新 Monthly Progress Challenge

#PROGRESS POST #6

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 28
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 32

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:

1. KaniWani: the site’s update was a godsend. I am no longer drowning in reviews and I no longer dread having to do them. I switched it so that I only get new items once I burn them on WK, so the workload will be much more manageable from now on.
  2. Bunpro: I’ve struggled the most with this/my grammar studies in general this past month. A lot of unforeseen happenings threw off my (non-WK) review groove for a while; this, along with the site’s announcement of a subscription-based system has led me to start weaning the site from my daily/weekly regimen.
  3. Intermediate Textbook: As mentioned above, I didn’t really progress in my grammar studies very much if at all. So I’m slowly trying to get back onto the horse.
  4. Udemy N3: Well, I started the Udemy N3 course…as in I did the first lesson of it.
  5. Memrise: Again, fell off the horse pretty badly this month, so I didn’t achieve my goal here either. But I’m well on my way to finishing the N4 course.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

1. KaniWani: Keep up with my reviews.
  2. As a replacement to Bunpro in my study routine, I am re-adding Anki to the mix. A little bit of experimenting with different decks and formats has made the program very useable. I currently have it set to add 50 new cards each to a 10K vocab/listening deck and a Tobira vocab deck daily. I’ve been keeping good pace so far (plus adding a few extra cards to the deck when I’m able), so I should be on pace to finish the Tobira deck by the end of May, which would be awesome. The 10K deck…is gonna take a little bit longer than that.
  3. Intermediate Textbook: Actually make progress in this textbook. I also need to make its vocab into an Anki deck and start reviewing it as soon as possible. I have a lot of free time this month, so I should be able to at least start that task.
  4. Udemy N3: Do at least one lesson per week (~get to lesson 5 by my next update).
  5. Memrise: I’ll definitely finish the N4 course (hopefully within the next week here), but I’m not sure if I’ll continue with the N3 vocab course. I’m definitely dropping the Tobira course, since I found its Anki deck equivalent is miles better in quality.

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:

• Primary: WaniKani, KaniWani, Bunpro, Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese + workbook, Udemy N3 Course, Memrise, Anki, ひいきびいき and Bilingual News Podcasts
  • Secondary/Supplemental: Tae Kim’s Guide to Japanese, Introduction to Modern Japanese + workbook

FAVE: Absolute fave is still WaniKani. It definitely helped me stay at least somewhat productive during the past difficult month.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: I still have plenty of resources to keep me occupied for now, thank you very much.

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Speaking, as always.
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Not gonna worry too much about addressing my weaknesses this month too much. Just gonna focus on keeping pace with my studies and not stopping.

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #: 5

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 19

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 23

#GOALS

• About WK for kanji and Anki for vocab and setence mining, it was a good month. Very consistent in doing those reviews.:muscle:

• Graded Readers, I’ve gotten to the story N.7 (out of 15) from the Level 2. Mmm… life and some distractions these last weeks :man_shrugging:

• I’m listening japanese for immersion while commuting almost daily. Though I must find some time to put some more content in my MP3 player, since I’m listening the same 3 shows for quite some time now.

• I’ve practicing maybe 3-4 days a week my writing with the Japanese Kanji Study app. 10’ per day, reviewing my WK levels from 1 and up until reaching my current level (until I get an accuracy of 90% o more). I’m still only doing up to level 9 so far.

• I’ve reading Japanese the Manga way. Maybe 1 chapter a week… I’m aiming at 2 /week, and I think it’s quite doable.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• A usual mantaining regularity in my WK and Anki reviews it’s the basic goal I strive. If no big life changes I should be able to keep up with it.

• Finishing the Graded Reader Level 2 it’s high on my list, as I want to go quickly with the entire series and start reading native content already.

• So far writing Kanji I’m halfway getting to practice with my current lessons. Hopefullly by the next month I’ll have catch up with my current lessons in WK, so finally I can integrate practicing kanji writing WHEN learning every new kanji. This is of tremendous help for me for actually differentiating similar kanjis.

