#PROGRESS POST #6
CURRENT WANIKANI LEVEL: 28
IN ONE MONTH I HOPE TO BE LEVEL: 32
LAST MONTH’S GOAL REPORT:
- KaniWani: the site’s update was a godsend. I am no longer drowning in reviews and I no longer dread having to do them. I switched it so that I only get new items once I burn them on WK, so the workload will be much more manageable from now on.
- Bunpro: I’ve struggled the most with this/my grammar studies in general this past month. A lot of unforeseen happenings threw off my (non-WK) review groove for a while; this, along with the site’s announcement of a subscription-based system has led me to start weaning the site from my daily/weekly regimen.
- Intermediate Textbook: As mentioned above, I didn’t really progress in my grammar studies very much if at all. So I’m slowly trying to get back onto the horse.
- Udemy N3: Well, I started the Udemy N3 course…as in I did the first lesson of it.
- Memrise: Again, fell off the horse pretty badly this month, so I didn’t achieve my goal here either. But I’m well on my way to finishing the N4 course.
THIS MONTH’S GOAL:
- KaniWani: Keep up with my reviews.
- As a replacement to Bunpro in my study routine, I am re-adding Anki to the mix. A little bit of experimenting with different decks and formats has made the program very useable. I currently have it set to add 50 new cards each to a 10K vocab/listening deck and a Tobira vocab deck daily. I’ve been keeping good pace so far (plus adding a few extra cards to the deck when I’m able), so I should be on pace to finish the Tobira deck by the end of May, which would be awesome. The 10K deck…is gonna take a little bit longer than that.
- Intermediate Textbook: Actually make progress in this textbook. I also need to make its vocab into an Anki deck and start reviewing it as soon as possible. I have a lot of free time this month, so I should be able to at least start that task.
- Udemy N3: Do at least one lesson per week (~get to lesson 5 by my next update).
- Memrise: I’ll definitely finish the N4 course (hopefully within the next week here), but I’m not sure if I’ll continue with the N3 vocab course. I’m definitely dropping the Tobira course, since I found its Anki deck equivalent is miles better in quality.
CURRENT JAPANESE RESOURCES:
- Primary: WaniKani, KaniWani, Bunpro, Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese + workbook, Udemy N3 Course, Memrise, Anki, ひいきびいき and Bilingual News Podcasts
- Secondary/Supplemental: Tae Kim’s Guide to Japanese, Introduction to Modern Japanese + workbook
FAVE: Absolute fave is still WaniKani. It definitely helped me stay at least somewhat productive during the past difficult month.
TRY NEW RESOURCE: I still have plenty of resources to keep me occupied for now, thank you very much.
CURRENT JAPANESE WEAKNESS: Speaking, as always.
HOW I WILL IMPROVE ABOVE: Not gonna worry too much about addressing my weaknesses this month too much. Just gonna focus on keeping pace with my studies and not stopping.