文豪ストレイドッグス わん! (Bungou Stray Dogs Wan!) - Home Thread (Hiatus)

This is Bungou Stray Dogs comedy manga spin-off Wan! reading club.
Everyone’s welcome, but knowledge of the main series is required to enjoy the spin-off.
(Bungou Stray Dogs itself is not comedy manga. Wikipedia lists it as action/mystery/supernatural.)

Here are some free sample chapters.

Schedule for Volume 1 (2020)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 1-3 August 31st
Week #2 Chapters 4-6 September 7th
Week #3 Chapters 7-9 September 14th
Week #4 Chapters 10-12 September 21st
Week #5 Chapters 13-15 September 28th
Week #6 Chapters 16-18 October 5th
Week #7 Chapters 19-21 October 12th

Schedule for Volume 2 (2020)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 22-23 November 2nd
Week #2 Chapters 24-25 November 9th
Week #3 Chapters 26-28 November 16th
Week #4 Chapters 29-31 November 23rd
Week #5 Chapters 32-34 November 30th
Week #6 Chapters 35-37 December 7th
Week #7 Chapters 38-40 December 14th

Schedule for Volume 3 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 41-43 January 4th
Week #2 Chapters 44-46 January 11th
Week #3 Chapters 47-49 January 18th
Week #4 Chapters 50-52 January 25th
Week #5 Chapters 53-55+描き下ろし February 1st

Schedule for Volume 4 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 56-58 February 15th
Week #2 Chapters 59-61 February 22nd
Week #3 Chapters 62-64 March 1st
Week #4 Chapters 65-67 March 8th
Week #5 Chapters 68-70 March 15th

Schedule for Volume 5 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 71-77 March 22 7 chapters
Week #2 Chapters 78-83+extras March 29 7 chapters

Schedule for Volume 6 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 84-90 April 5 7 chapters
Week #2 Chapters 91-97+extras April 12 7 chapters+extras

Schedule for Volume 7 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 98-103 April 19 6 chapters
Week #2 Chapters 104-109+extras April 26 6 chapters+extras

Schedule for Volume 8 (2021)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 110-115 May 3 6 chapters
Week #2 Chapters 116-121+extras May 10 6 chapters+extras

Schedule for Volume 9 (2022)

hidden here
Week Goal Start Date
Week #1 Chapters 122-128 March 7
Week #2 Chapters 129-135 + extras March 14

Where to buy

Bookwalker digital
Amazon digital
Amazon paper
CDJapan paper

If you don’t like any of the options above, here is topic about other reading resources.

First version of the first post for archival purposes

I wanted to check if anybody would be interested in doing Bungou Stray Dogs bookclub.

I’m willing to do any option - main manga series, Wan! manga series or novels.
Wan! is probably the easiest, because it’s just a collection of gags, but it also requires one to already be invested in the series.

There were also some polls here, but they lost their formatting after I’ve hidden them.

1 Like

Do you mind adding some details or a synopsis for those of us who know nothing about this series?

Not that I would join, I’m already drowning in book clubs possibly because I put way too much time in making random topics.

Haha, I realize I should do it, but I was secretly hoping nobody will ask for it, because I’m so hopeless at advertising things that I like & to make matters worse, it’s such a strange series. So I was hopeful I’ll just attract people who already heard about it & are interested.

It’s not like Harry Potter or One Piece bookclubs have a synopis…

But, yeah, since you called me out, I guess I’ll have to try to do my best. :smiley:

Edit: Added. :confounded:

1 Like

I don’t really need another book club but… it is Bungou Stray Dogs though…and I’m so tempted

3 Likes

We can always start later, there’s no rush!

Btw, now I’m wondering how many people should join for a bookclub to make sense. Any suggestions?

1 Like

No real suggestions, but you can also look at the main thread of different book clubs. There are often some polls to gauge interest before the start, and then compare it with the most recent thread, which often also have polls about who is reading along / lagging behind / has given up on the book.

It’ll give you an idea about how many people might signal interest, versus the amount of people that tends to stick with the club over a longer time.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I read volume 1 of Shin Chan with just two other people and I enjoyed it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Omun and @nienque beat me to it but yes there’s no real set number for any of the clubs. One of the book clubs I’m in is the わんわん探偵団 book club.