• Japanese the Manga Way it’s a great reading for grammar and quite a change from actually doing “textbook style” grammar study (AKA Genki time :sweat_smile: ). A think 2 lessons a week should be a nice pace to keep.
    I consider this the basis for my grammar, at least to make sure I learn a new thing every week. But actually I learn so much more, since sentence reviewing includes all the new grammar concepts I encounter get to be reviewed.

RESOURCES

• WK for kanji

• Anki with this Subs2SRS / Morphman routine for vocab and context sentence mining

• Graded Readers: Midway through Level 2

• Kanji Study App (for writing and easing indentification of kanjis)

• Netflix for inmmersion (I’m sharing my flat this month… so It’s geeting hard to watch much Japanese media :sweat: )

• For grammar I’m using Japanese the Manga Way as a cover to cover read (no drillings and silly dialogues make this a really enjoyable task).

• In sentence mining, whenever I get to a new concept I promptly look for it in jisho, search it DOJG series, and add it to the grammar deck (this one :wink: ). If it’s not in the deck (DOJG) I search it in: A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners, that has becomed my favorite reference resource for grammar actually.

About grammar as well, I’ve been following KawaJapa’s youtube channel. This alongside with her book and also the book Making Sense of Japanese are proving to be extremely clarifying resources regarding japanese sentence structure. I think everyone should give them a look after going through any grammar textbook, as they ease the understanding of grammar a lot.

FAVE: Sentence Mining with Subs2SRS (for me nothing beats studying with the material you consume and already like :yum:)

TRY NEW RESOURCE: A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners. It’s the most comprehensive grammar reference I’ve bumped into. One book, super packed with content, very well structured.

#HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Strive at using material that you enjoy as part of your studies, as this will prove both a challenge and a joy. After all… aren’t you doing this for the fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Progress post #1 (04/08/2018)
Current WaniKani level: 12
In one month I hope to be level… 14

Goals
Last month’s goal report: None

This month’s goal:

• Clear my review list of 700+ items
  • Clear my lesson list of almost 200 items
  • Finish reading Brothers Conflict and review all new kanji and vocab

Resourses
Current Japanese resources:

Fave:

• WaniKanji
  • Jisho
  • honto.jp
  • Memrise
  • はじめての日本語能力試験N3単語2000
  • TRY!文法から伸ばす日本語N3

Least fave:

• Anki
  • Kanji Koohii

Try new resource:

• 日本語総まとめN2読解
  • Bunpro

Japanese Abilty
Current Japanese weakness:

• Writing kanji
  • Grammar
  • Vocabulary

How I will improve above:

• Try to talk more to my Japanese friend
  • Be more consistent about studying Japanese and try to include it in my morning routine
  • Read more in Japanese overall

Helping Others
Tip/advice for learning Japanese:

• Try to get in contact with some native speakers
  • Find the best way for exactly you
  • Try different kinds of texts (for eg. manga, LN, VN, news articles and so on)
  • If you have trouble making time for studying, try to find someone to study along with. That way you can get each other motivated.
  • Learning to write a kanji by hand makes it so much easier to remember both the meaning and readings. It also makes it easier to distinguish between two or more very similar looking kanji.
  • Some languages transfer better over to Japanese than others. If you are multilingual, try learning Japanese with both languages as a starting point

PROGRESS POST 5 (4/10/2018):

LAST PROGRESS POST: 3/6/2018

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 25

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 28

GOALS

• Made my level goal!
  • Also didn’t @*#$ up (too many of) my burns, so. :smile:
  • Didn’t check Kaniwani like at all, though
  • Didn’t do any specific kanji practice
  • Killed Bunpro; only three more lessons left until I’m done with N4
  • Went back home and got my Japanese manga, so reading has been good
  • Practiced speaking/listening through music, if that counts

