I just wanted to make sure they understood.

I figured we’d be more concerned with spoilers when we stop reading the stuff that’s on the dusk jacket heheh. But if not, sorry.

1 Like

Well, it was mentioned several sentence before that the teacher locked the other door, so that isn’t much of a spoiler :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t really think it’s an issue.
But the law is the law.

Is saying that it’s a major event a spoiler in itself?

Because a major event may not happen in each chapter? I don’t know. Last time it basically read “use common sense” but everyone has a different interpretation of what common sense is for spoilers. Of course, everyone also has a different interpretation of what major is…

Ah, I was referring to the fact that we were discussing the door thing without spoiler tags (except for @twktg, who has a point too).
I was pondering if telling people to use spoiler tags for it was a spoiler, as it implies that (I think) it’s major :slight_smile:
(But yeah, it’s debatable anyway)

Yeah, given what I know from just this chapter, I wouldn’t have put it in spoilers personally. :man_shrugging:

I mean, I have only read this chapter, but it’s the only thing that happens, so… :confused:

2 Likes

I finally managed to find some time to read this. It’s only half way through the week, but because this thread has been so active, I feel really behind :joy:

It’s pretty cool though, because I thought I understood the chapter. Then I read this whole thread and now I really understand it. (Or do I?)

5 Likes

Saame, haha! I keep looking at the reply count and panicking ^^ it’s cool that we have so many people actively taking part though :blush:

8 Likes

My book is finally out for delivery \o/
I really hope I’m able to catch up lol

4 Likes