日常 | Week 4 Discussion 🦌

I know ず and ぬ are both archaic negative forms, but I’ve never heard/can’t find anything that says ず is a conjugation of ぬ? From what I’ve seen ず seems to be very common in books as the negative counterpart to verb stem conjunctive form, or as a formal replacement for ないで (without doing). And like you said using ぬ is a way to emphasize old-fashionedness, the way we might throw “thou” into an English sentence.

Also, I see ん replacing ない all the time in casual speech. Does this really specifically come from the ぬ form? I thought it was more a contraction of ない.

1 Like

It’s kinda complicated, but they’re the same verb (also if you’ve seen stuff like 〜ざる, that’s also the basically the same verb). you can probably argue about what’s a conjugation of what exactly, but ぬ came first.

here’s a the simple version

and more in depth (if you understand everything here please explain it to me :sweat:):
https://www.imabi.net/zuii.htm

it’s actually the same ん in 〜ません

it’s etymologically interesting but ultimately it doesn’t make any difference…

1 Like

Hahaha he’s given me multiple new grammar points to add to my SRS!

1 Like

Definitely some cool reads! 〜ざる is one of those grammar points that I learned ages ago and have yet to come across once (although Imabi calls it common :joy:). Diving into the etymology here might be pretty interesting and finally tie this seemingly unreasonable number of old negative forms together.

1 Like

I think it’s referring to classical texts rather than moden japanese (this is under the classical japanese heading)

And for a Japanese source:

https://www.kokugobunpou.com/助動詞/ない-ぬ-ん/

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification! It completely makes sense thinking of 笹原’s character. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did it! It was really cute too :two_hearts:

More K-On! stuff

I will watch season 2 once I have more time, and I 100% blame you two :laughing:
@ChristopherFritz @harundoom

I hope you enjoy it! I read the translation years ago and remember liking it a lot.

3 Likes