THIS MONTH’S GOALS:

• Do at least 10 Kaniwani reviews a day
  • Finish N4, lesson 9 on Bunpro
  • Finish reviews and add at least five new words from my Memrise deck every day
  • Check Satori Reader reviews and finish a reading at least once a week
  • Practice kanji from Wanikani levels 10 and 11 using Kanji Study; write each kanji from memory at least once a day

Extras:

• Finish one manga in Japanese per week
  • Practice one verse of a song in Japanese per week
  • Challenge the Kanshudo daily kanji if I’ve already seen it before

RESOURCES

CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, Kaniwani, Bunpro, Satori Reader, Kanshudo, Japanese YouTube, Sokuyomi (Japanese e-manga site), Kanji Study (app), Japanese for Busy People I & II (books)

FAVE: Wanikani (as always)

LEAST FAVE: Still not a huge fan of the organization of Japanese for Busy People

TRY NEW RESOURCE: Satori Reader and Sokuyomi (more often)

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Conversation and Listening

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE:

Speak with Japanese foreign exchange students at my university
Attempt to understand music without the written lyrics before studying them

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Make a system. Keep solidly defined goals. It’s all good and fine to say, “I want to learn more grammar this month,” but it’s a lot harder to keep such a vague goal. Whatever resource you use, commit to doing a certain level of it in a certain amount of time–however much is a reasonable amount to you. It’s fine to go slow, but do something. And making solid goals will make you feel much more accomplished when you actually reach them, which can help prevent burnout.

3 Likes

PROGRESS POST #01:

#WANIKANI
Current Wanikani Level: 4 - still a newbie trying to fit it :disappointed_relieved:

In One Month I Hope to Be Level: 8 - I guess? This is the wkstats estimate, so I guess if I keep up with my current speed I will hopefully progress as predicted.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
Finish 2-3 more Genki I lessons
Keep up with the Wanikani reviews and keep my leveling speed
Read/Review a short grammar chapter every other night

#RESOURCES
Genki I textbook/workbook, Wankani, Kaniwani, Anki (Core10k minus WK, Wanikani Writing Practice, Genki), Imabi, Japanese Ammo Channel, Lingodeer just for fun (and because I need that 100%), Satori Reader

:heart: : Wanikani <3 I’m still on that beginner’s, gotta ride that wave while it lasts
:dizzy_face: : Imabi - it’s great quality and very comprehensive but just not very structured and organized well
Try new resource: A Dictionary of Basic Grammar - ordered it, want to read/review a bit every other night

#JAPANESE ABILITY
Current Weaknesses: Still have to practice kana reading speed - I feel like a first grader
How I will improve above: read a lot, try to read every WK example sentence even if I don’t understand it

#HELPING OTHERS
Tip/Advice for Learning Japanese:
Umm some people have very defined opinions about the best/optimal way to learn japanese but I guess you should do what works for you? I had some people tell me “avoid mehod / thing X at all costs” but if you are aware of the up/downsides and feel it has other good effects you shouldn’t let it stop you. Also not everyone’s goal needs to be “be fluent in X years” but take your time, enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 50

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…55

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: N/A

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: 55

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WK、総まとめ、,家庭教師、色々

FAVE: WK
LEAST FAVE: WK

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: 語彙、しゃべること、読解、

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: より多くのネイティブ資料を読んでみようとする。

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: 無限の我慢ライフを抱く

#PROGRESS POST #1:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 30

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 33

#GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Work on the JLPT N3 course that I’ve chosen on Memrise, and catch up on a lot of grammar using BunPro (haven’t even finished JLPT N5 grammar).

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WaniKani, Memrise, BunPro, Japanese Phone Games

FAVE: Wanikani, very nice to have a set schedule of what I can do.
LEAST FAVE: Phone games. Most of them are just really repetitive or just want money.

