新た Usage ( )

All the examples I’ve seen (in the entry in WK and on Tatoeba) use 新た+な as an adjective, like this one from WK:
この小説は、読み返す度に新たな発見がある。

Is 新た ever used as a noun? As an English speaker I’m having a hard time conceptualizing a noun form of “new.”

• p. s. the ( ) in the title was because WK wanted more characters lol

Its an adjectival noun, which all na-adjectives are. Ive never seen it used purely as a noun tho.

Also, none of the dictionaries I can find have it listed as a noun (名詞). Only 形動.

2 Likes

As mentioned, 新た is more specifically an adjectival noun, which is also what all na-adjectives are. It can be used to function grammatically as a noun, but it’s more common for 新た to be seen in its adjective form (新たな + noun) or being used as an adverb (新たに + ____)

Example of it being used as a noun:

Syntactically, it’s being used as a noun here (noun + copulaです)

From a linguistic standpoint, 新た (and adjectival nouns alike) are a type of noun classified as what’s called a nominal, which means that when acting attributively to describe other words, it takes on a 〜な suffix instead of a 〜の suffix like regular nouns would. (Ex: 新た発見 vs. 旅発見)

It’s also interesting to note that 〜な is an abbreviation of 〜にある, which is what is being used to make these types of nouns attributive

In summary, yes 新た is a type of noun known as an adjectival noun, but for this word specifically, it’s less likely to be seen being used as a noun and more likely to be seen as an adjective or adverb ^^

5 Likes

Novelty or “newness” are “new” nouns, right?

There is a noun version of new, 新 (さら), for example 「さらの帽子」(a new hat).

No guarantees for “no one uses that”, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.