Just for comparison here’s how many people voted they’d like to take part in the book.

This is how many people started reading the book in week 1.

We’re now into week 15 of the book club and this is the most recent participation poll at the time of me writing this post.

I’d leave the poll open for a bit and see how many other people vote and decide from there what you want to do.

Although nienque has shown you don’t need an awful lot of people to enjoy reading together.

5 Likes

In nienque case, there were still 7 people who said they are reading along initially. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m aware of the high dropout rates - in Kiki’s bookclub case, there were:

• Initial poll: 155 people
  • Week 1: 77 people who are reading along
  • Week 4 (now): 26 people who are reading along

And it’s not like everyone’s active anyway.

And in Re Zero bookclub there are 4 people who stayed even after 1 year. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, so let me rephrase my question then. People who voted yes. Do you want to do a small bookclub.
Also, this series is rather intermediate level and for me it’s a challenge. So I won’t be able to help with harder questions, rather it would be me who needs help. I can read it, because I tried already, but there are parts which I’m unsure of.
I was gonna read it anyway on my own, so for me personally even one more person along for a ride is a bonus.

I also think we have to decide if we are going with bonus materials - novels & Wan! or with the main manga, because I guess different people would join then. Looking at the pool, it seems that novels are winning, although not everyone voted.

I think I personally prefer Wan! or novels because it’s a shorter goal and more manageable, so I changed my vote.

Can I ask everyone to tell me a bit about their expectations? Do you know the series already? What is the most interesting bit for you to explore?

2 Likes

Yeah, the amount of comments can depend on how comfortable people are with the book, I know if I have no issues understanding I might just make the odd comment about something to do with plot etc.

As for reading material I don’t really mind which we read, although the main manga or Wan being illustrated would help give more context if there are parts that are harder to understand, you don’t get that with novels.

I know the series fairly well, I’ve watched all three seasons of the anime and the film.

1 Like

I’m interested because I love the show, I just don’t know if I’m good enough for it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

On the other hand, with novels you can get an ebook and super quick words check :upside_down_face:
And I’ve been disoriented so many times by (different) mangas when character started to talk about their life philosophy or about action plan that I don’t trust them anymore as being easier beings because of visual cues :smiley:

But. Wan! is easier overall, because like I said, it’s just collection of gags, some 4 panels, some not, but all short. And @ ObolioJ here said he’s interested, but he’s not sure about his skills.

Here 各話一覧|文豪ストレイドッグス わん! - 朝霧カフカ / かないねこ / 春河35|ヤングエースUP are some free sample chapters.

This one is a good example of both overall difficulty and general mood:

It’s not the end of the ministory, it’s continued here [第3話]文豪ストレイドッグス わん! - 朝霧カフカ / かないねこ / 春河35|ヤングエースUP I just didn’t want to clutter WK with too many images.

ObolioJ, what do you think?

1 Like

Okay, so.
There are some more people who voted in the poll, but they are silent. And, um, I have a feeling that people who are silent now won’t get any more talkative later.
And ObolioJ got lost somewhere, too.

Right now I think that only you, @ DollyDaydream, aren’t ignoring me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I said before, if nobody’s interested, I may as well just do it on my own :woman_shrugging: but I don’t want to abandon you. So I’ll let you decide.
Let’s say we go with Wan! because I still think it’s the best starting point if we’re both familiar with the series already. Do you want to do it just with the two of us? If so, when would you like to start?

And if you decide to take care of your other book(club)s for now after all, I’m totally fine with it. x)

1 Like

I’m not ignoring you! I’m definitely interested, so I’m just waiting to see what seems to be the consensus opinion on what will be read.

1 Like

same as above :eyes:

But if everybody’s waiting for consensus opinion, then there is no consensus opinion!

And I specifically asked you if Wan! is fine, especially since in the poll you voted for main series.
See? Here! :point_down:

And

you, my dear, get a special treatment, because you’re an inspiration for all this mess, so I was gonna @ you anyway if it goes as public reading. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My mom was right I am special :star_struck:

3 Likes

Let’s do it.

1 Like

I’d like to join too! Even if there’s only a few of us reading it I think it’d be fun. From what I’ve seen in the thread you guys have settled on wan right?

1 Like

If everyone else is good with it I’m happy reading Wan :blush:

1 Like