TRY NEW RESOURCE: I’ve had Kaniwani sitting around for a while but haven’t really used it, so I’ll try that. I also want to start trying to watch Japanese subtitled anime, since I know a lot of Kanji now, but that should probably wait until I work on my grammar.

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar by far (see above).

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Finish N5 grammar on BunPro, and get through the first 100 of 143 in the N4 course. I’m also on the NihongoShark daily lesson mail list, so I’ll be exposed so some grammar that way. Alternatively, maybe read some more of Tae Kim? I started in that and still have a notebook for it.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Stick with it and find time to do it constantly. There was a while there where I just let reviews pile up on multiple platforms. I used the excuse that I was “too busy” with college, when really I just wasn’t allocating my time well… Got up to about 700 wanikani reviews and 1000 reviews in multiple memrise courses. Don’t do it.

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST# 2 (04/21/18):

#WANIKANI# :crocodile: :crab:

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL:

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL:

#GOALS # :crossed_flags:

#PROGRESS POST #1 (03/21/18)

aimed for 19

I didn’t quite made it, but it’s still close.
there was a week this month we’re I didn’t do any WK reviews. That made clear that I had to do at least some of them to keep them down.

Because I’m using an app for tracking my consistency using my Japanese resources I wanted post the Screenshots in here as well :

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Reach level 21 are on wanikani and finish lessons up to lesson 5 lessons in Japanese the Manga Way.
Learn to write the next 3 sets in my custom group on Kanji Study App (Wanikani Kanji level 1-15)

#RESOURCES# :cherry_blossom:

Wanikani, Japanese the Manga Way, Lingodeer, Anki, Billingual News, Pimsleur and Kanji Study App

FAVE👍🏾:

Still Wanikani /Billingual News because I can quickly do it anywhere at anytime. I also like to study Kanji writing with My Kanji Study App.

LEAST FAVE👎🏾:

None because I stopped using resources that I don’t like. When I had to choose though, I would say Japanese the Manga Way because it takes me relatively more time to do lesson.
I still like the general make up of the Textbook.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:

N/A

#JAPANESE ABILITY # :japan::japanese_castle:

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:

Grammar

Getting more consistent with doing with Japanese the Manga Way lessons.
It would also be quite helpful to do lingodeer more often

**#HELPING OTHERS# **

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE:

Yaay I made it (almost)
I finally statyed consistent and found my own way of doing things (different threads on this forum helped me alot)

This month I learned that it’s important to set goals for yourself. I’m studying engineering and in general don’t got that much time for my Japanese studies right now. Nevertheless I try to squeeze in as much Japanese studying in my day as possible (e.g. WK on the train. Podcast when going to the gym etc).
We all mostly got some little time frames we can use to get things done. Just try to find a way to accomplish it.
For me it’s helpful to see the progress I’ve already made. That’s why I’m using a mix of Loop - Habit Tracker and Mastery .
I hope that I can still optimize my studies and learn much more about this beautiful language. :grin:

#PROGRESS POST #: April 20 2018

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 7

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…10 at least, but if I can get higher that would be awesome.

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: This one is my first report.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: My goal is to reach level 10 and to hopefully finish and master Genki 1

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Wanikani, Tofugu, Genki 1, NHK World Easy Japanese

FAVE: NHK World is the most fun, but i feel Genki 1 is the most useful
LEAST FAVE: Not a big fan of Memrise
TRY NEW RESOURCE: I’ll probably explore NHK more

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar (specifically structuring sentences)

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Once I finish Genki 1 I should have a better grasp on grammar. Also, I’ll practice translating english sentences into japanese the best I can to help recall vocabulary and learn sentence structuring better.
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Have fun doing it! It’s a lot easier to learn something when you enjoy learning it!

#PROGRESS POST #:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 2

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 3 or so.

#GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL(S):

• Learn more words/kanji/radicals
  • Read at least 100 more textbook pages from any book/combination of books.

