日本のカレーはおいしいです。 — Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

WaniKani Quiz Time🤓 This one’s perfect for newbies!

日本のカレーはおいしいです。— Can you figure out this sentence? I’ll give you some hints (and the answer, eventually).

Vocab:

日本 LV. 2: Japan. Do you remember the mnemonic “sun origin”? The Japanese flag is based on the sun as well :jp:

カレー: Curry🍛 It’s pronounced as カ"レ"ー(kar"ee"), not カ"リ" ー (kar"ii")in Japanese.

おいしい: Delicious.

Let’s break it down!

日本のカレー

Japanese curry.
With the の, 日本 becomes the possessive form. So think of 日本の as “Japan’s.” If it was コウイチの, it would have been “Koichi’s.”

______ は、●●●です。

This is the Japanese way of saying “______ is ●●●.”
Make sure to read this は as “wa” instead of “ha” because it’s the particle.
For this case,
日本のカレー = ______
おいしい= ●●●

おいしい

Delicious.

The answer:

にほんのカレーはおいしいです。
Japanese curry is delicious.

Do you agree that Japanese curry is delicious🍛?

Japan has developed its own style of curry (and it’s a very common home dish as well).

Fun Fact: the Crabigator’s (and Tofugu’s) absolute favorite curry chain in Japan is “Coco壱番屋.”

22 Likes

Is… is the Crabigator actually Michael!?

It’s… not bad. I confess I’m not sure I’d go all the way to “delicious”.

6 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I much prefer Indian or Thai curry over Japanese curry.

3 Likes

Never had any curry, although I hope I get the chance soon. Japanese curry is one of the few foods you eat with a spoon, even in Japan, is it not?

Haha, yeah.

Although, I confess, I don’t much care for Japanese food of any variety. If I’m going East for dinner, I’d prefer Chinese.

Japan’s curry is delicious… right?

食べたことがあるし、美味しかったと思った。

7 Likes

The secret to good curry is what you put in it. My favorite secret ingredients (in order of most favorite first):

Nam prik pao - Thai soybean chili paste. I learned this from a Thai roommate who put it in his Japanese curry. Phenomenal. Also, even though it is chili paste, it’s not spicy.

Spicy Italian sausage - If you’re ever in Furano, there is a curry brewpub called Yuiga Doxon. I discovered this combination there. Fantastic! Usually whatever you throw in curry just ends up tasting like curry, but the uncut sausages keep their flavor. You get both the flavor of the sausage and the curry. Yum!

Fresh ginger slices - It compliments the curry well.

Omelette - A classic combination in Japan.

Grated cheese - Another classic combination. I just had this the other day.

3 Likes

2 Likes

この文章は簡単すぎるんですよ(僕には)。でも日本のカレーはほんまに美味しいと思います。大好きです。いつも食べすぎます。

I love Japanese curry and I always eat too much.

I can only tell you that Michael worships the Cravigator a lot :pray::curry:

3 Likes

I have never eaten curry before. Let alone Japanese curry.

This topic makes me want to go to Cocoichi. Maybe I’ll try that seasonal dish with all the extra spices they’ve been advertising.

I like Japanese curry ok, but it’s quite near the bottom of my favourite Japanese foods list.

I always eat curry (Sri Lankan), but I love Japanese curry! There’s a restaurant in Narita airport which I really like. I also bring the Daiso curry packs to take home since they are pretty good, but my food standards are not very high :stuck_out_tongue:

My wife makes a really good Japanese curry.
Thai and Indian curry are great, too.
I don’t think I’ve had any other varieties.

1 Like

I’ve made curry myself in a Japanese style, not sure if it taste like actual Japanese curry but it’s pretty good! My sister and I make it from scratch and it’s so sweet and the pork is always so soft and tender and the rice is so chewy, it just melts in your mouth, aaah~ such a steamy bite of love.
It’s one of my favorite dishes, I actually quite like Japanese food namely onigiri, takoyaki, okonomiyaka and Katsudon. Ahh katsudon. Maybe you guys should try my curry I bet you’ll change your opinion hehe

I’ve tried Indian curry, didn’t like it much. It was a little to spicy and bitter. Maybe it was just that one place.

1 Like

They have so many different kinds, you’re almost certain to find at least one that you’ll like.

Yours sounds good. What is the source of sweetness in yours?

1 Like

I can buy Japanese curry roux blocks from the supermarkets here, so it’s not too hard to get the “authentic” taste. It’s just… kinda not really all that exciting.