日常 | Week 1 Discussion 🦌

Sorry, I meant than. My bad. That actually sounds like a good idea: doing reviews first, then doing book reading afterwards. As for the SRS, either go fast and burn out, or go slow and lose interest, those have been the biggest problems that I have had so far with wanikani. Maybe reading along with this book club will help with it? Time will tell.

Edit: added a quote.

1 Like

Daily reading definitely makes it easier for me to go at my slow-and-steady pace!

(But I’m also helped by having done iKnow’s core 2,000 deck before I started reading. Granted, I probably forgot over 1,200 of them over those few years of going through the deck. And at best I learned maybe three kanji along the way. This is why I advocate joining the book clubs and reading early!)

My guess is all those objects were originally in Shinonome’s school bag.

2 Likes

Good observation. Maybe I should actually look at the pictures more closely from now on :confused:

It is a lot of information to take in, starting out.

1 Like

hi!
in the first page, is 忘れてた short for 忘れていた?

2 Likes

Yup! Shortening ていた to てた is common in spoken Japanese, so you see it all the time in Manga. Same with ている to てる.

5 Likes

Hi all. I’ve just started chapter 1 and this is my first book club, so I was wondering what the best way to read things like this is.

My plan is to read through once with no assistance and try to piece together as much as I can, then read through again using the vocab list/other resources to check the stuff I’m not sure about. Is this a good way of doing things or are there better methods for improving reading comprehension?

2 Likes

this is how I used to do things, and I think it’s a good approach. I only stopped for manga because I don’t feel like I need to anymore…

2 Likes

Nice, thanks. A couple of pages in and I’m starting to realise this is gonna take longer than I thought…

3 Likes

If this is your first time reading native material, it’s normal to take even longer than that.

It may be comforting to know that 日常 leans toward the more difficult side due to the surreal nature of the material, and therefor taking longer is extra expected. It’s perfectly normal.

Should you find the pace is too fast to keep up, you may want to also check out the Absolute Beginner Book Club, which typically goes through easier material at a slower pace.

2 Likes

Yeah, from what I’ve read so far, there’s a fair amount that’s hard to work out from context alone. The katakana greeting bit is a good example. Not totally sure what’s going on, but the 2nd read through with the vocab list should clear it up a bit.

I’ll see if I can catch up/keep up for now, and maybe have a look at the absolute beginner if I struggle. Ty!

2 Likes

Alright, better late than never. :sweat_smile:

Nice first chapter, a lot simpler than I thought it would be, based on all the kanji and innate weirdness of 日常. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to everyone who worked on the spreadsheet so I didn’t have to look anything up by myself. :smirk:

5 Likes

I’ve decided to see if I can get through this whole volume before the next beginner book club starts in a few weeks. Having seen the anime a few times is definitely helping me understand what’s happening. I just have one small question for this chapter: I thought I had gotten pretty okay at deciphering Japanese fonts, but I can’t tell what the second to last kana on page 14 is, where Mio’s saying バカや_う. It looks kind of like れ or ね, but that doesn’t quite make sense in context (ろ/ロ would make the most sense in context, but it doesn’t look like that at all).

Edit: Okay, I now see it again almost immediately in chapter 2, where it’s really clear that it’s ロ, which just makes me ??? How is that supposed to look like ロ?

1 Like

Yeah, this is one of the pain points of reading manga in particular, some of the handwritten stuff can be ridiculous… and if you think handwritten かたかな is hard, wait till you see some of the kanji stuff…

3 Likes