#RESOURCES

• Genki 1 Textbook and Workbook inc. the vocab app and with the audio files downloaded from the included discs.
  • よつばと vol. 1
  • Kanji from Zero
  • WaniKani
  • Tai Kim’s Grammar Guide
  • Tofugu
    FAVE: WaniKani
    LEAST FAVE: I really don’t know. I suppose the Genki workbook hasn’t really been all that useful, since the textbook also has activities in it.
    TRY NEW RESOURCE: An app simply named “Japanese!”. I downloaded it a while ago, but I haven’t really tried it yet.

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Katakana

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Tofugu has a blog post on learning katakana. The post for hiragana was quite helpful, so I imagine that the post for katakana is, too.
#HELPING OTHERS
It’s great to have some new Japanese book chapters or Japanese songs ready that you haven’t read/listened to yet and you think might contain words you know if your motivation tends to go down quickly.
It could also be useful to have a diversity of resources, so that the learning is less repetitive.
Sleep is most likely also extremely helpful, though I seem not to take my own advice on that one.

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #:1

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 17
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…19

#GOALS
THIS MONTH’S GOAL: I’ve just realised I’ve been doing WaniKani for 10 months, I’m hoping to get to level 20 before my anniversary comes around.

#RESOURCES
I have a bunch more but I’m mostly using:
WaniKani
Spoken Japanese textbook (with my tutor)
Pimsleur
Japanese the Manga Way
Yotsuba
BunPro
LingoDeer
Human Japanese
80/20 Japanese
NHK apps

FAVE: WaniKani - forces me to do something for at least 15 mins a day
LEAST FAVE: Anything requiring me to talk and be engaged in the app/book because I learn in public places (although I know how great these resources are!) Happy to listen & talk while driving.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: Japanese the Manga Way & Yotusba

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Understanding real Japanese sentences (esp with mostly Hiragana)
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: That’s why I’m focusing more on the Manga this month. I also need to get back into Lingodeer, I liked it and it was helping while I was using it. I also want to spend more time with Pimsleur. I don’t think I have time but I might need to get back into using KaniWani/Memorise or similar to reverse my vocab knowledge.

#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Look at what works for others but then (quickly) decide what works for you and stick with it, otherwise you procrastinate trying to find something that works better.

#PROGRESS POST #:

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 3

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 6

#GOALS

• LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Start learning Japanese. :white_check_mark:
  • THIS MONTH’S GOAL: End the day at zero reviews. Find a good grammar book.

#RESOURCES

• CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: Human Japanese Beginner, Quizlet for vocab
  • FAVE: WK for sure
  • LEAST FAVE: Not a fan of Duolingo.
  • TRY NEW RESOURCE: Maybe Japanese Grammar SRS?

#JAPANESE ABILITY

• CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: No real speaking/listening ability.
  • HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Consider finding a conversation partner on italki

#HELPING OTHERS

• TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Learn to enjoy the process. Journey over destination.
2 Likes
PROGRESS POST 5

WaniKani

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 20

IN 30 DAYS I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…24, with 25 as stretch goal

GOALS

• WK level goal: :heavy_check_mark: :metal:
  • Genki 1, one chapter a week :x:
  • Actually catch up to the Yotsuba club and start participating in discussions :x:

MONTH IN REVIEW:
Genki has been totally abandoned. At this point in time, I’m not returning to it for a couple more months. I’ve found that Genki was not helping me understand grammar (even at the most basic level) which made retention an impossibility. Since my grammar knowledge is rather rudimentary in either language, I needed something that was targeted towards self learners that were starting from scratch. To that end, I’ve gone back to Human Japanese. The difference between the two is huge - I’ve finally been able to read and speak in basic sentences. Starting to get to the point where I realize that I know nothing.

