新た Example Sentence

I noticed today all of the example sentences given for 新た use it +な so that it’s functioning more like an adjective than a noun. (I realize this is a totally legit thing to do in Japanese). Observe:

コウイチが新たなオムツせいぞうぎじゅつを発明しました。
Koichi invented a novel diaper-making technique.

九月は自分にとって新たなスタートになりそうな予かんがする。
I feel like September is going to be a fresh start for me.

この小説は、読み返す度に新たな発見がある。
Every time I reread this novel I make a new discovery.

Could anyone share a sentence or two where 新た is functioning as just a noun? Thanks.

Because 新た is a na-adjective, it seems like it’s more common to see it with the な afterwords. If you want to use it by itself, you’d do it the same way you would with other adjectives and na-adjectives.

These two (extremely basic) sentences are more or less the same:
この本は新たですか。
この本は新しいですか。
Is this book new?

There are some differences in nuance between 新た and 新しい. I don’t feel particularly qualified to talk about that, so you might find this explanation from a native more helpful: https://www.italki.com/question/71446

1 Like

It’s a な adjective (形容動詞), not a noun (名詞)

What is a noun (名詞) in Japanese?

1. It is an independent word (自立語) (this means it’s not a particle or auxiliary)
  2. It can’t be conjugated (活用がない)
  3. It can become a subject (主語)

Does 新た meet these?

1. Yes, it is an independent word.
  2. It can be conjugated.
  3. It can’t become a subject.

So, 新た fails on 2 of the 3 criteria.

1 Like

The OP might be confused since WaniKani says it’s a na-adjective, adverb, and noun, and jisho says it’s a na-adjective and noun. But Goo and Weblio only list it as 形動, so I wonder where jisho (and WaniKani) got those other parts of speech from.

Related to your answer, do you have a source (even if only in Japanese) for those criteria? I’d like to read more about it if possible.

You can see those in just a Japanese dictionary definition of 名詞, but here’s a video where all the parts of speech are separated out by criteria.

The WK part of speech categories don’t seem to be well thought out to me. It’s like they’re a combination of descriptors for how the translated words would function in English and proper Japanese parts of speech.

5 Likes

Ah, I didn’t think to just look it up in a dictionary haha. Thanks for the video as well.

In that case, I think a Tofugu staff member (I don’t know who to tag, but perhaps you do?) should change the meaning in the lessons:

Meaning Explanation
This is the noun version of the kanji new, so it means new too.

I’ll send an email and see what they say.

Oh, and it should be pointed out that it is possible for a word to be both a 名詞 and a 形容動詞.

One example is 元気.

But I can find no evidence that 新た is one of these words.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.