日常 | Week 10 Discussion 🦌

The dear scene is an absolute classic. The poetic aspect to it and Yuuko’s complete inability to express what she is seeing kill me every time. Honorable mention to just about any scene with はかせ and なの.

I have to say I don’t think that this manga was great from a language learning perspective. The lack of context for any of the humor makes it difficult to decipher and makes you question your interpretations even if you think you understand every word and grammar point. Additionally the dialogue is often choppy, dramatic, or unnatural so it’s difficult to pick up any sort of conversational flow. I’d recommend Nichijou to anyone looking for a good comedy manga, but probably not to anybody whose main purpose in reading is language study. I certainly would never recommend it as a starting point for reading native material. I’d be happy to hear alternate opinions though!

I also think the low quality of the ebook version hurt my enjoyment a bit. I love the art style so it was painful to have to look at all these great drawings as if they were jpegs that have been re-saved and re-uploaded 100 times. I would definitely recommend the physical edition instead.

If we did an offshoot club I might have to pass not because of any lack of enjoyment of the material, but because I’m already a bit overloaded with reading and I a.) currently am not buying physical copies of manga (it gets expensive and takes up so much space!) and b.) currently prefer reading things that I’m not familiar with, and virtually every manga chapter through volume 6 has been covered by the anime. I might try to catch up sometime down the road or jump in for later volumes though!

Also I would really love to read City! I may nominate it sometime down the line for the BBC if somebody doesn’t beat me to it.

Finally, congratulations to anyone who read this as their first manga! It’s a huge achievement, and getting through that first volume opens the doors to so much more. It says a lot about your perseverance that you were able to get through it (and hopefully enjoy it!) despite its difficulty.

9 Likes