Tl;dr
Genki was abandoned, but progress was made

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Continue Human Japanese and finish (Currently at 34/44)
  • Start HJ Intermediate
  • Finish N5 grammar in Bunpro (Currently 44/93)

RESOURCES

• WaniKani
  • KaniWani
  • Hine’s awesome core 10k mod
  • Human Japanese/HJ intermediate
  • Bunpro - Will be using it for logging grammar points
  • Japanese The Manga Way: To supplement HJ for grammar

FAVE: Human Japanese
LEAST FAVE: Genki (which is dropped)
TRY NEW RESOURCE: The website that Tofugu recommended a while back

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:
Grammar

Continue using HJ and logging grammar points into Bunpro.

HELPING OTHERS

Start doing grammar at WK level 1 kids

PROGRESS POST #1

WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 4

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 9

GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

Finish all of N5 grammar in bunpro
Two Chapters a week JFZ

RESOURCES

WK
Bunpro
Japanese from Zero
italki tutor
japaneseclass.jp
Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide

FAVE: italki tutor / WK / KW

LEAST FAVE: Language learning apps

TRY NEW RESOURCE: KaniWani

JAPANESE ABILITY

CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Grammar and comprehension

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Continue to work through JFZ and bunpro. Start AJATT with all media.

HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Don’t get frustrated and give up.

:cherries:PROGRESS POST 2:
(posting a lil early because I’ll be busy later in the week)

:cherries:WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 18
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL 20

:cherries:GOALS
Finish Genki II Chapters 17-20 - half done
Finish Jpod101 Beginner Season 6 + Japanese for Everyday Life - finished BS6 and some of JEL
Study the first 4 N4 sections on BunPro - I’m a…little behind on this one

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
Finish Genki II Chapters 19-23
Finish Jpod101 Japanese for Everyday Life and review line-by-line audio on BS4&5
Study the first 7 N4 sections on BunPro

:cherries:RESOURCES
Wanikani, Jpod101, Genki II, BunPro, native books (Kiki’s Delivery Service etc), Graded Readers, Listening Practice Textbook
FAVE: Graded Readers (such a nice break to studying!)
LEAST FAVE: Genki II
TRY NEW RESOURCE: Given the N4 is coming up I won’t try new resources but double down on the ones I am using :slight_smile:

:cherries:JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Listening
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: more podcasts + N4 practice papers

:cherries:HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Consistency is key! It’s better to do a smaller amount but do it every day than do loads and then flake out for months

1 Like

#PROGRESS POST #: 1

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 17

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 21

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Go trough the so called “fast track”

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Keep doing a level a week, remember post in here :roll_eyes:

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WK

FAVE: WK
LEAST FAVE: Anything not funny.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: Anime and music

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: lol :raised_hands:

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Reading, listening, talking… not writing yet.
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Practice your listening, to know the words actually helps a lot to remembering onyomi. Thanks JPod101!

//See you next month!// (You better remember! :angrymami: ) Not sure I gonna remember… :sweat_smile:

#PROGRESS POST #: 6

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 21

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 22! I shall level up after I am released from the Reorder Script Jail. I have 154 lessons right now…

#GOALS
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT: Read up to Chapter 9 in Genki. I did! Except it’s kind of shaky, so I should probably reinforce my knowledge with the workbook.

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: Read up to chapter 10 and GET 0/0!!!

#RESOURCES
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES: WaniKani, KaniWani, Memrise, Genki, Bunpro, Yotsuba (I’m actually reading it now! I read for 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.)

FAVE: Bunpro? Because there’s never any reviews anymore… oh SRS actually I should learn more grammar so I have more stuff to review there
LEAST FAVE: probably memrise for some reason. the genki vocab is easy to remember but for some reason I’m always lazy to do my memrise reviews.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: no.

#JAPANESE ABILITY
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS:I don’t know

HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: yes
#HELPING OTHERS
TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: Do something every day. Even if you don’t feel like doing anything, do 1 review. Or 3 lessons (too bad you can’t do only 1). You might get into the mood and do more if you want, but don’t have a day where you do absolutely nothing!

2 Likes

Progress Post #1 - finally hopping on the bandwagon.

