Chapters 13 & 14

Pages 123 - 136

Start Date: 12th June
Last Week: Chapters 11 - 12
Next Week: Chapters 15 - 16

Nichijou 1

日常 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

2 Likes

Poor Nano being used to make a sweet roll and not being allowed to eat it in such heartless manner.

If we examine such situations through the prism of body autonomy, Hakase becomes a villain.
That if we assume sentient androids have a right to body autonomy. Chapter 13 is a goldmine for overanalyzing

4 Likes

Chapter 13 was a piece of a cake (pun intended). Nano and Hakase might be my favorites, they are so kawaii.

Some of the things Sasahara said in Chapter 14 didn’t make sense. Went ahead and watched that scene in the anime (beginning of episode 4). Then I realized that it didn’t mean to make any sense. :smiley:

Still have a couple of questions:

p132

嘶きおってな

I thought this should be masu form of 嘶く and おく, but I was mostly seeing おく connected as ておく.
Does this have the same meaning, or maybe Sasahara’s old-mannered speaking?

p136

ぬかしおる
Looks like this saying became a meme after Nichijou.
Found this page for explanation:

ぬかしおるとは (ヌカシオルとは) [単語記事] - ニコニコ大百科

「ぬかしおる」とは、「(主に目下の人に向かって)似合わないことを言った」「言うべきでないことを語った」「よく言うな」「生意気な事を語った」などを意味する古語である。
その成り立ちは「ぬかす」+「おる」からできており、「ぬかす」は「言う」、「おる」は「~いる」を意味する。

My take is Sasahara is using it as a sarcastic way of saying “well said!”. Am I too off? :smiley: What everyone else thinks?

4 Likes

Regarding your first point:

p132

嘶きおってな

Careful, the て-Form of -て おく is -ておいて. The correct form here is -て おる.
I am not quite certain, but I think this is the more humble / polite form of -て いる.

I think Sasahara is referring to his belly suddenly roaring, therefore having to eat.

Apreciation for your second point:

p136

Thank you for your interesting lookup on the issue!
Google would just translate it to “I’m sorry” but your article makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

I have a question myself for Chapter 14:

p135

This one is for the two middle picutres. Sasahara says here:
日々私達が過ごしている日常というのは、
実は奇跡の連続なのかもしれない、
いわばそういうものかもしれないな。
(Each Comma seperates one speech bubble)

I tried to make sense of them seperately, but when putting them together into google translate I got something more fitting out of it:

The regular life we are living every day, may actually be a series of miracles, so to speak.
(slightly edited, commas again separating the bubbles).

The way it is makes sense to me, but I would like your opinions as well, as I am not feeling too confident here ^^

That looks pretty good to me too!

1 Like

Ch. 13: E2 7:25
Ch. 14: E4 0:00 (continued after OP)

2 Likes