WaniKani:
Current WK Level: 13
In one month, I hope to be level: …15?

Goals:
Last month’s goal report: not applicable
This month’s goal: Hopefully finally put an end to the terror that is Genki 1 and actually start using Genki 2. Oh, and get back on the Anki train. (Genki vocabulary is kinda weak.)

Resources:
WK, Genki, Anki, DoJG, “various online resources”
Favourite: none
Least Favourite: none
Try: I want to give more Anki decks a try! (Any recommendations?)

Japanese Ability:
lol

How will I improve:
lol

Tip for other people:
Be less critical of yourself than I am. Overestimation isn’t the best, but neither is underestimation. You have the power… to do things. I guess.
Also, you’ll inevitably end up in a month slog (or longer!) when life gets in the way or you simply feel like you’ve done too many things in a day (that have nothing to do with learning Japanese). You can’t avoid 'em, but try to get past that barrier and successfully stay on track, even if you really, REALLY don’t want to.

#PROGRESS POST #: 6

#WANIKANI

CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 23

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL… 26

#GOALS

• Regular pace with WK and Anki (vocab / sentence mining) :white_check_mark:
  • Graded Readers Level 2 (completed) :white_check_mark:
  • Adding more audio to my playlist of passive immersion ( 3 more shows there) :white_check_mark:
  • Writing Kanjis with 90% accuracy until reaching my current WK level :x:
    I’ve reached only up to my level 11 kanjis this weekend. But good thing is that I’ve started to do writing practice while doing new lessons (only for kanji lessons not vocab):man_shrugging:
  • Consistently reading 1-2 lesson / week from Japanese the Manga Way :white_check_mark:

THIS MONTH’S GOAL:

• Reading at least 2 of the 3 volumes from Graded Readers Level 3 (10 stories)
  • Getting with 90% accuracy to my level 18 kanjis at least :muscle::muscle:
  • Keeping 1-2 chapters weekly in Japanese the Manga Way.

Extra Goal: Buying my tickets to Japan and start planning my trip for September 2018 :star_struck:

• WK for kanji
  • Anki with this Subs2SRS / Morphman routine for vocab and context sentence mining
  • Graded Readers Level 3 (starting)
  • Kanji Study App (for writing and easing indentification of kanjis)
  • Netflix for immersion (no eng. subs allowed :nerd_face:) and MP3 player for passive immersion.
  • Grammar
  1. Japanese the Manga Way as cover to cover reading.

2. References: The Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate Japanese Grammar, and my favorite one: A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners.

3. Extra: Cure Dolly’s videos and messaging (on Patreon) for doubts

FAVE:
This month the prize goes for:… Reading!! :nerd_face:
Both Graded readers and sentence mining are the only things that put everything under test, and the sense of accomplishment comes in quickly.

TRY NEW RESOURCE:
As I’m convinced that immersion (netflix and audio) it’s necessary, but honestly the benefit for that time could be much more, I’ve gotten my hands into やさしい日本語の聴解トレーニング. A very recommended book that train you for recognizing those key words that put japanese sentences into sense. Did the first chapter already (ageru kureru morau) and I will report after a couple more chapters.

#HELPING OTHERS

TIP/ADVICE FOR LEARNING JAPANESE: The activity that has kept me motivated the whole way (10 months now) and most likely will bring more and more satisfactions and self accomplishment is READING. Even if you have a limited vocab (300-500 words) and are starting WK, get yourself some Graded readers and start already. It has been the anti-burning method of choice for me. :relieved:

2 Likes

#PROGRESS POST #: 1

#WANIKANI
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 2

IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL…3

#GOALS

THIS MONTH’S GOAL: daily review, keep up using the app on a daily basis.

#RESOURCES
japanesepod101

FAVE: japanesepod101
LEAST FAVE:
TRY NEW RESOURCE:

#JAPANESE ABILITY Can hold basic conversations about general topics.
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Writing

1 Like